Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 12:41 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Well, since you brought it up, Obama's chum, Bernadine Dohrn Ayers did a long time ago. ------
Bernardine Dohrn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
These are the words of a person from whose home, our POTUS chose to launch his political career from. And yet, you are upset about some supposed highschool prank pulled 45 years ago. You people are unbelievable!
Yeah, words by Dohrn - and her house used. And a wikipedia being target-edited by the Right.
What is unbelievable is how you are conveniently ignoring much of what is being said. Romney's childhood is at least as important as Obama's. Your media bullies on the Right started this mess. Don't like the mirror much eh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Its about character (as a poster said above).
Yeah, how about that !

Old 05-12-2012, 01:05 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,518,799 times
I'm far more worried about obama's total lack of character than Romney's. You lefties are simply whacked. Too many blunts, I suppose.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:05 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Pretty far off topic aren't you?
FAIL, Buzzard. You were the one who brought up Charles Manson. I merely pointed out the hypocrisy.

"Charles Mason did his stuff a long time ago, too. You all for forgivong him, too?"

To which I, like any sane person, replied:

Well, since you brought it up, Obama's chum, Bernadine Dohrn Ayers did a long time ago. She apparently was fine with what Manson did back then. She thought it was "wild."

"Dohrn was criticized for comments she made about the murders of actress Sharon Tate and retail store owners Leno and Rosemary LaBianca by the Charles Manson clan. In a speech during the December 1969 "War Council" meeting organized by the Weathermen, attended by about 400 people in Flint, Michigan, Dohrn said, "First they killed those pigs, then they ate dinner in the same room with them, then they even shoved a fork into the pig Tate's stomach! Wild!"[14] In greeting each other, delegates to the war council often spread their fingers to signify the fork.[9]"

Bernardine Dohrn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These are the words of a person from whose home, our POTUS chose to launch his political career from. And yet, you are upset about some supposed highschool prank pulled 45 years ago. You people are unbelievable!

The amazing thing is that you would compare what Charles Manson did to what Romney is accused of doing! And to top it off, we see that Obama's friends apparently celebrated what Manson did and you guys are okay with that!?! Again, Unbelievable! Thankfully, today's polls show Romney continues to take the lead as Americans are waking up to what this administration is really all about and the need to oust them from the White House ASAP!

Old 05-12-2012, 01:09 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
How many people commenting here on it were alive in 1965 to know what high school was like back then?

There was no such thing as gay pride - who would even know if some other kid was homosexual (the word "gay" wasn't used back then, either, not just pride). I'm sure there were gay kids in high school and I'm sure like Mitt Romney I knew a few. But I didn't know I knew them and I bet Romney didn't either. Saying he bullied a gay kid is ludicrous because like in Iran, they didn't exist, because no one talked about it. Not about actual gay kids. Not about the gay topic. Not about coming out. If he cut someone's long bleached hair it was about some kid with long bleached hair not sexual orientation...which reminds me "sexual orientation" was never uttered either. I'm just saying you shouldn't look at history from 2012 glasses and make judgments about people by projecting what you know now to an act back then.

Black people were called "negroes" in the 60s and it wasn't a slur. Remember that uproar when Harry Reid used the term? He said Obama had no Negro dialect. Well, he's an old guy. My dad was still using the term when he died in the 1990s. There were Negro baseball leagues, not Black leagues, not Afro-American leagues, not African American leagues. I heard some 80 year old say Negro just two weeks ago when she was saying which person was our waitress. It wasn't derogatory. That was the terminology back then. It wasn't a bad word. It was the only word.

Pregnant high school girls were quietly sent away to have their babies before they were showing because people were embarrassed back then that their kid was "a tramp." Nobody wanted them sitting around in a school. Not the parents, not the school, not the girl. Hollywood didn't tell stories about saintly unwed teenage mothers back then, either.

I still cringe when people use the term "chickenhawk" for people who support war but never served because the word was originally used to describe men who solicit boy prostitutes. I must have missed the day when the memo came out that changed "chickenhawk" to mean something else entirely. The first time I heard it used for a politician, I thought it was another sex scandal. You'll never hear me calling a person who avoided war, a chickenhawk. The other definition is still in my brain.

So, did Romney do something mean? Maybe, but it was about bleached blonde long hair and looking different not about sexual orientation. Sort of like today when your kids pick on the fat kids and the slow kids.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
See, that is where you guys are wrong. I bit like the bank robber blaming the cops when he gets caught and the judge when he goes to jail.

"IT" started when an idiot Mitt Romney thought it was cute to bash gay people. Five different people each INDEPENDENTLY telling the same story kinda says it happened.
very telling that some want to excuse Mitt for his behavior as he "is a church going Christian"

It is relevant to his character.

he is running for president of a first world nation, so we dont need to hear from the 60 year olds saying they put a frog in their classmates inkwell so its the same.

It isnt the same and anyone with an IQ over 90 should know this.

Politics is fair game. They are public figures and should be sharply scrutinized and vetted to the nth degree.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
very telling that some want to excuse Mitt for his behavior as he "is a church going Christian"

he is running for president of a first world nation, so we dont need to hear from the 60 year olds saying they put a frog in their classmates inkwell so its the same.

Politics is fair game. They are public figures and should be sharply scrutinized and vetted to the nth degree.
"Family: Story about Romney prank on brother 'factually incorrect,' politically motivated"

Read more: Family: Story about Romney prank on brother 'factually incorrect,' politically motivated | Fox News

Family: Story about Romney prank on brother 'factually incorrect,' politically motivated | Fox News

Old 05-12-2012, 01:28 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post

Yeah, but let's be fair here. You should not judge someone's actions of 50 years ago by the standards of behavior of today. We need to know if this was an isolated incident of his youth or whether his bullying and cruelty lasted into his adult years. His treatment of his dog and his contemptuous behavior toward working people in the companies he liquidated suggest that it did. The suspicion is reinforced by his demeanor on the campaign trail and the way he viciously slandered his political opponents in the primaries. There will be more revelations to come, I believe. But for now, we can but raise the question. It is too early to fairly conclude even though some may think it obvious.

And I disagree with you on this point: it does not require an IQ anywhere near 90 to appreciate that the confessions of childish pranks Romney's supporters offer in his defense rise to anything like the seriousness of assault and battery upon an individual because of his sexual orientation.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How many people commenting here on it were alive in 1965 to know what high school was like back then?

There was no such thing as gay pride - who would even know if some other kid was homosexual (the word "gay" wasn't used back then, either, not just pride). I'm sure there were gay kids in high school and I'm sure like Mitt Romney I knew a few. But I didn't know I knew them and I bet Romney didn't either. Saying he bullied a gay kid is ludicrous because like in Iran, they didn't exist, because no one talked about it. Not about actual gay kids. Not about the gay topic. Not about coming out. If he cut someone's long bleached hair it was about some kid with long bleached hair not sexual orientation...which reminds me "sexual orientation" was never uttered either. I'm just saying you shouldn't look at history from 2012 glasses and make judgments about people by projecting what you know now to an act back then.

Black people were called "negroes" in the 60s and it wasn't a slur. Remember that uproar when Harry Reid used the term? He said Obama had no Negro dialect. Well, he's an old guy. My dad was still using the term when he died in the 1990s. There were Negro baseball leagues, not Black leagues, not Afro-American leagues, not African American leagues. I heard some 80 year old say Negro just two weeks ago when she was saying which person was our waitress. It wasn't derogatory. That was the terminology back then. It wasn't a bad word. It was the only word.

Pregnant high school girls were quietly sent away to have their babies before they were showing because people were embarrassed back then that their kid was "a tramp." Nobody wanted them sitting around in a school. Not the parents, not the school, not the girl. Hollywood didn't tell stories about saintly unwed teenage mothers back then, either.

I still cringe when people use the term "chickenhawk" for people who support war but never served because the word was originally used to describe men who solicit boy prostitutes. I must have missed the day when the memo came out that changed "chickenhawk" to mean something else entirely. The first time I heard it used for a politician, I thought it was another sex scandal. You'll never hear me calling a person who avoided war, a chickenhawk. The other definition is still in my brain.

So, did Romney do something mean? Maybe, but it was about bleached blonde long hair and looking different not about sexual orientation. Sort of like today when your kids pick on the fat kids and the slow kids.
Good points. Unfortunately, they will be ignored by those who only wish to villify him because that's all they've got in a tanked economy.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
I'm far more worried about obama's total lack of character than Romney's. You lefties are simply whacked. Too many blunts, I suppose.
Out of ammunition? I don't smoke or do drugs. I have a beer occasionally if that's your idea of a drunk.
OK let's talk about character.
Character - from a guy living in a bubble of privilege all his life - and avoiding the "riffraff" like lepers? Disconnected by choice. Born into wealth with financial advisors in place ready to make him richer?
Believing that soulless entities like corporations are "people" (they are paper). Treating workers and animals as chattel. Never worrying about prices of anything like food, rent, gas, you name it. Parading his wealth and privilege before lower-class Americans (imo he believes people look up to him for his wealth).
Born on third base and telling us he hit a triple.
Yeah, character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections