Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 09:54 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
North Carolina is vital to Barack Obama's re-election. Electoral calculus suggests that he can't lose any other swing state if he loses NC. To make matters worse, Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Colorado are problem states for Obama this year. Simply put, Barack Obama is not a shoo-in for 2012. If he loses multiple swing states, he's out.
It's not and he can. All he really needs to win is Ohio, considering that he was polled considerable leads now in NV, NM, and NH.

Go do your math again.

See look: I just proved your entire statement wrong: http://www.270towin.com/2012_electio....php?mapid=lcv. In this scenario, he loses CO, IN, IA, NC, VA, NE AND FL and still wins.

You can just make stuff up, AeroGuy.

Quote:
Rasmussen has been closer to final outcomes in the last couple or three elections than any of those others. Of course, the supporters of those others would tell you that Rasmussen is always wrong. How else can they keep you believing them.
It hasn't. In fact, in 2010, it was the worst major polling firm. Nate Silver wrote an extended piece on it with, you know, actual numbers and facts (which you guys hate, I know), so seek it out if you're interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 10:12 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
It's not and he can. All he really needs to win is Ohio, considering that he was polled considerable leads now in NV, NM, and NH.

Go do your math again.

See look: I just proved your entire statement wrong: 2012 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College. In this scenario, he loses CO, IN, IA, NC, VA, NE AND FL and still wins.

It hasn't. In fact, in 2010, it was the worst major polling firm. Nate Silver wrote an extended piece on it with, you know, actual numbers and facts (which you guys hate, I know), so seek it out if you're interested.
What is the New York Times saying in their polls? Surely they would be telling the truth and that may well be numbers that you don't like too. Of course, you don't know how far left Silver leans.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:19 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
North Carolina is vital to Barack Obama's re-election. Electoral calculus suggests that he can't lose any other swing state if he loses NC. To make matters worse, Ohio, Florida, Pennsylvania, and Colorado are problem states for Obama this year. Simply put, Barack Obama is not a shoo-in for 2012. If he loses multiple swing states, he's out.

Electoral calculus according to who? AeroGuyDC?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:26 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
I've dismissed every Rasmussen poll thus far, including the ones having Obama up.

They are an outlier poll.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:12 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
People still do not know the real Romney, when they do polls will shift.

But people do, now know, the REAL Obama and they know he is REAL bad at being president. That is all that matters.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:32 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I've dismissed every Rasmussen poll thus far, including the ones having Obama up.

They are an outlier poll.
PPP has been far more of an outlier than Rasmussen in most state polling this election cycle, yet I'm sure you love and trust PPP.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post

Go do your math again.

See look: I just proved your entire statement wrong: 2012 Presidential Election Interactive Map and History of the Electoral College. In this scenario, he loses CO, IN, IA, NC, VA, NE AND FL and still wins.

And your beloved PPP just put out a poll (done for the Daily Kos no less) that had Obama and Romney tied in Wisconsin. In NH, a poll from a month ago had Romney up so I wouldn't be so confident about NH.

And Obama's approval remains well below (both nationally and in most swing states) what he needs to get 50% of the vote. His approval nationally is 48% at best (according to some pollsters, much lower) and incumbents almost always underperform their approval ratings by at least 1-2 points. And most approval rating polls are polls of registered voters/adults...not likely voters. Republicans/Republican-leaning independents are more likely to actually vote. You all just love to talk about 2004 and say that Bush's approval was low but, according to exit polls, his approval was about 53% among voters (it was 50%-51% in most polls right before the election).

Rasmussen was tied for most accurate pollster in 2008. Yes, it was not accurate in 2010. But in the last presidential election year it was accurate. Conservatives hate facts sometimes, but liberals do as well. Some of your posts lead me to believe that you are pretty emotional about your support of Obama. I would suggest that you're likely a bit biased and unable to look at this objectively.

Nevertheless, I agree with you that Obama does not need NC to win. But he is absolutely not a shoe-in for re-election.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Scottie boy Rasmussen is really becoming a joke.
Ummm....PPP has been quite a bit more of an outlier in state polling this election cycle than Rasmussen.

Do you really think Obama is certain to win North Carolina?

Even if he wins the election, he is unlikely to win NC unless he wins by a large margin (NC remains more Republican-leaning than most of the other swing states and he only won it by 14,000 votes in 2008). And virtually no one - including people who think Obama is almost certain to win - thinks that Obama will win by as a large of a margin as he did in 2008.

Old 05-16-2012, 11:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
LOL! As opposed to the real obama??? We know who obama is which is why Romney will trounce him in November and all the hate ads the left will use won't change it. You backed the wrong horse in '08 and America knows it.
Really? You didn't know who Obama was in 2008?[ I certainly did and voted for him.
What is funnier is that I know what the real Romney is too and hence I won't be voting for him in November.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:13 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,192,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It will depend on turnout in NC just like last time.
Pretty much this. It'll come down to who's done the most on the ground work between now and November, as it did last time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections