U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2012, 10:20 PM
 
9,960 posts, read 6,261,341 times
Reputation: 8304

Advertisements

He resigned because he was getting in trouble for his tweets, which he was erasing (just not soon enough). The critics were whining he was anti women. Omg, he's hilarious. I wish he had stayed.


rachel maddow needs to take a breath and put on a necklace
Richard Grenell
a year ago

ReplyRetweet

Share

Hillary is starting to look liek Madeline Albright

11 days ago
Share
note to children: when your mom is a grandmother DO NOT let her wear backless dresses
Campaign 2012: Covering the 2012 Pres...
11 days ago
Share
if only air-brushing was permanent @viewofadam MT Jessica Simpson naked & pregnant requires too many words to write: bit.ly/zefpho
Richard Grenell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2012, 01:19 AM
 
3,046 posts, read 2,732,769 times
Reputation: 1305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
"Grenell had earned a reputation in his career as a feisty figure in interactions with reporters. He is also openly gay, and a Washington Post account of Grenell's resignation suggested the campaign might have faced a backlash due to his sexuality."

First Read - Romney foreign policy spokesman resigns

Sure, he resigned a coveted position on his own..Sure Mittens ..Whatever you say.
People commonly do that in elections actually. Unless you have proof that he was fired, you shouldn't guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 01:51 AM
 
Location: Texas
26,609 posts, read 11,139,524 times
Reputation: 6102
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
No he quit because he didnt like the fact that he had become a lightning rod for controversy. He's a qualified guy who can get another good foreign policy job. And he didn't "mysteriously" quit, he said that's why. He wanted to keep the focus on foreign policy, not on his sexuality, so he quit. If I were in his position, I would probably do the same. If I were in his position, knowing I could almost certainly get another good job, I would also quit just so I could have peace and so my foreign policy views could be advanced by someone else without sexuality being an issue.
Why wouldn't the "controversy" follow him to his next foreign policy job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Greater Washington, DC
1,347 posts, read 920,871 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why wouldn't the "controversy" follow him to his next foreign policy job?
Because he's held those jobs before without a problem. The problem with this one is because it was part of a major national campaign (to clarify, I don't think it should have been a problem, just stating that it was). He had a job before he took the one with the campaign and he's had many good jobs in the past. As long as he's not in the spotlight, like on the Romney campaign during an election year, it won't be an issue (Though, as I said, it shouldn't be an issue anyway). How do I know this? Again, because he's held other jobs in the past. But also because it wasn't the people that worked with him that had a problem with it, it was other people on the fringe that were making an issue where none exists. They won't care if he's not a top adviser on a major national campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 07:53 AM
Sco
 
4,259 posts, read 4,225,840 times
Reputation: 3358
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Why would Romney hire him if he wanted to fire him for being gay? When Grenell resigned, he made it clear that Governor Romney was very supportive of him and that Romney had made it clear that is sexuality was a complete non-issue. Romney's team did not want him to resign. There's also another thread on this
In the interest of full disclosure, you should tell people that you perform volunteer work for the Romney campaign. Is this post part of that work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
662 posts, read 1,222,393 times
Reputation: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
So the left is simultaneously arguing that Romney both hired AND fired him because he was gay? And I'm the one being accused of spinning?
I would not agree that Romney hired him because he is gay. I think he hired him because he is an expert in foreign policy. The sad part is that Romney caved to the gay haters in his base. I don't think that Romney is that extreme, but he has no choice but to court these people in order to win the election--even if it means throwing a talented gay person under the bus.

One only needs to read these forums to see how vicious some of these gay haters are. That's why I called this thread "Love the sinner, hate the sin." I have heard many Christians say this about gays, but what I often see is just hate the gays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,287 posts, read 39,605,925 times
Reputation: 18707
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Because he's held those jobs before without a problem. The problem with this one is because it was part of a major national campaign (to clarify, I don't think it should have been a problem, just stating that it was). He had a job before he took the one with the campaign and he's had many good jobs in the past. As long as he's not in the spotlight, like on the Romney campaign during an election year, it won't be an issue (Though, as I said, it shouldn't be an issue anyway). How do I know this? Again, because he's held other jobs in the past. But also because it wasn't the people that worked with him that had a problem with it, it was other people on the fringe that were making an issue where none exists. They won't care if he's not a top adviser on a major national campaign.
I think Romney is OK with him being gay, but clearly the majority of the Republicans would not have been. This is just more justification to support Obama. Romney will be incapable of reining in the reactionary right of his party. Firing a guy whose counsel he clearly admired to avoid criticism from his right flank proves my point. Spineless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 09:35 AM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 4 days ago)
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,052 posts, read 40,801,152 times
Reputation: 29727
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Why does Romney need an adviser on Gayness?
Why does anyone need to know the sexual orientation of a Foreign Policy advisor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Geauga County, Ohio
1,469 posts, read 1,510,240 times
Reputation: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Romney's gay foreign policy adviser had to quit due to pressure from the right-wing extremists in his base. Sadly, these Christians who claim to love the sinner but hate the sin just hate the gays.

Richard Grenell, Controversial Mitt Romney Spokesman, Resigns

According to a GOP gay spokesperson:

Jimmy LaSalvia, the co-founder and executive director of conservative pro-gay rights group GOProud, called Grenell's resignation a "sad day in America." LaSalvia stressed that he hadn't been briefed on the grounds for his departure, but said that the message it sent was a bad one.

"The best and brightest aren't able to do their jobs because a few on the fringe are so fascinated with their personal lives and make such an issue out of it that they are forced to leave their jobs," he said. "On a day that national security affairs are front and center, Mitt Romney doesn't have the best person out there speaking for him, and he has Bryan Fischer [of the American Family Association] and Tony Perkins [of the Family Research Council] to thank for that."
I really wish (as someone who almost always votes Republican) that we didn't have to bow down to the Christian Right.

However, as it now stands, their votes outnumber any additional votes that would be gained from abandoning the anti-gay-marriage etc. stance.

I'm socially moderate to a bit conservativeish in a lot of ways by the way, but WHO REALLY CARES IF HIS ADVISOR IS GAY???

I'm a Romney supporter by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Geauga County, Ohio
1,469 posts, read 1,510,240 times
Reputation: 1387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Why would any self respecting gay person want to be a Republican? It is clear that part of the GOP party platform is based on homophobia and gay hatred. The Christian Taliban could not even deal with a gay man working on Romney's campaign.
Well the one person I know who is a gay Republican basically put it this way:

Basically, his personal financial and life situation fares better under conservatism even if certain people dislike him being gay. He doesn't feel that socialism is a reasonable tradeoff to have politicians who claim to "like" him.

Like me, he differs from the GOP on gay marriage and a few other things, but still matches up to the GOP far better than the Democrats.

You have to weigh ALL the issues, not one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:52 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top