U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Chicagoland
41,314 posts, read 38,623,278 times
Reputation: 7106

Advertisements

THIS is how it should be, not obama's socialist, government-centered society;

A Better Life for Julia | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
613 posts, read 629,743 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
THIS is how it should be, not obama's socialist, government-centered society;

A Better Life for Julia | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation
Let be honest here man, with conservative reforms Julia will get pregnant and drop out of high school. She will then be forced to live in an awful trailer down by the river, where she will sell drugs and sex to get by. Julia will be dead by 45, so she will not need to worry about retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:19 AM
 
33,046 posts, read 20,886,468 times
Reputation: 8928
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
THIS is how it should be, not obama's socialist, government-centered society;

A Better Life for Julia | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation

OMG, now there are TWO competing visions for which I have no use.

Let's see...Julia's parents are working-near-poor, do not have employer-provided health insurance and earn too much to qualify for Medicaid.

Her parents can't afford to send her to a good school, and she doesn't go to college. (Because her parents were never able to buy a home, they do not have enough deductions to benefit from itemizing, and therefore a higher education tax deduction will not help her parents save to send her to college.)

As a young adult she undergoes surgery and incurs medical debt she will never be able to pay. Further, she is now uninsurable, so conservative tax credits won't do her much good.

Because she has a low-wage job working for an employer that does not provide health insurance, she doesn't have the opportunity to choose any plan.

When Julia becomes a mother, she MIGHT qualify for Medicaid, if conservatives haven't gutted that program by then.

Because Julia doesn't have money, school choice might not do her children much good and her children won't be able to afford college.

With a flatter tax system, Julia can kiss the Earned Income Tax Credit goodbye, leaving her and her children to live on the edge of working poverty. Start a business? Fuhgeddaboutit!

With conservative reforms, Julia would be incentivized to save, but her low wages and lack of tax credits precluded her from doing so. Conservative reforms increased the retirement age for Social Security and Medicare, but as a low-wage worker she doesn't live long enough to get back what she paid into the system.

Her children go on to repeat the cycle.

TYVM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
613 posts, read 629,743 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
OMG, now there are TWO competing visions for which I have no use.

Let's see...Julia's parents are working-near-poor, do not have employer-provided health insurance and earn too much to qualify for Medicaid.

Her parents can't afford to send her to a good school, and she doesn't go to college. (Because her parents were never able to buy a home, they do not have enough deductions to benefit from itemizing, and therefore a higher education tax deduction will not help her parents save to send her to college.)

As a young adult she undergoes surgery and incurs medical debt she will never be able to pay. Further, she is now uninsurable, so conservative tax credits won't do her much good.

Because she has a low-wage job working for an employer that does not provide health insurance, she doesn't have the opportunity to choose any plan.

When Julia becomes a mother, she MIGHT qualify for Medicaid, if conservatives haven't gutted that program by then.

Because Julia doesn't have money, school choice might not do her children much good and her children won't be able to afford college.

With a flatter tax system, Julia can kiss the Earned Income Tax Credit goodbye, leaving her and her children to live on the edge of working poverty. Start a business? Fuhgeddaboutit!

With conservative reforms, Julia would be incentivized to save, but her low wages and lack of tax credits precluded her from doing so. Conservative reforms increased the retirement age for Social Security and Medicare, but as a low-wage worker she doesn't live long enough to get back what she paid into the system.

Her children go on to repeat the cycle.

TYVM
Thankfully, we only have to look at Somalia to see the outcome of conservative polices, but being a pirate or a warlord might not be all that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:11 PM
 
Location: Cape Coral
5,480 posts, read 5,892,718 times
Reputation: 2190
Obama can forget about getting the women's vote this year. More women are unemployed because of his policies. More women's husbands are also out of work because of his policies. Women can see that Obama's impending taxes and his over regulation are keeping employers from making the investments needed for job growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM
 
