Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Isnt that the exact same thing you want Obama to do?
You made that up.

Defend your candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
You made that up.

Defend your candidate.

Lol, you certainly can't defend the mess Obama has made of the economy. That is why we haven't heard a possitive word about Obama from you. There isn't much to say.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:04 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
You made that up.
So left wingers dont want Obama to close loopholes? Really? Then why is he proposing to close loopholes to help fund student loans?
White House: Closing tax loophole could fund student loans - Chicago Tribune
Quote:
Defend your candidate.
whats there to defend? He closed loopholes, who could possibly be against that?

Old 04-26-2012, 10:59 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,058 times
Quote:
Romney and the state legislature cut $1.6 billion from the 2004 budget and generated more than $500 million by raising fees and closing corporate tax loopholes -- actions considered tax increases and called out as such by Grover Norquist.

Massachusetts businesses got a 20% tax increase.

Mr. Norquist regards the changes as tax hikes.

“They changed the laws and the rules to significantly raise taxes,†he said. “That is a tax increase.â€
Why do liberals assume we care what other prominent right-wing figures think? I don't care about Limbaugh, Norquist, anyone. He can call it whatever he wants. Norquist also says he trusts Romney to be a conservative president on taxes, but I don't care that he said that either. I don't know any conservative personally who talks about which candidates have signed Norquist's Taxpayer Pledge and which ones haven't, because, in spite of what the media tells you, we judge candidates on our own.

The GOP has never been against closing loopholes. Romney has never been against closing loopholes. Most GOP figures in Congress and the Senate have called for closing loopholes in the corporate tax code. This is completely consistent with what the party and Romney have been supporting. Get over the fact that Norquist is not the head of our party, Limbaugh is not the head of our party, Coulter is not the head of our party. If anything, the de facto head of our party is Governor Mitt Romney. Norquist can call it whatever he wants. I guess by Grover's definition the GOP has been supporting tax increases. Even ones who have signed his pledge. So be it then, we'll have to agree to disagree on our definition of tax increases, though I find it humorous that you like Norquist's definition so much. Either way, there's no room for differentiation between the parties on this issue since they both support closing those loopholes.

Why do you post so much about Romney? Why don't you tell me why I should re-elect Obama. I love how you tell us we need to defend our candidate, which by all reasonable standards we have done so in this thread and others quite successfully, but you don't even attempt to do that for Obama.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Why do liberals assume we care what other prominent right-wing figures think? I don't care about Limbaugh, Norquist, anyone. He can call it whatever he wants. Norquist also says he trusts Romney to be a conservative president on taxes, but I don't care that he said that either. I don't know any conservative personally who talks about which candidates have signed Norquist's Taxpayer Pledge and which ones haven't, because, in spite of what the media tells you, we judge candidates on our own.

The GOP has never been against closing loopholes. Romney has never been against closing loopholes. Most GOP figures in Congress and the Senate have called for closing loopholes in the corporate tax code. This is completely consistent with what the party and Romney have been supporting. Get over the fact that Norquist is not the head of our party, Limbaugh is not the head of our party, Coulter is not the head of our party. If anything, the de facto head of our party is Governor Mitt Romney. Norquist can call it whatever he wants. I guess by Grover's definition the GOP has been supporting tax increases. Even ones who have signed his pledge. So be it then, we'll have to agree to disagree on our definition of tax increases, though I find it humorous that you like Norquist's definition so much. Either way, there's no room for differentiation between the parties on this issue since they both support closing those loopholes.

Why do you post so much about Romney? Why don't you tell me why I should re-elect Obama. I love how you tell us we need to defend our candidate, which by all reasonable standards we have done so in this thread and others quite successfully, but you don't even attempt to do that for Obama.

I do hope that our elected officials care more about what their constituents want to have happen than what Mr. Norquist, et. al. expect from them.
Perhaps if more people stated their feelings to their representatives as eloquently as is stated above, Mr. Norquist and the rest wouldn't get so much attention or wield so much power.

For the record, I don't agree with much of anything Mr. Norquist has to say.

The fact remains, though, that what Mr. Romney did in MA did result in tax increases and increased revenue. If he gets elected, and can get away with doing the same as president, I say more power to him. We definitely need the revenue.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Why do liberals assume we care what other prominent right-wing figures think?
I'm not certain. Ask a liberal.

Quote:
Why do you post so much about Romney?
I think he believes Republican's are idiots. Posting anything about Romney attracts Republicans and allows me to examine whether or not they're idiots.

Quote:
Why don't you tell me why I should re-elect Obama. I love how you tell us we need to defend our candidate, which by all reasonable standards we have done so in this thread and others quite successfully, but you don't even attempt to do that for Obama.
I don't care to examine reasons why you should re-elect the President.

You're certainly welcome to start a thread discussing this issue.

You're correct.

I have absolutely no compulsion to defend anyone unless I deem it appropriate.

Because you think I should is worth less than the second it took to read and consider your opinion.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Lol, you certainly can't defend the mess Obama has made of the economy.
Why should I?

You haven't started a thread encompassing that topic.

This thread has a topic.

You're either incapable of paying attention or unable to understand the topic and defend/comment appropriately.

Either way, the President isn't the topic.

I can defend your candidate better than you.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Why should I?

You haven't started a thread encompassing that topic.

This thread has a topic.

You're either incapable of paying attention or unable to understand the topic and defend/comment appropriately.

Either way, the President isn't the topic.

I can defend your candidate better than you.
Tsk, tsk. As part of the to and fro, I have debunked your attempted smears of Romney.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:34 PM

Would Romney go against his pledge and raise taxes on US Corporations?

Old 04-26-2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Would Romney go against his pledge and raise taxes on US Corporations?
What pledge is that?

Since you are asking the question, you must have some opinion on the matter. Care to share them with us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections