U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 12:42 PM

22,751 posts, read 16,193,724 times

Advertisements

Where is the love for Gov. Johnson, the only true libertarian running?

I see a lot of people espouse so-called libertarian principles, and am curious as to why somone who has chosen to run on a real libertarian platform is getting so little attention.

Ron Paul is not going to get any kind of nomination. He just isn't.

Wouldn't it make more sense to go with the guy who at least has the support of his party?

"He won 74 percent of the vote on the first ballot in Las Vegas, an unusual showing of support. In 2008, Libertarian delegates needed six rounds of voting to pick a presidential nominee. "

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson wins Libertarian nomination | Fox News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 01:09 PM

1,395 posts, read 1,118,887 times
Paul is nationally known and it's well known the system is rigged for the 2parties.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:51 PM

71,703 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Where is the love for Gov. Johnson, the only true libertarian running?

I see a lot of people espouse so-called libertarian principles, and am curious as to why somone who has chosen to run on a real libertarian platform is getting so little attention.

Ron Paul is not going to get any kind of nomination. He just isn't.

Wouldn't it make more sense to go with the guy who at least has the support of his party?

"He won 74 percent of the vote on the first ballot in Las Vegas, an unusual showing of support. In 2008, Libertarian delegates needed six rounds of voting to pick a presidential nominee. "

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson wins Libertarian nomination | Fox News
Tiger, yes, he is a true libartarian but he has too many problems to get anywhere. 1-not enough name recognition: 2-out of office too long: 3-from a small state. I could almost supprort him, even though I am more conservative by far. He was a popular governor and has some decent ideas. I just don't think he will get enough support to get anywhere. It would be nice, for the Libartarians, if they really want to start making their views really knows and become a viable party, for the Paul supporters to vote for Gary. I don't think it will happen. They are bound and determined it is Paul or no one.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:53 PM

71,703 posts, read 83,289,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
Paul is nationally known and it's well known the system is rigged for the 2parties.
but if the Paul supporters would back Gary, after the primary season ends, it might make enough difference to make an impact and see a third party really make some headway.

Nita

Old 05-06-2012, 04:08 PM

2,787 posts, read 3,662,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
but if the Paul supporters would back Gary, after the primary season ends, it might make enough difference to make an impact and see a third party really make some headway.

Nita
Well it would make more sense to me for Paul supporters to vote for Johnson rather than 'write in' a vote for Paul that won't get counted or stay home...but I don't see many doing so.
It's a moot point right now since many of them still think Paul will get the republican nomination......perhaps after the convention reality will sink in and they may find the idea more attractive...or maybe not

Old 05-06-2012, 04:12 PM

9,833 posts, read 5,830,535 times
I am neither a Paul supporter nor a Romney supporter, but I will most likely cast my vote for Romney. That said, I am a Libertarian, but, I also realize that our candidate has absolutely no chance of winning a national election and will never even be allowed to debate on the national stage with Obama and Romney. The realist side of me has to support Romney in this case.. I will swallow back the vomit and cast my vote.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:13 PM

5,945 posts, read 4,861,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post

Maybe Gov Johnson will choose Ron Paul as his veep.

Old 05-06-2012, 04:31 PM

1,347 posts, read 921,189 times
The Paul fan are swept up in Paul himself and would never vote for anyone else. They have all stated numerous times on here that it is Paul or nothing

Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 PM

8,487 posts, read 5,888,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post

Nita
Our system is so corrupt and controlled at every step. Virtually, no way a 3rd party is getting anywhere anytime soon.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM

738 posts, read 965,179 times
It is not corrupt by keeping fringe candidates off the ballot. If ballot access was easier there would be about 158 people running for president.

The Libertarians will never get anywhere trying to start at the top. They have to get better local chairmen and run candidates for every single office at every single election.Every school board, township trustee, coroner, etc.

What ever happened to the idea of them all moving to South Dakota? If they would have followed through they would have a governor, 2 senators, and 1 congressmen. They could also have made headway in 2 adjacent states. It seems like they just want to show up every 4 years and act like they are important instead of actually building a party. The couple of local libertarians holding office are about 1/10 of 1 percent of what they to be taken seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or