Location: OCEAN BREEZES AND VIEWS SAN CLEMENTE
19,899 posts, read 15,373,247 times
Reputation: 6451
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Prove it.
Talk to all all all the people out of work, i think they have more then proved it. Including the 2 managers and 2 supervisors added to the list of the unemployed who last week all lost their jobs.
I have to prove a damn thing, your GUY OBAMA, he has to prove a hell of a lot, to prove to any of us this is REAL CHANGE!
This ain't change, this is trash!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:23 PM
 
384 posts, read 812,022 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
THIS is how it should be, not obama's socialist, government-centered society;

A Better Life for Julia | The Foundry: Conservative Policy News Blog from The Heritage Foundation
Can you clarify some things:

1) How is Julia $50,000 in debt from the day she is born?
2) How do Julia's parents pay for private preschool? Head Start is for low income children. If her parents could pay for private preschool, she wouldn't qualify for Head Start in the first place.
3) The school years mention "online learning options". Is it the Republican plan to do away with public schools altogether in favor of online schools like K12? If so, who is going to help Julia when she begins to struggle with the material? What guarantee do you have that Julia, who lives in a lower income world, even has a computer and internet access at home? Do you think her parents can afford for one of them to stay home and make sure she is doing her school lessons all day?
4) What is wrong with National Standards? Doesn't that just ensure that when a family moves to a new state they can be confident that the schools there have curriculum in sync with what the child was learning before they moved, and that the quality of education is the same from state to state?
5) Julia's parents likely have not saved a dime toward college, due to just getting by with their low wage jobs. If Julia goes to college, it would most likely be part time with a low wage job, and it will take her years to finish.
6) How are Julia (who is now working at Target and trying to attend college part time) or her parents (who are working at low wage jobs because they never went to college) going to buy private health insurance on their paltry wages?
7) Julia already has the freedom to take a job where she doesn't have to pay Union dues - most jobs are like that. Only a small percentage of jobs in the U.S. are unionized. The unanswered question here is what Republican policies are going to create new jobs? Don't give me that cut taxes, trickle down crap. We've had about 30 years to see how well that works
8) How silly to assume that since someone is Catholic or works at a Catholic school, they are automatically anti-birth control and would be upset if their health plan covered it. News flash: most Catholics use birth control.
9) What an exaggeration and misinterpretation of the Affordable Care Act. Words fail me.
10) News flash: We already have the ability to choose our kids' school. Move, or pay for private. However, in most areas of the country, the "good" public schools are in middle to upper middle class areas. The working poor lose again.
11) Most small businesses in this country don't have to worry about regulations or outside investors. They are more worried about the rising cost of employee benefits and being squeezed out of business by large corporations who get tax subsidies and have the money to sway politicians to change laws in their favor.
12) They're planning to turn Medicare into a fee-for-service plan? I'm sure you'll see tons of old people in tri-corner hats hitting the streets with signs that say "Keep your hands off my Medicare" any day now
13) We already have a tax code that "incentivizes" (God I hate that made up word) us to save for retirement. JHC the Republicans are trying to act like this is new? The fact remains that the working poor and lower middle class cannot afford to save for retirement. They're just getting by. But the Republicans don't care.

Yeah, there's a better life for you under Republican policy. But only if you're already doing pretty well. If things go wrong and you can't keep working at that higher wage job or if your business doesn't do well, if your job is outsourced and you can't find a comparable one, if you become disabled, or if you get a catastrophic illness, well, you're pretty much screwed. And I notice that there's no mention of how they plan to keep the cost of private health insurance, currently rising at a rate of about 20% a year, down. Or are these insurance companies just going to continue to raise rates indefinitely while they pay their executives 300 times what the average worker makes, and keep crying that they have to keep making huge profits to please the shareholders? It's asinine not to regulate this industry. I don't necessarily like the Affordable Care Act or the health insurance mandate, but I do think that that industry needs regulation badly.

Last edited by goldenncmom; 05-05-2012 at 12:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
613 posts, read 629,743 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Obama can forget about getting the women's vote this year. More women are unemployed because of his policies. More women's husbands are also out of work because of his policies. Women can see that Obama's impending taxes and his over regulation are keeping employers from making the investments needed for job growth.
What you say is not true. What is true is that conservatives want to punish women for being women. Conservatives are not comfortable with the idea of free women, and they certainly do not want women to be able to go against the word of a man. This old timey thinking is dying along with the conservatives.
Women overwhelming support President Obama because they are very intelligent and they understand that his polices release them from the prisons conservatives are trying to keep them in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM
 
Location: Miami, Florida
613 posts, read 629,743 times
Reputation: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenncmom View Post
Can you clarify some things:

1) How is Julia $50,000 in debt from the day she is born?
2) How do Julia's parents pay for private preschool? Head Start is for low income children. If her parents could pay for private preschool, she wouldn't qualify for Head Start in the first place.
3) The school years mention "online learning options". Is it the Republican plan to do away with public schools altogether in favor of online schools like K12? If so, who is going to help Julia when she begins to struggle with the material? What guarantee do you have that Julia, who lives in a lower income world, even has a computer and internet access at home? Do you think her parents can afford for one of them to stay home and make sure she is doing her school lessons all day?
4) What is wrong with National Standards? Doesn't that just ensure that when a family moves to a new state they can be confident that the schools there have curriculum in sync with what the child was learning before they moved, and that the quality of education is the same from state to state?
5) Julia's parents likely have not saved a dime toward college, due to just getting by with their low wage jobs. If Julia goes to college, it would most likely be part time with a low wage job, and it will take her years to finish.
6) How are Julia (who is now working at Target and trying to attend college part time) or her parents (who are working at low wage jobs because they never went to college) going to buy private health insurance on their paltry wages?
7) Julia already has the freedom to take a job where she doesn't have to pay Union dues - most jobs are like that. Only a small percentage of jobs in the U.S. are unionized. The unanswered question here is what Republican policies are going to create new jobs? Don't give me that cut taxes, trickle down crap. We've had about 30 years to see how well that works
8) How silly to assume that since someone is Catholic or works at a Catholic school, they are automatically anti-birth control and would be upset if their health plan covered it. News flash: most Catholics use birth control.
9) What an exaggeration and misinterpretation of the Affordable Care Act. Words fail me.
10) News flash: We already have the ability to choose our kids' school. Move, or pay for private. However, in most areas of the country, the "good" public schools are in middle to upper middle class areas. The working poor lose again.
11) Most small businesses in this country don't have to worry about regulations or outside investors. They are more worried about the rising cost of employee benefits and being squeezed out of business by large corporations who get tax subsidies and have the money to sway politicians to change laws in their favor.
12) They're planning to turn Medicare into a fee-for-service plan? I'm sure you'll see tons of old people in tri-corner hats hitting the streets with signs that say "Keep your hands off my Medicare" any day now
13) We already have a tax code that "incentivizes" (God I hate that made up word) us to save for retirement. JHC the Republicans are trying to act like this is new? The fact remains that the working poor and lower middle class cannot afford to save for retirement. They're just getting by. But the Republicans don't care.

Yeah, there's a better life for you under Republican policy. But only if you're already doing pretty well. If things go wrong and you can't keep working at that higher wage job or if your business doesn't do well, if your job is outsourced and you can't find a comparable one, if you become disabled, or if you get a catastrophic illness, well, you're pretty much screwed.
Republican policies are designed to make the wealthy, wealthier and the poor, poorer. In other words Republicans are the anti-Robin hood because they steal from the poor and give it to the rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2012, 12:42 PM
 
3,568 posts, read 3,193,660 times
Reputation: 1364
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I hope it will backfire. It should. Women should be enraged. The Obama campaign is basically suggesting that women are incapable of taking care of themselves and need the government to be there at every turn for them.

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of faith that people will see it that way because of the entitlement mentality (among both men and women) in our culture that seems to be getting worse and worse.
I wonder how feminists are reacting to this "Julia." Ever since Betty Friedan and "The Feminine Mystique" liberated women have been told that they don't need a man or a husband to lead productive, fufilling lives. Now Obama is telling them they need him to do for them what fathers did for their daughters and husbands did for their wives. Is Obama offering himself as a substitute daddy and husband for the liberated woman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top