Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 09:30 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,174,225 times

Advertisements

More bad news for Romney.

FairVote.org | Response to ?A rogue convention? How GOP party rules may surprise in 2012?

Quote:
we explain that the RNC rules’ provision on the unit rule make it clear that delegates aren’t bound to vote according to how most delegates from their state are voting. In fact, delegates can vote according to their own judgment and conscience
Quote:
To explain our case, we look to the language of Rule 38, which was adopted in its current form in 1964. The rule states: “no delegate shall be bound by any attempt of any state or Congressional district to impose the unit rule.”
Quote:
the unit rule does prohibit binding delegates to vote according to how a majority of delegates from their state vote – again, a scenario most likely to occur in a state using the winner-take-all rule.
Quote:
the legal counsel for the Republican National Convention in 2008 stated: “[The] RNC does not recognize a state’s binding of national delegates, but considers each delegate a free agent who can vote for whoever they choose.” Thus, if a delegate were to challenge his or her ability to vote as a free agent, he or she would have grounds under Rule 38.
For those who want the real delegate counts:
Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 09:43 AM

473 posts, read 400,195 times
The fight for Liberty is not over yet... If Wall Street tries to hijack the convention for thier boy Romney things will get ugly for sure... BTW, Romney just dropped his challenge of the Ohio delegates... It's beginning to fall apart for Mittens...

Old 05-04-2012, 09:49 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
In before people with broken record players start replying with Ron Paul can't win

Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,818 times

So you're saying there's a chance!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:26 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Sure, go ahead ignore the will of the majority of Republican voters, as you would have to to get Paul the nomination. But when the Republicans tar and feather you and run you out of town on a rail, don't say I did not warn ya.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Sure, go ahead ignore the will of the majority of Republican voters, as you would have to to get Paul the nomination. But when the Republicans tar and feather you and run you out of town on a rail, don't say I did not warn ya.
Yeah, I guess you could call that an inconvenient truth...lol. I have mostly remained silent about Paul supporters on this forum until now but I can't do it anymore! I actually have a lot of respect for Dr. Paul. Even though I disagree with him on some things he is a decent, honest, and honorable man. However, I don't think I have ever seen a more delusional bunch than his followers. I am literally going to laugh my a*s off when Mitt walks up on that stage and accepts the nomination. Many of Paul's supporters will absolutely snap off their hinges, they won't be able to accept it! Some may even have to be admitted for inpatient psychiatric treatment....lol. It's going to be hilarious to watch.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:57 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
More bad news for Romney.

FairVote.org | Response to ?A rogue convention? How GOP party rules may surprise in 2012?

For those who want the real delegate counts:
Home
This is for states in which the delegates are unbound. Someone can get trounced, but the delegates can vote for the one that got trounced if they so choose. However, this rule does not pertain to the delegates that go in bound.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:11 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This is for states in which the delegates are unbound. Someone can get trounced, but the delegates can vote for the one that got trounced if they so choose. However, this rule does not pertain to the delegates that go in bound.

Oh, yes it does!

No one can be forced to vote for anyone...

Between the delegate process and the convention, many things can happen to change a delegates mind... Read the freak'n rules of the game, before you ante up.

Obamabots and the GOP establishment, are freaking out about now!

Old 05-04-2012, 12:13 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,897,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
It's not about the majority of Republican voters as we've clearly proven, it's about the majority of Republican delegates. And it doesn't look like Mitt has this 100% in the bag, based on delegate math and RNC rules.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:21 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,935,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Yeah, I guess you could call that an inconvenient truth...lol. I have mostly remained silent about Paul supporters on this forum until now but I can't do it anymore! I actually have a lot of respect for Dr. Paul. Even though I disagree with him on some things he is a decent, honest, and honorable man. However, I don't think I have ever seen a more delusional bunch than his followers. I am literally going to laugh my a*s off when Mitt walks up on that stage and accepts the nomination. Many of Paul's supporters will absolutely snap off their hinges, they won't be able to accept it! Some may even have to be admitted for inpatient psychiatric treatment....lol. It's going to be hilarious to watch.
Unfortunately that is the truth. I do like Paul and even agree with some of his ideas but those I disagree with are major showstoppers for me. As for his followers, I would say it is about a fifty-fifty mix of the sane people believing in a certain set of principles and the wackjobs that will go off on anyone that dares question any of Pauls ideas or point out that Paul simply does not have the support of Republicans, not to mention Indes and Dems. Yes, August is going to be a rough month for some here, hopefully they will return to earth once the pain passes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections