U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
662 posts, read 1,226,899 times
Reputation: 788

Advertisements

Romney's gay foreign policy adviser had to quit due to pressure from the right-wing extremists in his base. Sadly, these Christians who claim to love the sinner but hate the sin just hate the gays.

Richard Grenell, Controversial Mitt Romney Spokesman, Resigns

According to a GOP gay spokesperson:

Jimmy LaSalvia, the co-founder and executive director of conservative pro-gay rights group GOProud, called Grenell's resignation a "sad day in America." LaSalvia stressed that he hadn't been briefed on the grounds for his departure, but said that the message it sent was a bad one.

"The best and brightest aren't able to do their jobs because a few on the fringe are so fascinated with their personal lives and make such an issue out of it that they are forced to leave their jobs," he said. "On a day that national security affairs are front and center, Mitt Romney doesn't have the best person out there speaking for him, and he has Bryan Fischer [of the American Family Association] and Tony Perkins [of the Family Research Council] to thank for that."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:16 PM
Sco
 
4,259 posts, read 4,241,557 times
Reputation: 3359
Why would any self respecting gay person want to be a Republican? It is clear that part of the GOP party platform is based on homophobia and gay hatred. The Christian Taliban could not even deal with a gay man working on Romney's campaign.

Last edited by Sco; 05-01-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
662 posts, read 1,226,899 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Why would any self respecting gay person want to be a Republican? It is clear that the part of the GOP party platform is based on homophobia and gay hatred. The Christian Taliban could not even deal with a gay man working on Romney's campaign.
I agree, but there are also Latino Republicans. Neither makes much sense to me. Or the fact that my father is a Republican makes even less sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Riverside
4,088 posts, read 3,694,383 times
Reputation: 3076
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonexpat View Post
Romney's gay foreign policy adviser had to quit due to pressure from the right-wing extremists in his base. Sadly, these Christians who claim to love the sinner but hate the sin just hate the gays.

Richard Grenell, Controversial Mitt Romney Spokesman, Resigns

According to a GOP gay spokesperson:

Jimmy LaSalvia, the co-founder and executive director of conservative pro-gay rights group GOProud, called Grenell's resignation a "sad day in America." LaSalvia stressed that he hadn't been briefed on the grounds for his departure, but said that the message it sent was a bad one.

"The best and brightest aren't able to do their jobs because a few on the fringe are so fascinated with their personal lives and make such an issue out of it that they are forced to leave their jobs," he said. "On a day that national security affairs are front and center, Mitt Romney doesn't have the best person out there speaking for him, and he has Bryan Fischer [of the American Family Association] and Tony Perkins [of the Family Research Council] to thank for that."
Romney let the bullying bigots in his party drive away a top FP advisor. He did not lift one finger in Grinell's defense, but left him twisting in the wind.

People of ALL stripes and colors, take note: THIS is the kind of spineless, craven moral "leadership" that twit Romney has to offer the country
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,138,333 times
Reputation: 7075
Completely unacceptable. That's it. I'm shifting my support back to Barack OBAMA again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:32 PM
 
9,388 posts, read 9,554,064 times
Reputation: 5790
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Romney let the bullying bigots in his party drive away a top FP advisor. He did not lift one finger in Grinell's defense, but left him twisting in the wind.

People of ALL stripes and colors, take note: THIS is the kind of spineless, craven moral "leadership" that twit Romney has to offer the country
Romney did not force him to Resign, he Resigned on his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Sco
 
4,259 posts, read 4,241,557 times
Reputation: 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Romney did not force him to Resign, he Resigned on his own.
Romney did nothing to defend him from the bigots inside the GOP that were trying to force him out. This just reinforces the belief that Romney has zero principles and will say or do anything to become president. I think it speaks volumes that Romney doesn't have the guts to stand up for the people he chose to work for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:52 PM
 
8,487 posts, read 5,908,227 times
Reputation: 1114
Why does Romney need an adviser on Gayness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Greater Washington, DC
1,347 posts, read 923,626 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Completely unacceptable. That's it. I'm shifting my support back to Barack OBAMA again!
Mitt Romney had nothing to do with this. It was Mitt who chose to hire him in the first place knowing full well that he was gay. I'm sure Mitt, having decided that he was the best man for the job, was sorry to see him go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco
Why would any self respecting gay person want to be a Republican? It is clear that part of the GOP party platform is based on homophobia and gay hatred. The Christian Taliban could not even deal with a gay man working on Romney's campaign.
This kind of bigotry is just as bad as what is coming from the far right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie
Romney let the bullying bigots in his party drive away a top FP advisor. He did not lift one finger in Grinell's defense, but left him twisting in the wind.

People of ALL stripes and colors, take note: THIS is the kind of spineless, craven moral "leadership" that twit Romney has to offer the country
Unfortunately, Richard Grenell would disagree with you. Only in your world is this Mitt Romney's fault. Mitt Romney's the guy who hired him in the first place. Here's what Grenell said upon resignation:

"I want to thank Governor Romney for his belief in me and my abilities and his clear message to me that being openly gay was a non-issue for him and his team."


You think some guy who felt like he was thrown under the bus by the campaign would be a little more bitter.

The Romney team corroborated that sentiment with this statement from Matt Rhoades:
"We are disappointed that Ric decided to resign from the campaign for his own personal reasons. We wanted him to stay because he had superior qualifications for the position he was hired to fill"

There is lots of blame to go around for sure. It's one thing to say you believe in a certain definition of marriage and to say you think a traditional family is the pillar of society, all that stuff. But this goes far beyond that. To me this is actual bigotry, and I do NOT use that word often. I don't have a problem with the Family Research Council fighting for what they believe to be the sanctity of marriage. But there's a difference between seeking to maintain the traditional family and outright persecuting people. All I can say to Tony Perkins, is "let he who is without sin cast the first stone." Even Rick Santorum had a high profile gay adviser as a senator. So there is a lot of blame to go around, as well as lots of evident bigotry (again, I do not like to use that term loosely like some do. I feel like bigotry has come to mean "anyone who disagrees with me politically," and often that's how it's used. But this, to me, is a case where that word is justified), none of that blame or bigotry is from the Romney camp, the RNC, etc. Only from the social conservative fringe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2012, 04:01 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
662 posts, read 1,226,899 times
Reputation: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Why does Romney need an adviser on Gayness?
Umm, his foreign policy adviser...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:19 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top