Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Please specify your reason/s for not voting for a Mormon for President
I could never vote for a non-Christian for President and Mormons aren’t Christians. 7 38.89%
I disagree with certain Mormon practices and beliefs. This is my chance to retaliate. 4 22.22%
Mormonism is so outlandish. Anyone who believes it has to be crazy; who wants a crazy president? 7 38.89%
I’m afraid Romney would try to turn the country into a Mormon theocracy. 5 27.78%
It’s complicated. I just hate Mormons on general principle. 2 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:06 AM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
BTW, the mormon church required a 10% tithe for membership. So just how much money did Romney really donate?
Not that it will matter to you in the slightest, but this is inaccurate information. No financial contribution is required for membership in the LDS Church. There are millions of Mormons today who do not pay one cent in tithing. As a Mormon myself, I did not pay any tithing at all for a period of several years. Nobody said a word about it to me. Romney's contributions to the Church were voluntary, and they exceeded the ten percent the Church asks (not requires) of its members. On top of that, he donated millions to other organizations as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 09:17 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,804,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not sure you the "you" and "we" are in this statement. I voted for Obama and have never said he was either Muslim or Kenyan.

Yes, Romney actually is a Mormon, and his being a Mormon is something he's attacked for. If his religion is going to be an issue, I'd be interested in knowing some specifics. What is it about his religion that is causing the animosity? That's why I started the poll.
For-republican voters who are going to vote (or not) for Romney based on religion would be the same one who see and preach Obama is a Muslim Kenyan. It matters little to them that it isn't really true. So, in this case, truth isn't going to change their heart. The only thing is (to many of them) would be their degree of hatred towards Obama. We're talking about social authoritarians here.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,892,827 times
Quote:
Not that it will matter to you in the slightest, but this is inaccurate information. No financial contribution is required for membership in the LDS Church. There are millions of Mormons today who do not pay one cent in tithing. As a Mormon myself, I did not pay any tithing at all for a period of several years. Nobody said a word about it to me. Romney's contributions to the Church were voluntary, and they exceeded the ten percent the Church asks (not requires) of its members. On top of that, he donated millions to other organizations as well.
But, in order to obtain and maintain a current temple recommend (as all good adult Mormons are supposed to do), the LDS Church does require that they pay a tithe of 10% of their income.

I don't like it when you give partial responses to poster's slightly incorrect remarks. Show them where they are wrong...fine, but also show them where they are right, even if it makes the church look bad a little bit. Simply telling them they are completely wrong, leaves them to think that either you are lying to them, or that there is no truth in what they have heard, neither of which is true.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
But, in order to obtain and maintain a current temple recommend (as all good adult Mormons are supposed to do), the LDS Church does require that they pay a tithe of 10% of their income.
Does that include capital gains?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,892,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Does that include capital gains?
LOL Yes. But, there is some disagreement among the members about whether it should be 10% on one's gross or 10% on one's net, although the mainline view seems to hold that it should be on one's gross.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:46 AM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:

I don't like it when you give partial responses to poster's slightly incorrect remarks. Show them where they are wrong...fine, but also show them where they are right, even if it makes the church look bad a little bit. Simply telling them they are completely wrong, leaves them to think that either you are lying to them, or that there is no truth in what they have heard, neither of which is true.
Fair enough, but the statement was false. There is no charge to become a Mormon. That is a fact. I was never harrassed or shunned or anything else during the several years when I did not pay tithing. That is a fact. Non-tithe payers may speak in church, teach classes and offer public prayers. That is a fact. Tithing is a requirment for a temple recommend. That is also a fact. Happy now?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,191,811 times
Quote:
LOL Yes. But, there is some disagreement among the members about whether it should be 10% on one's gross or 10% on one's net, although the mainline view seems to hold that it should be on one's gross.
Dang really? That sucks. Let Caesar get his rendered first guys, jeez.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Fair enough, but the statement was false. There is no charge to become a Mormon. That is a fact. I was never harrassed or shunned or anything else during the several years when I did not pay tithing. That is a fact. Non-tithe payers may speak in church, teach classes and offer public prayers. That is a fact. Tithing is a requirment for a temple recommend. That is also a fact. Happy now?
Why does it matter if it is just a charge, or the truth? Either way, the intent is the same: mixing religion and politics.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:35 AM

215 posts, read 307,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Being a christian is controversial?
I didn't say, being a christian...
but the religion someone is involved in is!

Old 04-23-2012, 12:47 PM

22,177 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by me in RI View Post
I didn't say, being a christian...
but the religion someone is involved in is!
You said Obama's religion so you did say Christian....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections