Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What I will never understand are those who just plain do not vote. No matter what reason these people give, it makes no sense to me.
Me either.

I live in a small city of some 72,000 people. We recently had a vote to determine our school budget. 2767 voted.

Only 2767 freaking people bothered to vote. Out of 41,087 registered voters, only 6.73% of them bothered to vote in an election that more directly impacts their bottom line than any other vote.

And then we have to listen to nitwits complain that both parties are the same and they all suck.

OP, if you don't like it, get involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Me either.

I live in a small city of some 72,000 people. We recently had a vote to determine our school budget. 2767 voted.

Only 2767 freaking people bothered to vote. Out of 41,087 registered voters, only 6.73% of them bothered to vote in an election that more directly impacts their bottom line than any other vote.

And then we have to listen to nitwits complain that both parties are the same and they all suck.

I agree. If you want real change, run for local office. Local offices impact people the most, and are the easiest way to get your foot in the door with promoting a party or ideology. Paul was trying to run before he could crawl, put simply

Old 06-11-2012, 11:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
Me either.

and many of the 90 plus % that didn't vote will be the most vocal if they don't like the way things are going....

Old 06-11-2012, 11:34 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,199,083 times
I will vote for Jill Stein if she gets on the VA ballot, nobody else.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:34 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
I'll be voting.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:11 PM

42 posts, read 68,900 times
Some people get it, like you, gen811.
Other will just continue to be slaves to the kingdom.
We need something totally different in and from our government. No government would even be better than this corrupt joke that is dragging everyone from the middle class on down into the gutter.
And the thing that I will never understand is how (and why) anyone would ever make a donation to these shysters.
Unreal.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:46 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
If I lose my legs before the election,
I'll walk on the stumps to vote for Romney.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:51 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
it is people like you that got obama elected
these lazy assed people that stay home has no right to an opinion!!
shame on you!!
what the hell are you doing here if you are too frigging high minded to vote!
Please re read the OP.

There are other choices besides the 2 major parties.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:55 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
I'll hold my nose and vote for Romney, just like I held my nose and voted for McCain.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I don't want to vote for either of the candidates (not officially chosen yet, of course) that will probably be on the ballot. I wish everybody that does not like the two running would ask for a write-in ballot and write in the name of the person you would really trust. What do you think would happen? I don't think either one of these candidates knows what a true American really is.

Do you think either candidate has even read the constitution? The news said that Romney's dad tried to run for president and he wasn't even born in this country. Some of the things I read on this forum makes me wonder how many people who go vote even know what the process is and why and how these things get done.

Have you ever wondered what they are teaching in school now. I was watching the North Carolina history program on Wingate TV today and learned things I didn't even know. Maybe history is wasted on the young. I used to remember a lot of dates, etc. but now I can really understand what the history was and how things are supposed to work in America.

It is interesting to me that our forefathers refused to join the union of the United States of America before they discussed the adoption of the Bill of Rights. The Bill of Rights were laws in our state constitution that our forefathers wanted to make sure they had when the union of the states were formed. Our state wasn't even in on electing George Washington for the First President. We were considered a foreign country along with RI. North Carolina was the twelth state to join the union after they were told the Bill of Rights would be added and I am thinking RI held out until the Bill of Rights was adopted.

One of our teachers recently made the news when she told a student he could be arrested for being critical of Obama. Maybe we need to make the study of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights mandatory. But then I think it is, but if the teacher does not get it, how are the children going to learn the way our government works.

I used to be a Democrat and one year I didn't like anyone on the ballot, so I asked for a write-in ballot and was told I had the choice of those on the ballot only. You can always ask for a write-in ballot in the main election though. Some year I am going to do just that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections