Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please specify your reason/s for not voting for a Mormon for President
I could never vote for a non-Christian for President and Mormons aren’t Christians. 7 38.89%
I disagree with certain Mormon practices and beliefs. This is my chance to retaliate. 4 22.22%
Mormonism is so outlandish. Anyone who believes it has to be crazy; who wants a crazy president? 7 38.89%
I’m afraid Romney would try to turn the country into a Mormon theocracy. 5 27.78%
It’s complicated. I just hate Mormons on general principle. 2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 AM

28,100 posts, read 29,963,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Katzpur, you know, but I am saying this for the benefit of others, I am a former Mormon and a Democrat. I am critical of Mormonism and am intimately familiar with all of its negatives (and positives). I don't like Romney; I really don't.

So, it would seem that I would have all the motivation in the world to jump on the band wagon of hating Romney because he is Mormon. But, I am not because that would not be fair. If I thought Romney's Mormonism would be a serious threat to this country if he were elected, I'd be shouting it from the rooftops, but I don't.
I'm glad you weighed in on this Hueff. I'm a Mormon and a left-leaning independent who isn't intending on voting for Romney. But I think you've made a good point. Regardless of what people think about Mormonism, the fear that Romney's Mormonism would make him some kind of a threat to the country is just plain nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:27 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
I couldn't vote in the poll because it didn't have a choice I could select. I don't care about Romney's religion or anybody else's for that matter.

I am not a Mormon, and I'll never be a Mormon. I was raised Catholic and if I ever became so disenchanted with my religion I'd just follow the 7 Noahide Laws and convert to Judaism in a Sephardic congregation. Why? Jesus was a Jew. But, since Rabbis don't proselytize and are not too keen on conversion the chances of that happening are slim to none.

I won't vote for Romney because after reading the plan he put forth on his website I've concluded he is George W Bush 3.0. I will give him credit for not wearing his religion on his sleeve like GWB did. In that regard, Romney has more class than GWB. Then again, that's not saying much.

Now, if Romney were elected POTUS and he starts surrounding himself with nothing but Mormons and starts doing sweetheart business deals/contracts/favors for the 12 in Salt Lake, then I'd have a problem with him and his religion.

Regarding the "specifics" that some on this thread are wanting I'll just suggest they take a good look at the people who make an issue of it. These folks, for the most part, are people who were raised "Christians" but who are "born again" (meaning they have really screwed up in the past). Attending church for them was always more of a social thing than anything else. After being "born again", they love to walk around like miss goody two shoes. They have a lot of underlying mental health issues, a lot. They love to go to Church, do whatever their pastor says and they just cannot live without meddling into other people's business and pointing fingers at others while seldom, if ever, taking a good honest look at themselves. They also love to sign people up to go to their church. Anybody different from them is suspect. A lot of them don't like anybody, not even themselves. Talk about control freaks and co-dependence!

Some of the pastors these folks blindly follow are quite ignorant themselves. Historically, these various "Christian" sects have maintained that the Pope is the anti-Christ, that the Roman Catholic Church is not Christian, that Catholicism is a cult (yep, Mormons are not the only ones accused of this nonsense), that Catholics don't believe in the Bible, that Jews killed Christ, that the bible says it's OK to enslave others, that Mormonism is a cult, etc., etc, etc. Most of them don't even know that if it weren't for the Roman Catholic Church, they wouldn't have a Bible.

In summary, these folks who are punishing Romney for being a Mormon are more likely to be bigots. Simple as that.

Also, I happen to believe that organized religion has evolved into a heck of a business. Evangelicals love to proselytize and so do the Mormons. The cynic in me can't avoid thinking that the Evangelicals resent the Mormons cutting into their action. But hey, that's just me.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:11 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times
sorry opening post how about adding option of

wont vote for him because of his policies not because of his religion?

Romney is the exact same replica of Obama
no point voting for romney unless you want 8 years of obama instead of 4.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
sorry opening post how about adding option of

wont vote for him because of his policies not because of his religion?
That would completely defeat the purpose of the thread. Not voting for Romney because of his policies is, in my opinion, a completely legitimate reason not to vote for him. My thread is, therefore, to people who won't vote for him because of his religion.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:05 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
I would think Romney's religion would keep Romney from voting for himself. Doesn't the Book of Mormon take a very strong stance against lying?

Old 04-19-2012, 03:00 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Doesn't the Book of Mormon take a very strong stance against lying?
Yes.

2 Nephi 9:34 "Wo unto the liar, for he shall be thrust down to hell".

Old 04-19-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I would think Romney's religion would keep Romney from voting for himself. Doesn't the Book of Mormon take a very strong stance against lying?
So does the Bible. I guess every candidate in the running is up against a rock and a hard place. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, bob.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:45 PM

159 posts, read 575,298 times
Maybe this thread should be directed towards the people who live in Massachusettes. When Mitt Romney was governor did he try to convert the Massachusettes residents into Mormons? Did his religious beliefs interfere with his ability to govern the state?

Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm glad you weighed in on this Hueff. I'm a Mormon and a left-leaning independent who isn't intending on voting for Romney. But I think you've made a good point. Regardless of what people think about Mormonism, the fear that Romney's Mormonism would make him some kind of a threat to the country is just plain nuts.
It's just as nutty as people thinking President Obama is a Muslim and look at how much traction that has gotten.

If you think of America has a White, Christian nation, which many, especially conservatives do, than anybody that doesn't fit that mold isn't being to get their vote.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
If you think of America has a White, Christian nation, which many, especially conservatives do, than anybody that doesn't fit that mold isn't being to get their vote.
Half of America can't even decide on what constitutes "white" and "Christian."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections