Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 04:30 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,424,932 times

Advertisements

Tell ya this, i had a carreer and i was also a stay at home Mom. Guess which one was more demanding, more hard work, more sacrifices, the whole 9 yards. Work was easy for me at least.

And having money is relevant to raising one's own children, not paying someone else to do this for you, when the decision would be so easy to hire help. I admire that, and any Women who makes that sacarifice to stay home and raise her own children.
Because you have money does not mean you do not expereince the same issues as others, you do. Money does not cure illnessesses, or children who have strayed beccause of drugs or the wrong crowd. People need to just have a crutch for *****--- and it appears, it is those who believe in hard work, and not GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS AND FREEBIES, WHICH one party, seems so freely to beleive in, the give me crowd and there are plenty of them out there.
Obama gave us empty promises that were a lie, Cause this ain't CHANGE AND IT SURE AS HELL AIN'T NO HOPE. The only hope now, is to get somone into office who does not apologize for the US and cares truly for all Americans equally. And has a business sense, to get this economy moving, and not a manufactured economy.
I like to rip his finger off his hand, he points those fingers at everyone but himself for his own stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,470,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
If you're getting taxpayer money to breed and raise your kids, yeah, I want them to work a bit for the privilege.
um yeah. I see how some people in here feel about lower income people.

I'm just curious. Is there anyone actually poor that can chime in on their opinion about the OP?

Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,397,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Interesting comments from January:

"Poor women, he said, shouldn't be given a choice, but instead should be required to work outside the home to receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families benefits. "[E]ven if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work," Romney said of moms on TANF."

"Shouldn't be given a choice..." Wow.
Now, I personally have no issue with this requirement, but, it does seem a tad hypocritical coming from the guy who claims that his wife was WORKING when she stayed at home with their kids. Does that mean that doing laundry, washing dishes, preparing meals, giving baths, etc. is only work when rich people do it?

""I wanted to increase the work requirement," said Romney. "I said, for instance, that even if you have a child 2 years of age, you need to go to work. And people said, 'Well that's heartless.' And I said, 'No, no, I'm willing to spend more giving day care to allow those parents to go back to work. It'll cost the state more providing that daycare, but I want the individuals to have the dignity of work.'""

I guess I am trying to understand why Mr. Romney would advocate for forcing some women into the work-force and their children into daycare when all we've heard for the past week or so is that staying at home with the kids IS work.

So, is it only work when you can afford to stay home?

Mitt Romney: Mothers Should Be Required To Work Outside Home Or Lose Benefits
As it should be. I don't want them staying home on my dime, we've tried that before and it didn't work.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,397,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post

I'm just curious. Is there anyone actually poor that can chime in on their opinion about the OP?
Who cares what they think? They are spending our money we call the shots.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:56 PM

26,418 posts, read 15,011,684 times
Quote:

If I mail you my address, would you send me a monthly check so I can choose to stay home with my kid. It would be great to quit my job and be a full time parent.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If I mail you my address, would you send me a monthly check so I can choose to stay home with my kid. It would be great to quit my job and be a full time parent.
Yes. Send me your address and social security number.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Who cares what they think? They are spending our money we call the shots.
I was referring to the working poor.

Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM

26,418 posts, read 15,011,684 times
Quote:
Yes. Send me your address and social security number.
I'll take that as a No. You will not send me a check so I can choose to stay home.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:17 PM

15,513 posts, read 10,470,558 times
“While I was governor,” Romney said, “85 percent of the people on a form of welfare assistance in my state had no work requirement. I wanted to increase the work requirement. I said, for instance, that even if you have a child two years of age, you need to go to work. And people said, ‘Well that’s heartless,’ and I said ‘No, no, I’m willing to spend more giving daycare to allow those parents to go back to work. It’ll cost the state more providing that daycare, but I want the individuals to have the dignity of work.’”

^^^^ This is the quote I've been reading all day on the various blogs. It appears to me that he wanted the state to pay for daycare in place of welfare, and that daycare would cost the state more. Imho, that would benefit the mom and the state in the long run. However, I'm the one who's probably heartless, I don't think the state should pay for either (unless the mom/parent is injured or sick). I dunno, it seems like more of a moderates point of view to me. It's stretching it to say he doesn't think being a stay at home mom is work. Boy, people are really digging.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:21 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,838,134 times
The Romney's took the air out of the fake outrage over Mommygate today. They just aren't ready for prime time.

First Read - Romney offers policy details at closed-door fundraiser
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections