Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And yet, you continue to vigorously defend Mormonism, even while admitting it employs vicious tactics against those the church disagrees with. In other words, you pick and choose what you like within the religion and disregard the rest. The fact that the church is out there employing it's fiscal strength--power it derives in part from your tithing--to destroy lives is apparently A-OK with you as long as you give lip service to the fact that you "disagree" with them on that. I think that says more about you than about the religion itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You make a good argument. why doesn't she and other like-minded "progressive mormons" make their opinions known within their church? Katzpur has said in the past that there were many other mormons who were against the vicious attacks to bolster Prop 8. Why don't these many fingers get together and make a fist?
Do you all really think the Mormon Church is worse than evangelical churches?

Old 05-19-2012, 11:25 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Do you all really think the Mormon Church is worse than evangelical churches?
The real question should be, do I think the Mormon church is better than Evangelical churches, and the answer is no. I can't see a difference between them. Their hateful campaign in the California Proposition 8 initiative, and the amount of money and vitriol they heaped on the state as they set about to destroy the lives of people they disagreed with--people whose lifestyle has zero impact on anyone else but simply doesn't comply with their own religious bigotry--pretty much showed us exactly who they are.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:32 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,691,026 times
Muslims want to kill you if you don't accept their beliefs. Mormons just wait until after your dead. Then they do their baptisms for the dead to get you on their rolls.

I will take Mormon Romney over Muslim Obama any day, all the time.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Romney Challenge: Most Americans have unfavorable view of Mormons?
Well, let's see. Mitt is basically tied with obama in the polls, he has republican support behind him AND evangelicals....the Mormon issue doesn't seem to BE one.

Old 05-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Muslims want to kill you if you don't accept their beliefs. Mormons just wait until after your dead. Then they do their baptisms for the dead to get you on their rolls.

I will take Mormon Romney over Muslim Obama any day, all the time.
Even if your sweeping generalizations about Muslims were true (and if you're going to go there, the same generalizations apply to all fundamentalists, no matter what religion) they have no bearing in this conversation because Obama is not a Muslim.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:13 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
The real question should be, do I think the Mormon church is better than Evangelical churches, and the answer is no. I can't see a difference between them.

OK,thats a fair point.....so I guess you would agree that there is no reason to single out the mormons then?

I don't recall your personal stance but many on here throw all their anger at the mormons while giving all the other churches and their followers a free pass.There weren't enough mormons in California to cause anything to pass or fail,even if they let the children vote too.It went the way it did because a majority of voters who were catholics,protestants,jews,muslims,etc voted the way they did.I'm sure plenty of California mormons voted against the churches position,i'm sure most didn't,same as many other churches.

Plenty of people who aren't even a little religious vote against gay marriage too.I know plenty of people in Maryland who will vote against it this fall who wouldn't go in any church at gunpoint.

I hope in the future the LDS church doesn't take an active role on the issue.It hasn't won us friends on either side of the issue and is a distraction from more important issues that actually impact members of the church.In the end gay marriage isn't an issue the LDS church,or any other church,will be deciding anyway...the courts will.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Mormons just wait until after your dead. Then they do their baptisms for the dead to get you on their rolls.

People who have had proxy baptisims are not 'put on the rolls'.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:34 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
OK,thats a fair point.....so I guess you would agree that there is no reason to single out the mormons then?

I don't recall your personal stance but many on here throw all their anger at the mormons while giving all the other churches and their followers a free pass.There weren't enough mormons in California to cause anything to pass or fail,even if they let the children vote too.It went the way it did because a majority of voters who were catholics,protestants,jews,muslims,etc voted the way they did.I'm sure plenty of California mormons voted against the churches position,i'm sure most didn't,same as many other churches.

Plenty of people who aren't even a little religious vote against gay marriage too.I know plenty of people in Maryland who will vote against it this fall who wouldn't go in any church at gunpoint.

I hope in the future the LDS church doesn't take an active role on the issue.It hasn't won us friends on either side of the issue and is a distraction from more important issues that actually impact members of the church.In the end gay marriage isn't an issue the LDS church,or any other church,will be deciding anyway...the courts will.
You mormons are always screaming about how you are "singled out" and persecuted for your beliefs. boo hoo. If that's the way that you feel about it, you shouldn't have donated millions of dollars to a hateful, lying, deceitful campaign to remove the civil rights that were granted to gay Californians. You know that the non-partisan Calif Field Poll had said that the measure would FAIL as recently as August 2008, three months before the election. then those nasty mormons got into gear, started knocking on doors in northern, central Calif, donating millions of dollars because of the "call" from God that those kweers just had to be put in their place. Too many of you "good" mormons remained silent when all of this was going on.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
This thread is about Mormonism, and I was responding to a poster who asked if it was any worse than Evangelical Christianity. I wasn't singling Mormons out, just pointing out that they are no better than fundamentalists of any other religious sect.

Quote:
There weren't enough mormons in California to cause anything to pass or fail,even if they let the children vote too.
Maybe not, but there sure was a hell of a lot of Mormon cash--in the neighborhood of $20 million--thrown at the campaign to influence the vote. The Mormon church has their fingerprints all over this, and even they seem to know what a PR disaster this turned into for the church.

You can parse it 20 ways to Sunday, you can deflect by claiming they are no worse than other fundamentalist religions (and I agree--they are exactly the same) but you can't change LDS history.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
You mormons are always screaming about how you are "singled out" and persecuted for your beliefs. boo hoo. If that's the way that you feel about it, you shouldn't have donated millions of dollars to a hateful, lying, deceitful campaign to remove the civil rights that were granted to gay Californians. You know that the non-partisan Calif Field Poll had said that the measure would FAIL as recently as August 2008, three months before the election. then those nasty mormons got into gear, started knocking on doors in northern, central Calif, donating millions of dollars because of the "call" from God that those kweers just had to be put in their place. Too many of you "good" mormons remained silent when all of this was going on.
I'm not 'screaming about anything',merely pointing out a flaw in your logic.If most catholics,the church that your family belong too,hadn't voted the way their church told them to the result would have been different,even if 'every' mormon in the state of California followed their church position,which i'm sure many didn't.

I didn't donate any money and over on the east coast I never even heard anyone in the LDS church even mention what was going on in California.Contrary to the opinion of many the subject of homosexuality isn't a big topic on Sunday.I rarely hear it mentioned and have never heard any lengthy discussion about any gay issues in church.

I don't know what polls said three months before the election but I have stated repeatedly my contention that 'all' polls are worthless 3 months before an election.I never pay them any mind until about 10 days out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections