Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 11:44 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,009 times

Advertisements

well now i believe marriage is all about having kids and taking care of them.

but marriage is suppose to be a promise between two people whatever you want to call it its a ceremony promising to each other to not betray one another that is all.

gays can do it all the same if they want they dont need to call it marriage.

later on there will still be differences even if they pass a law through just people will call it homo marriage vs hetero marriage.

same thing in the end it wont solve anythings.

remember laws dont change people.
people change people.

they need to want to change to actually change otherwise it would be fake.

I suppose people just want people to fake it as the rest of the economy is right now right?

god america and people have to realize reality already.

there is no free lunch there is no forcing your ideals on others and actually thinking they accepted it willingly.

just have a civil union and be happy with it already.
why need marriage title anyway.

to **** off more people to get even more tax breaks? oh fine then take all tax breaks away for both of them if they are going to behave that way.

this will teach both children a lesson stop trying to be so selfish this goes to both sides.

gov has no business in marriage as it is just a promise between two people like a pinky swear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 10:06 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Yes, and the below facts are problematic to those in favor of gay marriage, so they will deny or skirt this issues:

- Marriage is not an outright civil right; that is why states have varying prereqs for couples before they can marry

- A civil right is based upon something you are born with and cannot control; race, ethnicity, gender. To this day there is NO conclusive scientific proof that people are born gay, only that they may be born with certain propensities to strong urges including alcoholism, sex-addiction, etc (despite activists attempts to convince us otherwise such as the "gay gene" fraud story several years ago)

- If gay marriage is legalized on a national basis, large numbers of people will LOSE rights; Christians, Jews and Muslims will lose the right to refuse to service gay weddings, counselors to advise against aspects of the gay lifestyle, and basically anyone to speak their disagreement of it

Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Yes, and the below facts are problematic to those in favor of gay marriage, so they will deny or skirt this issues:

- Marriage is not an outright civil right; that is why states have varying prereqs for couples before they can marry

- A civil right is based upon something you are born with and cannot control; race, ethnicity, gender. To this day there is NO conclusive scientific proof that people are born gay, only that they may be born with certain propensities to strong urges including alcoholism, sex-addiction, etc (despite activists attempts to convince us otherwise such as the "gay gene" fraud story several years ago)

- If gay marriage is legalized on a national basis, large numbers of people will LOSE rights; Christians, Jews and Muslims will lose the right to refuse to service gay weddings, counselors to advise against aspects of the gay lifestyle, and basically anyone to speak their disagreement of it
You are dead wrong on that point. The courts at every level have ruled over and over and over that marriage is a fundamental human RIGHT and not a privilege. Loving v. Virginia, for example, where the court found:

"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man..."

and

"There is patently no legitimate overriding purpose independent of invidious racial discrimination which justifies this classification"

You simply need to change "racial" to "religious" in the above statement to see where this is going when it reaches the court. I don't care how many activist right of center judges get appointed before then, it is going down 9-0. There is simply no legitimate public purpose in stopping two people who want to marry from doing so. None. It is pure religious belief and that is all.

Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Makes sense since 31 states have voted it down. Liberal Hollywood, Madison Avenue and the Media love to innundate us with pro gay/ SSM images and messages as they try and make it seem more common and acceptable than it really is to most Americans. Times are changing; but not nearly at the speed some want to make it seem. Obama may have gotten his payout from his big liberal/pro SSM Hollywood donors. But, votewise, I think its backfiring.
Really? I didn't know "Civil Rights" was a issue to be decided by the public! If that were the case maybe black men shouldn't marry white women!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:17 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Really? I didn't know "Civil Rights" was a issue to be decided by the public! If that were the case maybe black men shouldn't marry white women!

Sexual orientation and race are two different matters. A woman and a man, no matter what race, are still a woman and a man. That argument doesn't work.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:20 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,167,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Six in 10 Say Obama Same-Sex Marriage View Won't Sway Vote

I should mention that I am a socially moderate, non-evangelical Republican who doesn't have a problem with gay marriage.

That being said, I'm always glad to see a poll that shows that people are less likely to vote for Obama - whatever the reason.

Among independent voters, 23% said it makes them less likely to vote for him and just 11% said it makes them more likely to. Among Democrats, 10% said it makes them less likely to vote for him (and only 2% of Republicans said it makes them more likely to vote for him).

It was a really stupid move on Obama's part. Whoever advised him on this should be fired (but I hope they aren't...lol). They should have looked at the number of states that have passed legislation to ban it and known it wouldn't help, but would hurt him. He caved to his far left donors and they might have cost him the election, which works for me.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
You are dead wrong on that point. The courts at every level have ruled over and over and over that marriage is a fundamental human RIGHT and not a privilege. Loving v. Virginia, for example, where the court found:

"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man..."

and

"There is patently no legitimate overriding purpose independent of invidious racial discrimination which justifies this classification"

You simply need to change "racial" to "religious" in the above statement to see where this is going when it reaches the court. I don't care how many activist right of center judges get appointed before then, it is going down 9-0. There is simply no legitimate public purpose in stopping two people who want to marry from doing so. None. It is pure religious belief and that is all.
Marriage as defined as being between a man or a woman. No one is denied the right to enter that institution under those terms. What gays seek is to redefine marriage and they will lose.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
It was a really stupid move on Obama's part. Whoever advised him on this should be fired (but I hope they aren't...lol). They should have looked at the number of states that have passed legislation to ban it and known it wouldn't help, but would hurt him. He caved to his far left donors and they might have cost him the election, which works for me.
Yup but liberals are too arrogant to see that. They'll get their comeuppances Tuesday night, November 6 around 10PM.

Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times
I think 4 in 10 people would lie in a poll... most people already know how they are voting... gay issue or not, they already made up their mind... There is no "I may change my mind if something new comes up"... they know who is running against who and they know what to expect from both sides... if you didn't know that Obama was going to go out and say that, you are living in a cave and a small minority..

Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think 4 in 10 people would lie in a poll... most people already know how they are voting... gay issue or not, they already made up their mind... There is no "I may change my mind if something new comes up"... they know who is running against who and they know what to expect from both sides... if you didn't know that Obama was going to go out and say that, you are living in a cave and a small minority..
It only matters strongly to the gay people and to those on the right who hate them. To the vast rest of us, it is a secondary issue if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections