Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 PM

1,332 posts, read 989,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notasmoker View Post
Perhaps what the OP was trying to get at is that Democrats tend to feel that patriotism can be demonstrated by fairly paying one's taxes, helping one's fellow man and questioning needless, endless wars. Republicans, on the other hand, tend to equate patriotism with being in the military and "serving one's country" in that capacity. Therefore, it is much more relevant to look at the Republican candidate's military family history vs. the Democrat candidate's. The fact is that Romney, as well as his many able-bodied sons, opted out of military service. Historically, Republicans tend to be pro-war while Democrats are more anti-war. So, yes, the OP asked a good question.
Funny...obama has been president for over 3 years.....we are still in afghanistan...just RECENTLY out of iraq....and then there was that little thing with libya...and now he is considering action against iran and syria.

And you have the balls to talk about repiublicans being war mongers??

Care to re-think your ignorant post or are you just gonna let it define you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,601,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Yes there wasn't an incumbent running in 08, but both Obama and McCain was scrutinized.

Only a fool would change captains mid voyage and not question the capabilities of the new captain.

If someone really believe in voting someone else and not questioning what that new person is about then it just sounds like they have a real dislike of the thought of Obama being President. Is it because he is Hawaiian?
When the ship is going down and the captain is a buffoon, you betcha I want to change captains.

Only a fool would keep a captain that keeps sinking the boat.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM

20,948 posts, read 18,966,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Just curious, have any of Mitt Romney's relatives ever served in the armed forces of the United States? I'm aware that none of his sons have seen fit to bother, but what about others in his lineage?
Some families (the Bush's cometo mind) are military people, some aren't.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:42 PM

5,503 posts, read 7,291,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post

BHO hasn't satrted any wars, either. He's ended one of Bush's failures and he's winding down the other.

R
Obama did not end the war in Iraq. He only carried out Bush's plan laid out in the Status of Forces Agreement of 2008. Obama expanded the war in Afghanistan and got us involved in a military conflict in Libya. Obama's lack of proper action in the Middle East have led to the probable election of a Moslem Brotherhood leader in Egypt.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,768,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Just curious, have any of Mitt Romney's relatives ever served in the armed forces of the United States? I'm aware that none of his sons have seen fit to bother, but what about others in his lineage?
Not sure....why would it matter? If the LACK of military service by the current president doesn't bother you, why would it bother you about Mitt?

Is this the next line of failed attacks from the Left?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:36 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,248,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
What about obama? What about biden? Have either of them saw 'fit to bother'? is military service suddenly a prerequisite to challenge obama for eh presidency?

The question is immaterial and irrelevant...and if you REALLY wanted to know the answer you could have googled it.

You obviously didn't follow my entire posts - Obama has no creds (if you don't comprehend the term "creds", you have never served in the US armed forces in combat and need to educate yourself.)

GOOGLE IT - and maybe learn the difference between being a civilian protected by people who die under the flag, or if less lucky, come home to 3rd quality health care and struggle to survive as a ward of their most grateful nation. Check it out.

Romney, a silver spoon son of a major player, never served, neither have any of his sons (5 ,I believe) , yet wants to be my CIC. My question was have any of his family ever served the US in uniform? Obama, same issue.

PS - Biden's son is a Marine.

You get what you vote for - and ultimately, you get what you deserve.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Not sure....why would it matter? If the LACK of military service by the current president doesn't bother you, why would it bother you about Mitt?

Is this the next line of failed attacks from the Left?

Since early 1970s, I've had no political orientation other than disgust at political parties in general. In Viet Nam, we died for an incredibly stupid, arrogant and misguided foreign policy - paid for in the blood and anguish of those dumb enough to volunteer (myself) or get drafted.

Failed attacks from the the left - you are !00% in error. I like nukes - they would save a bunch of misguided young men from wasting their lives serving an unappreciative and unworthy nation which is perfectly happy to expend their lives in stupidity and protecting the "OHH too valuable" to risk lives of those who can't be bothered to defend their nations flag.

I WAS REALLY ENTHRALLED BY DICK CHENEY'S - "I HAD OTHER PRIORITIES" when asked about his multiple deferments; OR CLINTON'S - I LOATH WAR. Robert McNamara admitted in private communications in 1967 that the Viet nam war was a loss. I watched a lot of people die or get permanently disabled in Viet Nam in my short tenure in 1969.

A lefty - NO, YOU BLEW THAT ONE, BIG-TIME!!!

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 05-29-2012 at 12:20 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 12:06 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,494,458 times
Military service shouldn't matter...it didn't matter when Clinton was attacked over it, and it shouldn't matter now.

Old 05-29-2012, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Military service shouldn't matter...it didn't matter when Clinton was attacked over it, and it shouldn't matter now.
You are entitled to your opinion - however I would suggest that a potential CIC might be better able to evaluate the costs of military action if he/she actually had some experience therein.

Our nation has, IMO, evolved into a very dangerous social situation wherein the lower socio-economic classes are expected to provide security for the rest of the population - which doesn't want to be bothered with the burdens of self defense. JMO

Old 05-29-2012, 05:09 AM

37,728 posts, read 40,764,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay51 View Post
Do you really want to go there?

The obvious response is have any Obamas' ever served in the military?
You mean the American Military, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections