Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 04:58 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,454,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
This might not be "fair" but....

Romney has the nomination won. Sorry, bound delegates and math -- FACTS. Paul would have to start winning almost every single state and I mean popular votes -- FACT.

Paul has already been in debates and hasn't been able to win a popular vote yet -- FACT.

Why would Romney hurt his chances against Obama and waste more time and money preparing against a Republican when he already has it locked down.

If I were his adviser I would say it is foolish to debate for the Republican bid when you have already basically won it.
Romney only wins it if 1100 some odd delegates will vote for him. Right now he only has around 600 and change and maybe some of those aren't even bound. Some are probably Ron Paul supporters. Now the way things are going:

The bound Paul supporters will be voting for Paul.
The unbound Romney supporters may vote for Paul.
The unbound Santorum votes will mostly vote for Paul.
This will all happen during the first vote.

Then if I understand it correctly, if Romney doesn't magically get his 1100, there will be a 2nd vote. All delegates are up for grabs the second time around. They can vote for whomever they want. Chances are if they aren't bound, more of them will be voting for Paul and I bet all of the Santorum delegates including the ones (that were basically throwaways in the first vote) can vote for Paul the second time. The result would be that Paul, not Romney gets the most votes and wins the nomination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,196,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Romney only wins it if 1100 some odd delegates will vote for him. Right now he only has around 600 and change and maybe some of those aren't even bound.
He is probably closer to 800 right now and I'd wager he'll easily reach 1144 on June 5th, possibly passing 1200 on the same day.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:24 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Ron Paul? Is that old coot still alive?

Shoot.....honestly, I'd rather vote for him than Romney, even though I think he's bat-s**t crazy.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:50 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
True but that is 4 months away. I'd like to see a debate in August as well as this month. It might be nice as a reminder to those that don't follow the campaigns as closely as we do to see that it is down to the two of them and that Ron Paul is HARDLY out of the picture like the MSM tries to have everyone think!
By Aug Romney will have the needed delegates to have the nomination sewed up and if he doesn't he is not going agree to a debate, why would he? He would have nothing to gain. The leader is usually the last one that wants to take a chance on debating. I am not judging this on who I would want or think would win, it is fact; leaders in campaigns do not like to debate.

Slackjaw,you are closer to his exact numbers: I think he has just under 800, maybe 760ish committed delegates.

Nita

Old 05-05-2012, 02:54 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
WTF?

The Texas primary is scheduled for May 29th. It was not cancelled. It had to be postponed several times because of a redistricting dispute.

Ron Paul never had any chance to win the Texas primary and Rick Perry really never had that good of a chance to win.

Why would it matter? Romney will have 1144+ delegates who are bound to him.
Well according to this he has a ways to go yet. NM rule 38. This says (697MR vs 148RP)
The Real 2012 Delegate Count

Response to “A rogue convention? How GOP party rules ... - FairVote

Last edited by CDusr; 05-05-2012 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-05-2012, 05:37 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
By Aug Romney will have the needed delegates to have the nomination sewed up and if he doesn't he is not going agree to a debate, why would he? He would have nothing to gain. The leader is usually the last one that wants to take a chance on debating. I am not judging this on who I would want or think would win, it is fact; leaders in campaigns do not like to debate.

Slackjaw,you are closer to his exact numbers: I think he has just under 800, maybe 760ish committed delegates.

Nita
Exactly, debates in the modern era (ever since Nixon-Kennedy) are more or less a chance to use theatrics to change the course of the campaign. Romney has everything to lose and Paul has nothing to lose at this point. It would be completely foolish for Romney to agree to this. Even if he is 1000% confident he could destroy Paul, it would still hurt him just to give credence to the notion that the GOP race is not over yet

Old 05-05-2012, 05:41 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Exactly, debates in the modern era (ever since Nixon-Kennedy) are more or less a chance to use theatrics to change the course of the campaign. Romney has everything to lose and Paul has nothing to lose at this point. It would be completely foolish for Romney to agree to this. Even if he is 1000% confident he could destroy Paul, it would still hurt him just to give credence to the notion that the GOP race is not over yet
Agree 100 percent. Unless something dramatic happens it is not in Romneys best interest to debate. He's in it to win the nomination not be a "sport".

Old 05-06-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
First of all, I would love to see where the information is coming from that Paul has won the majority of delegates in 8 states, particularly Ok? and next, this is, I think,the third thread on this petition to get a debate, but what none of you are realizing, you can't force someone to debate...It is doubtful it will happen..down deep I think most of you know this.

Nita
You might try here.
The Real 2012 Delegate Count

Old 05-06-2012, 05:33 AM

26,489 posts, read 15,066,580 times
Quote:
Romney only wins it if 1100 some odd delegates will vote for him. Right now he only has around 600 and change and maybe some of those aren't even bound. Some are probably Ron Paul supporters. Now the way things are going:

The bound Paul supporters will be voting for Paul.
The unbound Romney supporters may vote for Paul.
The unbound Santorum votes will mostly vote for Paul.
This will all happen during the first vote.

Then if I understand it correctly, if Romney doesn't magically get his 1100, there will be a 2nd vote. All delegates are up for grabs the second time around. They can vote for whomever they want. Chances are if they aren't bound, more of them will be voting for Paul and I bet all of the Santorum delegates including the ones (that were basically throwaways in the first vote) can vote for Paul the second time. The result would be that Paul, not Romney gets the most votes and wins the nomination.
More than 3/4ths of all delegates are bound. Romney is currently on pace to get 2/3rd of these. If he does game over.

Also, many of the unbound delegates are superdelegates chosen by the Republican Party for years of loyal service to the party. Romney will do fine with this group.

Ron Paul MUST start winning the majority of states left to block Romney with bound delegates on the 1st ballot.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
More than 3/4ths of all delegates are bound. Romney is currently on pace to get 2/3rd of these. If he does game over.

Also, many of the unbound delegates are superdelegates chosen by the Republican Party for years of loyal service to the party. Romney will do fine with this group.

Ron Paul MUST start winning the majority of states left to block Romney with bound delegates on the 1st ballot.
According to rule 38 they are not bound. Certainly they may vote their conscious, but they are not bound.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections