Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 05:01 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
Excommunication for being mildly critical of church doctrine is fairly common. Just ask Fawn Brodie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Confirmation bias at its best.
Quote:
Figures the kool-aid chugger would miss the point.
What is it you're trying to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:10 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
What is it you're trying to say?
Anyone who wants to know what happens when you publicly criticize the mormon church should ask Fawn Brodie. Or more realistically dig up her corpse, hold a seance, then ask her what's up.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:13 PM

28,097 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Anyone who wants to know what happens when you publicly criticize the mormon church should ask Fawn Brodie. Or more realistically dig up her corpse, hold a seance, then ask her what's up.
Yeah, I think the second option would make more sense. You could definitely rely on a corpse for accurate information.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:27 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,193,523 times
Quote:
Yeah, I think the second option would make more sense. You could definitely rely on a corpse for accurate information.
Look I know it's hard being on the other side of the chasm and all us non-thetans poking fun, but you've got to understand it's impossible to convince anyone who doesn't already buy it. Allah bless you for trying your hardest, I know you do, but it's a Sisyphean task at best.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:48 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,422 times
Quote:
Look I know it's hard being on the other side of the chasm and all us non-thetans poking fun, but you've got to understand it's impossible to convince anyone who doesn't already buy it. Allah bless you for trying your hardest, I know you do, but it's a Sisyphean task at best.
Really? Because it's one of the world's fastest growing religions. can't be that hard to convince people who don't already buy it!

Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Actually, Gallup showed Democrats as significantly more bigoted against Mormons when it comes to who they will not vote for.

There are Liberal Mormons who are Democrats and have been in Democratic Administrations , Congress or the Senate examples are the brothers Stewart and Morris Udall and the current Senators of New Mexico and Colorado.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:32 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
There are Liberal Mormons who are Democrats and have been in Democratic Administrations , Congress or the Senate examples are the brothers Stewart and Morris Udall and the current Senators of New Mexico and Colorado.
One who represents NV comes to mind.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:08 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
They said that about John F. Kennedy....that the pope would be running the country.

Mitt is not going to be taking policy and directives from Salt Lake City.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:11 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
a religion that for all intents and purposes says the entire envangelical version is a lie...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I don't suppose you'd care to prove that statement, would you?
that's not quite what we believe. we believe that we are the authorized church of Christ, and that we therefore have the rights of the priesthood and the guidance of authorized prophets. understandably, we believe that the rest of the churches don't have the priesthood or prophets, but they are not so easily dismissed as being a lie. they have much truth, but not all of it.

but even then, we don't believe that we have all of it either––not yet, anyway. we believe that God is revealing the gospel to us in steps, as indicated in the bible, and that therefore we still have a lot to learn, but that we are closer than other religions. we even celebrate the lives and teachings of the great reformers, because without them, the world never would have been in a position for the restoration of what we believe to be Christ's true church.

now, that is what the church teaches. what some members currently teach, and what some of the church leaders have taught in the past is a little more harsh, and even the book of mormon compares the other churches to the "***** of all the earth," which i can certainly understand to be insulting. but the central idea is that there is one church that is authorized and guided by prophets, and one church that will eventually be given the whole truth even though it doesn't currently have it, and the rest of the churches, inflammatory language aside, will be severely limited in their capacity to teach about and bring people to Christ.

Quote:
Excommunication for being mildly critical of church doctrine is fairly common. Just ask Fawn Brodie.
brodie wasn't "mildly critical" of church doctrine––she renounced it. can't get much more critical than that.

even then, she didn't want to remain a member anyway, so what's your beef with this? if you don't believe in the catholic church, criticize its teachings, and don't want to remain a member, are you going to complain when they then take you off of the records?

Quote:
Anyone who wants to know what happens when you publicly criticize the mormon church should ask Fawn Brodie.
and the excommunication wasn't for public criticism. it was for publicly saying that it was all a load of crap and the work of a ******.

if you still don't understand the difference, many mormons publicly criticized the church's meddling with california's proposition 8, even holding rallies and stuff. i haven't seen any of them getting excommunicated for it yet. i myself have openly said that i don't agree with the church's stance on gay marriage, and i am still a member of the church in good standing; there are certainly church members that don't agree with me, and some might even think i'm a heretic or something, but i'm well within the church's tolerance level of criticism, especially on political issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
+++1

Your probably not going to receive an answer to this point because they would have to confront one of their biggest hypocrises when it comes to their misplaced smugness and criticisms of the Mormon Church.

2 consenting adults are okay, but 3 or more are not? There is no real defense that can defend such flawed logic.
in my opinion, it goes both ways, and the mormons that are against equal rights for gays are just as wrong as the nonmormons that criticize polygamy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It's not a good idea to spew on what you think someone else might think.

I don't and have never considered Mormonism a cult.

Your credibility: ZERO
he/she did specifically mention "fundamentalists," which probably means they are not talking about you. fundies of any religion typically have a hard time tolerating other world views, though i have met some exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Really? Because it's one of the world's fastest growing religions. can't be that hard to convince people who don't already buy it!
this is tangential, but we mormons like to think that people are not being convinced by us, but by the Holy Spirit, and by themselves.

EDIT: oh yeah, i ought to give my two mormon cents on romney: i think he's a slimy bastard, and i really hope he doesn't give mormons any more of a bad name than he already is, and i really, really hope he doesn't win. our country is already in enough trouble without it being run (any more than it already is) like a parasitic, overspending corporation that exists only to fill the pockets of its executives at the expense of everyone else.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:39 PM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Actually the one representing Colorado (I think that's Mark, and the one in NM is Tom) is not Mormon. Even though he is Morris Udall's son (the senator from NM is Morris' nephew) his religious faith was instilled in him by his mother who was Protestant. I don't think Morris Udall was all that religious either, but he was definitely a baptized, practicing (to some degree at least) Mormon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections