Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 12:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Obama has overcome a six -point Romney lead. Sure, it's within the margin, but geez... could AZ be in play, like the Dems think?
It'll be in play. I think in the end Obama won't actually take any states he didn't take in 2008, but if the Republicans think they have to spend time defending Arizona or Missouri instead of strictly going on offense in Indiana and North Carolina, not to speak of Ohio and Pennsylvania, so much the worse for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 02:15 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post

Polls show dead heat in Arizona | Politics - KOAT Home

Obama has overcome a six -point Romney lead. Sure, it's within the margin, but geez... could AZ be in play, like the Dems think?
Doesn't CNN stand for Clinton news Network?

Old 04-27-2012, 02:19 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Can you delineate how Romney will make things better? Also, can you give concrete examples of Obama's failures?

Thanks in advance.
and can you tell us how he would make things worse? Obama's failures? For starters; what percentage of Americans support OBAMACARE? Where is the unemployment rate compared to Nov of 2008?And how many of those who do not show up on the rolls anymore are either underemployed or have run out of benefits? How is that for starters?

Old 04-27-2012, 03:43 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and can you tell us how he would make things worse? Obama's failures? For starters; what percentage of Americans support OBAMACARE? Where is the unemployment rate compared to Nov of 2008?And how many of those who do not show up on the rolls anymore are either underemployed or have run out of benefits? How is that for starters?
Pretty weak compared to his accomplishments. And people were decidedly
for Obamacare until the GOP started their lies about death panels and "killing Grandma." That's nothing for the GOP to be proud of...there are more uninsured now than ever. Ask Osama bin Laden how effective President Obama has been. Al Qaeda has been virtually rendered impotent under this administration...how odd that Bush and his "professionals" let 9/11 happen by ignoring intelligence info from the Clinton administration, then were completely useless for 8 years...except for making money for
Halliburton by lying to the world to start a "war" that had nothing to do with Al Qaeda. The GOP chose to spend their time "making sure that Obama is a one-term president" instead of helping out their constituents...and that too is an utter failure.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:58 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,024,352 times
Not a surprise for me. I lived in AZ at the time of the 2008 election, and amount of enthusiasm Obama generated there, despite being a Republican state usually, was huge. He didn't actually carry the state because McCain was from there, but no surprise if AZ becomes a swing state like Virginia or North Carolina.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,916,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Not a surprise for me. I lived in AZ at the time of the 2008 election, and amount of enthusiasm Obama generated there, despite being a Republican state usually, was huge. He didn't actually carry the state because McCain was from there, but no surprise if AZ becomes a swing state like Virginia or North Carolina.
I live in Arizona and even though the right wing nut jobs make the most noise and grab headlines, there is a huge backlash to the current GOP anti-immigrant, anti-women, anti-gay agenda. The Senate President responsible for the SB1070 fiasco lost in a recall election and was replaced by a moderate Republican. Some of Arpaio's allies including an ex County Attorney were recently disbarred for their abuse of power while in office. There is a groundswell of support for a federal indictment of Arpaio for abuse of power and racial profiling. In the latest polls the right wing wacko governor's disapproval % is higher than her approval %.

Add in the increased number of Latino voters upset at the hardline GOP rhetoric from the primary campaign season and you have a recipe for an Obama victory.

McCain is the only reason Arizona didn't go to Obama last time and it would be stupid to not consider it a swing state in 2012.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:10 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
I'd say one issue is the right never blames their local governments. Everything has slowly gotten better yet you blame Obama. But it is getting better. Why not blame your local politicians?

And if not for Obama, would the Republicans even have extended the rolls? I highly doubt it.

And what about "Obamacare" do you have a disagreement with thus far? It seems to be working pretty well for many people.

Romney would side with the Republicans. That would make things worse. The tax cuts for the wealthiest, which Obama has tried to repeal, would be extended.

Those tax cuts have been extended for some time now. Why haven't more jobs been created?

Profits are astronomical for many corporations. Why aren't they expanding and hiring more?

Insurance rates have gone up 10 percent a year for a decade now. Why are insurance companies using "Obamacare" as an excuse while the rates go up the same percentage? What was their excuse then?

Obama has done what he needs to do. Others, on the other hand, not so much.

Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I live in Arizona and even though the right wing nut jobs make the most noise and grab headlines, there is a huge backlash to the current GOP anti-immigrant, anti-women, anti-gay agenda. The Senate President responsible for the SB1070 fiasco lost in a recall election and was replaced by a moderate Republican. Some of Arpaio's allies including an ex County Attorney were recently disbarred for their abuse of power while in office. There is a groundswell of support for a federal indictment of Arpaio for abuse of power and racial profiling. In the latest polls the right wing wacko governor's disapproval % is higher than her approval %.

Add in the increased number of Latino voters upset at the hardline GOP rhetoric from the primary campaign season and you have a recipe for an Obama victory.

McCain is the only reason Arizona didn't go to Obama last time and it would be stupid to not consider it a swing state in 2012.
And there you have it. I would think an Arizona resident might know what they were talking about.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:43 AM

112 posts, read 273,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Can you delineate how Romney will make things better? Also, can you give concrete examples of Obama's failures?

Thanks in advance.
While I could really get on my soapbox I'll stop at reason # 13 why we should make November 2012 NOBAMA month.

1.Unemployment – According to the United States Department of Labor for March 2012 8.2 million unemployed. Higher unemployment, especially when unemployment benefits run out, has a negative impact on welfare, Medicaid, and other government funded programs – that “We The People” pays for in the taxes we pay. Another note shows 1.1 million have given up looking for work altogether. No work = no paycheck and no paycheck = can’t pay your bills and can’t pay your bills = foreclosures and homelessness.
2.Obama promised immediate job impact saying "We've got shovel-ready projects all across the country." Those jobs never materialized and it was not for lack of workers or shovels.
3.Obama promises the stimulus will lift people out of poverty, but since he took office 6.3 million Americans have fallen into poverty.
4.Obama vows “green economy” would create millions of jobs. The Energy Department has given out $35.2 BILLION in stimulus money to jumpstart clean energy industry, but it’s more red tape than green jobs.
5.Obama promised the stimulus would put one million electric vehicles, made by American workers, on the road by 2015, but this is seriously falling short and cars are being built overseas.
6.Americans are demanding a more effective, more efficient government, Obama has chosen to increase spending and increase taxes.
7.Obama bails out the automotive industry instead of letting them fix their own mess.
8.Obama bails out financial institutions/banks only to let the corporate executives give each other their high-paying bonuses instead of paying employee’s salaries and providing for their customers, “We The People”.
9.Housing crisis, short sales, and foreclosures.
10.Obama-care has loopholes and hidden agendas that will prevent “We The People” from getting necessary/needed medical care and will increase out-of-pocket expenses for “We The People”.
11.Obama-care will force doctors to report each patient’s visit to a central (Washington D.C.) location where the diagnosis and treatment will be given to the doctor and if the doctor does not treat the patient according to instructions will be fined and should the doctor not abide again will be fined an even greater amount the next time followed by disbarment the third offense. Don’t believe me? Ask your doctor now!!
12.Obama bows to leaders of other nations while verbally bashing and denying those to whom he took an oath to protect and defend “We The People”.
13.Upon request “We The People” have a right to see public birth records for all who run for an elected office, ESPECIALLY THE PRESIDENCY!! Why would Obama refuse to show his when first asked? Why would he, after public pressure, produce a Hawaiian birth certificate with discrepancies (i.e. hospital named wasn’t even built at time Obama born)? Personally, I dispute Obama’s place of birth and feel that the Hawaiian birth certificate is a forgery to cover up the fact that he is not a United States Citizen, therefore; should have never been allowed to run for, or become, President of the United States of America!!

"We The People" need to take a stand!! Make November 2012 NOBAMA month!!

One
Big
A**
Mistake
America!!

Old 04-28-2012, 02:51 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,386,289 times
Quote:
My adult son supports Obamacare, because, under the Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP), available NOW in all 50 states, he was finally able to get health insurance.

But I don't know what percentage of Americans he is. Probably pretty small

Besides, given the chance, I'm sure the GOP will come up with SOMETHING similar... someday soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections