U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 AM

12,639 posts, read 7,292,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think in the face of insanity, a leader stand their ground. The GOP of late has been completely out of its tree. It would be like negotiating with terrorists. I like the ballsy Obama better.
Oblama is a bigger extremist than anyone in the GOP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:08 AM

16,702 posts, read 9,066,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
* Romney respects Wall Street. You mean to say "will of the right wing" - not the people.
* Social Security is solvent for years to come, and can easily be tweaked.
CBO Affirms Social Security Trust Fund Solvent Through 2038 [Update] | ThinkProgress

Why must the right make things up? People who make things up are frauds - selling tainted goods. This means they must lie or it's no sale. "Conservative" media in a nutshell.

Actually the Social Security Trustees have now said that the social security trust fund will run dry in 2033 and at that point SS will only be able to pay 75% of their benefits. 21 years away from it being ineffective. What is your plan.....make this a 2032 election issue?

Obama has weakened SS with the payroll tax reduction. That is worse than just kicking the can down the road.

Social Security: Trust fund in the red by 2033 - CBS News

Old 05-14-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
You sort of contradict yourself.

First you say that it's okay for the people to vote themselves the treasury.

Then you say that it is not prudent for them to do so.

The US needs an executive of a Constitutional Republic (the will of the people is sifted upward through a system of checks and balances) to propose and implement a productive economic policy framework, setting up an environment to put people into productive work and let them reap around 80% of the rewards of their efforts (around 20% effective tax rate in an understandable, highly simplified tax code would be acceptable).

The US does not need another demogogue to sell them softsoap or inaffordable mortgages for shoddy housing in the wrong places, wasting increasingly expensive energy to car themselves to unproductive jobs, then promising health care and retirement to high heaven, while in reality leading them off a cliff into serfdom.

In the event, however, the American people will get exactly what they deserve.
Where specifically is the contradiction?

I am not saying that people can vote themselves raises.

I am saying the Social Security is currently set to give out more than it brings in from 2014 forward into the future until it can
only pay 3/4ths of its benefits in 2033.

We need a person who is not afraid to make a tough decision. Obama will just kick the can down the road. We need someone who will fix the problem. I believe Romney will actually look at this issue, rather than ignoring the problem and actually making it worse like Obama. The longer we wait, the harder it is to fix.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:11 PM

5,740 posts, read 5,849,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Actually the Social Security Trustees have now said that the social security trust fund will run dry in 2033 and at that point SS will only be able to pay 75% of their benefits. 21 years away from it being ineffective. What is your plan.....make this a 2032 election issue?
Obama has weakened SS with the payroll tax reduction. That is worse than just kicking the can down the road.
Social Security: Trust fund in the red by 2033 - CBS News
My post said solvent for "years to come" - that's 2033 or 2038 whatever!! Then a lower payout.
Since when is 75% payout the same as "running dry"? Since when is 75% the same as "ineffective"?
These Fox hyperbolic diversionary word games just stick out like a sore thumb.

Once again - some people see the need for tweaking the program and are working on it - like I said. No conclusions at this point.
The SS trust fund has an amount of some trillions in bond assets, and Wall Street wants desperately to get hold of it to gamble with - and Repubs want to get it to them!! I believe "pragmatic" Romney certainly wants this.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
My post said solvent for "years to come" - that's 2033 or 2038 whatever!! Then a lower payout.
Since when is 75% payout the same as "running dry"? Since when is 75% the same as "ineffective"?
These Fox hyperbolic diversionary word games just stick out like a sore thumb.

Once again - some people see the need for tweaking the program and are working on it - like I said. No conclusions at this point.
The SS trust fund has an amount of some trillions in bond assets, and Wall Street wants desperately to get hold of it to gamble with - and Repubs want to get it to them!! I believe "pragmatic" Romney certainly wants this.
Stop spitting out one liners and think. This has nothing to do with Fox News. In fact I linked to CBS News.

The polls say that Americans want SS saved. Saved with the same benefits that will need to go up with inflation. Only the Republicans have seriously offered plans since Al Gore's lock box.

Tell me, when should it be an election issue if it will run out of its reserve money in 2033? 2032? 2028? The longer we wait the harder it is to fix.

There are currently only 2.5 people paying in for every 1 person collecting. That will fall to a 2 to 1 ratio soon. Not that long ago it was 15 to 1. From 2014 forward SS will be a net loser, paying out more than it takes in.

Stop being part of the problem - sitting back offering no solutions and then demonizing those that are adult enough to point out the problem. Obama won't solve this, he has already made it worse. Because of Obama, we can no longer say SS is self-funding.

The Republicans aren't perfect on this issue, but they have offered possible solutions. Romney would at least stop kicking the can down the road.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Stop spitting out one liners and think. This has nothing to do with Fox News. In fact I linked to CBS News.

The polls say that Americans want SS saved. Saved with the same benefits that will need to go up with inflation. Only the Republicans have seriously offered plans since Al Gore's lock box.

Tell me, when should it be an election issue if it will run out of its reserve money in 2033? 2032? 2028? The longer we wait the harder it is to fix.

There are currently only 2.5 people paying in for every 1 person collecting. That will fall to a 2 to 1 ratio soon. Not that long ago it was 15 to 1. From 2014 forward SS will be a net loser, paying out more than it takes in.

Stop being part of the problem - sitting back offering no solutions and then demonizing those that are adult enough to point out the problem. Obama won't solve this, he has already made it worse. Because of Obama, we can no longer say SS is self-funding.

The Republicans aren't perfect on this issue, but they have offered possible solutions. Romney would at least stop kicking the can down the road.
* Okay, so you LINKED to CBS, but your WORDS are that of a Fox acolyte - easy to spot.
* Pointing out a problem is not "adult" and is the easiest thing to do.
Just pointing out a problem and doing nothing is what the right wing and Fox do. That's how I know you get your "news" and "information" from Fox or its contributors. Anything the right criticizes is what they want to destroy - who are you kidding.
* The right hasn't liked the SS program since its inception, and want to destroy it. You duck and dodge by saying Republicans have offered up a solution, but don't say what it is - why not?? What are these "solutions" besides cutting it or handing it over to Wall Street? NONE!! Stop being evasive and say what you want to be done!
I want it saved.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
* Okay, so you LINKED to CBS, but your WORDS are that of a Fox acolyte - easy to spot.
* Pointing out a problem is not "adult" and is the easiest thing to do.
Just pointing out a problem and doing nothing is what the right wing and Fox do. That's how I know you get your "news" and "information" from Fox or its contributors. Anything the right criticizes is what they want to destroy - who are you kidding.
* The right hasn't liked the SS program since its inception, and want to destroy it. You duck and dodge by saying Republicans have offered up a solution, but don't say what it is - why not?? What are these "solutions" besides cutting it or handing it over to Wall Street? NONE!! Stop being evasive and say what you want to be done!
I want it saved.

*I don't watch fox news. Once again, all you can do is bring up pointless attacks since you are lacking in substance.
*Republicans have proposed solutions. You are demonizing them. What is your solution? Obama doesn't have a solution proposed, that is why he deserves to lose.
*Most people want to see SS survive per CNN it is the 90% range and the numbers are so strong and high on this that the majority of republicans would support it as well based on common sense and simple math. You are full of generalizations and slander and no substance.

Stop being petty. Stop insulting. Romney will try to fix it. Obama hasn't and has no solution and in fact weakened it.

You have produced nothing to show that my CBS article is not correct. The stats are that it needs to be fixed.

Be an adult for once. Not an amateur kid like Obama.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:20 PM

58,062 posts, read 40,822,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Exactly right and well stated MM. I am not looking for a prez with ideological purity. Just want someone who can dial back the spending and buy time to keep us alive as a limited-gov't nation. Romney fits that bill.
Dial back spending?

Wanna tell us the last time a ChickenHawk saber rattler dialed back spending?

Old 05-14-2012, 03:29 PM

35,068 posts, read 19,178,389 times
Lightbulb Vote for Romney, he is pragmatic

Romney would work hard to put millionaires even further ahead.

It wasn't Democrats who labelled him a "vulture capitalist" for all of his job-cutting during his years at Bain Capital.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
*I don't watch fox news. Once again, all you can do is bring up pointless attacks since you are lacking in substance.
*Republicans have proposed solutions. You are demonizing them. What is your solution? Obama doesn't have a solution proposed, that is why he deserves to lose.
*Most people want to see SS survive per CNN it is the 90% range and the numbers are so strong and high on this that the majority of republicans would support it as well based on common sense and simple math. You are full of generalizations and slander and no substance.
Stop being petty. Stop insulting. Romney will try to fix it. Obama hasn't and has no solution and in fact weakened it.
You have produced nothing to show that my CBS article is not correct. The stats are that it needs to be fixed.
Be an adult for once. Not an amateur kid like Obama.
You certainly get you "information" from Fox or its contributors. Why be evasive?
What do you want done with Social Security and Medicare?
What will Romney do to fix them?
What have Republicans proposed to fix them?
What "common sense" measures will Republicans "support" (see above bolded)?
Be a proud conservative and say what you want done with the programs or what fixes you will support. These are not tough questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or