Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:08 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,889 times

Advertisements

Rasmussen Polls Were Biased and Inaccurate; Quinnipiac, SurveyUSA Performed Strongly - NYTimes.com

I knew it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:17 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Now THAT IS funny. The New York Times claiming another entity is biased! [MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 05-10-2012 at 08:39 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 07:17 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
It's pretty common knowledge that Rasmussen is not a very good poll. They haven't been for some time.

RCP average is best, in my opinion. And they tend to include Rasmussen.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:19 AM

8,145 posts, read 6,530,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
It's pretty common knowledge that Rasmussen is not a very good poll. They haven't been for some time.

RCP average is best, in my opinion. And they tend to include Rasmussen.
I to think RCP is much better.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:57 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Ramsussen can be trusted as much at the NY Times. Every polling group has an agenda and leans one way or the other. A few are a little more objective. It is important to take each poll for what it is worth, at the time..Polls change daily, polls are based on who is doing the polling and who they are talking to...You believe the story, most realize any poll taken by most universities can not be totally trusted. that is why we should look at a variety of materials to get a more balanced over view.

Nita

Old 05-10-2012, 08:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times

All I can say is that in 2004 or 2008 (can't remember which), Rasmussen and Pew came the closest of all the pollsters in predicting the outcome numbers of the Presidential race. I thought it was 2008.

I don't understand what the New York Times did because I don't see a discussion of confidence levels and margins of error differences between pollsters. You can't just subtract like this if each pollster has a different margin of error and a different confidence level:

"Our process here is quite simple: we’ve taken all such polls in our database, and assessed how accurate they were, on average, in predicting the margin separating the two leading candidates in each race. For instance, a poll that had the Democrat winning by 2 percentage points in a race where the Republican actually won by 4 would have an error of 6 points."

Rasmussen Polls Were Biased and Inaccurate; Quinnipiac, SurveyUSA Performed Strongly - NYTimes.com

Old 05-10-2012, 08:58 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
None of the polls are unbiased. None that I have seen are open, transparent or accountable. Can you gain access to their data and methodology? Have you seen who is funding them and their revolving doors? Do you know anything about the NEP and reports of them getting information from actual election machines?

I find it amazing that people trust such things and give them credibility.

Black Box Voting : (USA) 1/12 - Regarding the believability of political polls -
Gallup
UNL | Survey Research and Methodology Program| Faculty & Staff

Old 05-10-2012, 09:07 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
None of the polls are unbiased. None that I have seen are open, transparent or accountable. Can you gain access to their data and methodology? Have you seen who is funding them and their revolving doors? Do you know anything about the NEP and reports of them getting information from actual election machines?

I find it amazing that people trust such things and give them credibility.
They all describe their methodology. You just have to look for it on the pollster's website. The newspapers/TV media don't usually report it.

I used to have a beef with Gallup who used to poll any adult who picked up the phone about Obama's approval rating. It wasn't what they did so much as the TV news media thinking it was predictive of something. It wasn't. For all we know, a third of Gallup's sample were illegal aliens and another third were not registered to vote. Well, they could still approve/disapprove of Obama but the news media opinion jockeys' used to run with the numbers like they would be predictive of election results which they were not since for all we know 2/3 of the sample were not allowed to vote.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:12 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
They all describe their methodology. You just have to look for it on the pollster's website. The newspapers/TV media don't usually report it.

I used to have a beef with Gallup who used to poll any adult who picked up the phone about Obama's approval rating. It wasn't what they did so much as the TV news media thinking it was predictive of something. It wasn't. For all we know, a third of Gallup's sample were illegal aliens and another third were not registered to vote. Well, they could still approve/disapprove of Obama but the news media opinion jockeys' used to run with the numbers like they would be predictive of election results which they were not since for all we know 2/3 of the sample were not allowed to vote.
Describing it and you seeing it are 2 different things. They are selling you a product. It is just like a drug company study.
Who is Scott Rasmussen?

2004 was when there was a complete reversal of polls vs election results. They actually conformed the polls to match after the fact. The margin of error was huge.

Last edited by CDusr; 05-10-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 09:13 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Ramsussen can be trusted as much at the NY Times. Every polling group has an agenda and leans one way or the other. A few are a little more objective. It is important to take each poll for what it is worth, at the time..Polls change daily, polls are based on who is doing the polling and who they are talking to...You believe the story, most realize any poll taken by most universities can not be totally trusted. that is why we should look at a variety of materials to get a more balanced over view.

Nita
You left out one very important item. Poll results are also based on who PAYS for them. It isn't like these polls are sponsored by the League of Women voters and are as unbiased as you can get. They are paid for by the parties, even the campaigns themselves. Naturally the outcome will be geared towards the desired results of the client paying for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections