Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:06 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
In West Virginia, federal inmate Keith Judd recently swiped 42 percent of Democratic votes from the president, indicating the level of dissatisfaction among the rank and file. And according to a Talk Business–Hendrix College poll conducted on May 10, Obama leads John Wolfe, a virtually unknown candidate, in Arkansas’s 4th congressional district by only 7 points, 45–38.
Three weeks earlier, the Talk Business–Hendrix College poll showed the president leading by 65–24 in the slightly less conservative 1st district, but that was before Obama declared his support for same-sex marriage.

Wolfe, an attorney from Tennessee, tells NRO the new poll numbers indicate Democrats’ discontent with their standard-bearer. “He doesn’t understand them,” he says. “I think it’s more manifest in the health-care area. I think they would like something different.” For his part, Wolfe promises to repeal Obamacare.
Link: Obama

I will die laughing if the one loses the Arkansas primary. I'm already laughing at the fact that the race is so close.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 06:06 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
Some state Democratic parties allow independents and/or Republicans to vote in their primaries.

And although I don't think it applies in the states mentioned in your quote, in states that are nearly one party states, some voters who would normally align themselves with the minority party will register as a member of the dominant party just so they can vote for a moderate in the dominate party's primary.

For example, in most of Utah (with a few exceptions), one can pretty much guarantee that the Republican candidate will win the general election in the local and state races and the national races. So, if a liberal is going to have any chance of picking their representatives, they will need to register as a Republican and vote in their primaries for the most moderate Republican running. Conservatives do that in predominately Democratic states as well.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:19 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Some state Democratic parties allow independents and/or Republicans to vote in their primaries.

And although I don't think it applies in the states mentioned in your quote, in states that are nearly one party states, some voters who would normally align themselves with the minority party will register as a member of the dominant party just so they can vote for a moderate in the dominate party's primary.

For example, in most of Utah (with a few exceptions), one can pretty much guarantee that the Republican candidate will win the general election in the local and state races and the national races. So, if a liberal is going to have any chance of picking their representatives, they will need to register as a Republican and vote in their primaries for the most moderate Republican running. Conservatives do that in predominately Democratic states as well.
Are you saying the Democratic Party is dominant in Arkansas
Maybe a decade or two ago...

I will say this - ever since West Virginia all that talk about how Republicans hate Romney has pretty much stopped! There is no state in which Romney is as vulnerable as this, and Obama doesn't even have any real challengers.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:21 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,894,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post
Did you miss where I said, "And although I don't think it applies in the states mentioned in your quote".

Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,088,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueffenhardt View Post
Did you miss where I said, "And although I don't think it applies in the states mentioned in your quote".
I did miss that, I apologize!
Though that probably happens to a lesser degree in presidential elections I would think. I know in my some counties in Maryland people will register and run with the dominant party in that area as the only means of obtaining local office. There are very few swing regions of Maryland, and in most counties the dominant party is the GOP, it just happens that the handful of counties where everyone lives are solidly Democratic.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times
Default Obama Could Lose Arkansas Democrat Primary

My bet...

Obama will be the Democratic candidate regardless of the Arkansas outcome. And Arkansas will vote for Romney in November anyway. It's by no means in play. It's solidly red.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:21 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Link: Obama

I will die laughing if the one loses the Arkansas primary. I'm already laughing at the fact that the race is so close.
Arkansas, really! I don't think many Democrats are losing a hell of a lot of sleep about losing Arkansas.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:39 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,255,485 times
AR has had a strong history of being Democratic, both at state and national level politics. It is a state like KY and WV where it is more conservative but still somewhere where a 'blue dog' Democrat can win.

In the eventual nomination, the results don't matter. But in terms of saving face, it would be a large laugh if Obama lost the primary.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
All of Arkansas's delegates will go to Obama. The Arkansas Democratic Party has already said so, and notified the press.

I don't even know many Democrats or Independents that will be voting in the Democrat primary. Because several key races are going to be decided in the Republican primaries, as no Democrats are running.

Arkansas has open primaries. It doesn't matter how you are registered, when you arrive at the polls you're asked which ballot you want. You pick the party primary at the poll. And since most people want a say in the local races, and where I live the Republican party is the only party running candidates for the local positions, Democrats, Independents and Republicans will be asking for the Republican ballot.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:51 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmsterp View Post

I will say this - ever since West Virginia all that talk about how Republicans hate Romney has pretty much stopped! There is no state in which Romney is as vulnerable as this, and Obama doesn't even have any real challengers.
AR is dominated by the Democratic Party....just not the same Democratic Party like the national one that is dominated by Bay Area groupthink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections