U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:12 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,615,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mich2fla View Post
I went to look for the blog mentioned in first paragraph...can't find it. If you can locate the source and post back with a link, I'd appreciate it. That's why I don't believe everything I read on the internet!

Ann Romney's $990 shirt - worth it? - POLITICO.com

Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM

2,265 posts, read 2,768,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I sure wish Obama would have settled for a $990 T-shirt instead of insisting on a trillion dollar yearly budget deficit--four years in a row.
That's something that the liberals should think about.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 AM

29,291 posts, read 39,621,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Not's not entirely so. Harry Truman was a simple man, like us, and most of our politician's began life that way. Harry struggled through war, business failure, a ruined reputation, family problems. He was never wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. And, he never forgot his roots. I could give other examples, lots of them.

The difference for the elites, such as the Romney's, Bush's, Kennedy's, is that they never knew the every day crises, the value judgments and daily decisions which characterize the lives of those who have to fight for what they've gained. Anyone who wasn't born into wealth knows that a $990 T-shirt isn't just a shirt: it's a representation of what else that money could have gone for. We everyday folks wouldn't buy one if we could because we've been where that $990 would feed the family for a couple of months, catch up on unpaid bills, fund a child's education or any one of a thousand other things more important.

When you've never had to worry about money, it's just another T-shirt instead of a profligate waste of a finite resource. They could afford to buy it without worrying about what would have to be put aside because of it. Worse, they never thought about the effect it would have to wear it in front of people who DO know what it represents.

Their lifestyle reminds me very much of the British Raj in India. The elite Brits just went right on taking advantage of their un-accepted, un-noticed, advantages they had without ever being aware of how the impoverished Indian's viewed them. When the masses of India finally rose up and threw them out, they really didn't understand why.

When, or if, the Romney's lose this election, they won't understand why either. They'll never get it.
Don't put Kennedy in with the likes of Goldfinger Mitt. Kennedy had a true empathy for average people that is totally absent in Goldfinger. Maybe his time in the service where he served among the ordinary people played a part. Goldfinger and Bush were both draft dodgers who avoided service during a time of war. They are lesser men because of that.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:19 AM

1,347 posts, read 921,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Don't put Kennedy in with the likes of Goldfinger Mitt. Kennedy had a true empathy for average people that is totally absent in Goldfinger. Maybe his time in the service where he served among the ordinary people played a part. Goldfinger and Bush were both draft dodgers who avoided service during a time of war. They are lesser men because of that.
Was Mitt's missionary experience not good enough to count as serving with ordinary people?

The idea that the Kennedy's understand the plight of everyday Americans is laughable.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM

2,943 posts, read 2,995,866 times
Quote:
Not's not entirely so. Harry Truman was a simple man, like us, and most of our politician's began life that way. Harry struggled through war, business failure, a ruined reputation, family problems. He was never wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. And, he never forgot his roots. I could give other examples, lots of them.
Truman is the worst president. As much as I hate FDR, Truman is worst. Truman drop 2 A-Bombs, at two cities full of citizens. This is against the Japanese who was retreating, they were losing the war.

Truman probably just a front man. If FDR was still alive, he probably would has drop it too.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Was Mitt's missionary experience not good enough to count as serving with ordinary people?

The idea that the Kennedy's understand the plight of everyday Americans is laughable.
No. Touring France on a bicycle with a bunch of other rich Mormons is not in the same league. I guess you must never have served or you would know better than to draw such a ridiculous parallel.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 AM

1,347 posts, read 921,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No. Touring France on a bicycle with a bunch of other rich Mormons is not in the same league. I guess you must never have served or you would know better.
All Mormons are rich? I have Mormon friends that went on missions and they're not rich

Old 05-03-2012, 09:38 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,111,839 times
Quote:
It's not that I begrudge her wearing a $990 T-shirt. It's just that I can't imagine them both being so clueless that they never even considered how that might play with....um,....less that wealthy voters.

They REALLY DON'T GET IT.

Why does Ann Romney keep calling Mitt a 'wild and crazy' guy? (+video) - CSMonitor.com
No, Ann has a long way to go before she catches up with the expensive clothes and jewelry Michelle Obama has chosen to wear while the Average American is facing hard times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I sure wish Obama would have settled for a $990 T-shirt instead of insisting on a trillion dollar yearly budget deficit--four years in a row.
Isn't that the truth! I doubt future generations are stuck with the bill of Ann Romney's T-shirt. The Obama debt on the otherhand is the gift that enslave future generations into servitude.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM

3,271 posts, read 2,627,923 times
$990 t-shirt, $400 haircut. Sounds like these folks are getting ripped off!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
No, Ann has a long way to go before she catches up with the expensive clothes and jewelry Michelle Obama has chosen to wear while the Average American is facing hard times.

Isn't that the truth! I doubt future generations are stuck with the bill of Ann Romney's T-shirt. The Obama debt on the otherhand is the gift that enslave future generations into servitude.
The debt is largely due to unfunded Republican wars, unfunded increases in prescription coverage, unneeded tax cuts for the richest Americans, and the collapse of the global economy under the blind and never-watchful eyes of Republican regulators. All of which are the doings of the Republican Bush administration and all of which are policies Goldfinger wants to return to (well, no break for seniors on those drug costs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or