U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 12:23 PM

25,235 posts, read 14,062,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Certainly not the most critical in my lifetime, but definitely the LONGEST....this election BS has been going on for two years. I'm sick and tired of it...promises, lies and mud-slinging. Obama should be spending his time on the economy, bringing in better qualified advisors, and bringing jobs back to the USA.
Blame that on your fellow righties, Obama just started his run, your clowns have been running since 2010. Both Parties are starting too soon, maybe an official start date for all would be he answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 12:32 PM

4,414 posts, read 3,358,917 times
Not in my lifetime. Bush vs. Gore in 2000 was far more important than this election. Heck, the 2000 Republican primary has had more of a lasting, and deeply negative, impact on our country than this general election ever will.

Even if Romney wins and Republicans maintain control of the House, the in-fighting we're witnessing now for soul of the party is going to ramp up to epic levels.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:30 PM

21,505 posts, read 14,403,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
Not in my lifetime. Bush vs. Gore in 2000 was far more important than this election. Heck, the 2000 Republican primary has had more of a lasting, and deeply negative, impact on our country than this general election ever will.

Even if Romney wins and Republicans maintain control of the House, the in-fighting we're witnessing now for soul of the party is going to ramp up to epic levels.
I agree. I'm not sure 2000 was the most important election of my life, but for sure, it was very possibly the most important, for all the reasons you stated.

Historically and politically, 2000 WAS the most important election of the late 20th century with no doubt. It was the only election in history that was deadlocked in an even tie, a thing that the Founders and Constitution never planned for and had never happened before. It plunged the nation into territory where there were no laws or precedents at all.

That the Supreme Court became the decision maker was something that was extra-Constitutional; it was neither legal nor illegal. There was simply no precedent. Another Court in another time could have passed the decision to the House of Representatives, to the entire Congress, or could have decided in other ways that were never discussed.

If Gore had refused to concede, the consequences are still unknowns. Everything in government became unprecedented for the 30 days the election was in limbo, and there was no Constitutional guide for anything.

A refusal to concede could have resulted in any number of things; Florida could have been compelled to re-do the election, the nation could have been compelled to re-do the election, or the House could have been assigned the determination of the outcome of the election. The Governors of the states could have been assigned to determine the outcome, or the Electoral College.
All were extra-legal. The deadlock could have continued for months and months.

The governmental, financial, and social consequences are still completely unknown and can't even be guessed. Any speculation is as equally valid as any other, but no outcome would have been good if the deadlock had gone on any longer than it did.

All this has never been resolved yet legally, as far as I know. I believe only a Constitution Amendment will be resolve this. If such an Amendment was to happen, it would be the first of the 21st Century.

It was definitely more important to the future of the United States than electing a black man for the first time, and there is still nothing to prevent another deadlock happening at any time. The Diebold machine disputes have not resolved the matter in any way.

In comparison, 2012's importance is chump change, as was 2004 and 2008. Nothing in those, or in the upcoming election has been unprecedented.

Old 05-15-2012, 04:45 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,326,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Blame that on your fellow righties, Obama just started his run, your clowns have been running since 2010. Both Parties are starting too soon, maybe an official start date for all would be he answer.
IMO Obama has been doing nothing BUT campaigning; certainly not leading this country. IMO he hasn't done anything but make matters worse.

I'm not happy with EITHER candidate and so tired of the BS I doubt I will waste my time voting.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:56 AM

6,936 posts, read 7,265,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc14 View Post
Every election is always hyped up about being the most important election ever.
Well, that may be true for young people. But after you've lived a bit you learn it's not true. They're all important. But we have a strong nation and can and have withstand/withstood lots of things ... including elected officials from both principal parties.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:39 PM

5,620 posts, read 3,670,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
No matter WHO the Republicans pick, you'll pull the lever for the (D). Please stop pretending otherwise.
Really makes you sound ignorant when you make an assumption without knowing someones voting record.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,288,969 times
No. In retrospect, the most important election in my lifetime was Bush vs Gore in 2000. Had Gore managed to stop Bush's shenanigans, our whole country would not be nearly as messed up and in debt as we are now. Bush appointed 2 right wing nutjobs to the Supreme Court. Obama and Romney are both to the right economically, it's only on social issues that they differ and that Romney would appoint a conservative to the Supreme Court.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:43 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,565,339 times
Now that's a loaded question. One of great opinion. And IMO the 'most important' election of my lifetime (so far) was the one in 2004. You know... when the idiot was 're-elected'.

Approaching eight years later it's quite apparent we have the same arrogance in office. But with a higher I.Q.. Still no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or