Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:19 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,884,592 times

Advertisements

I am a member of the LGBT Community and I have been reading many of the most important publications and web sites in this community here on the East Coast. Last month I was in Miami and Fort Lauderdale (Wilton Manors) and was observing community events and listening to political discourse amongst LGBT people. I attended an important reception that was given to honor the founder of Fort Lauderdale's Stonewall National Museum & Archives.

Last week I spent the week in New York City and visited that City's LGBT Community Center on 13th Street in the West Village, among other gay gathering places.

This weekend was Gay Pride Weekend here in Philly, and the number of marchers in the parade down Market Street and revelers at the LGBT Pride festival at the riverfront Penn's Landing has broken all records. It made the front page of the daily Metro newspaper.

It seems to me that the majority of gay people, as a minority in the US like African-Americans, Asians, Jews, etc., have always leaned towards the Democratic Party in presidential elections. No surprise. However it appears that this year there is no attempt by the Republicans to even show up or to make some kind of token attempt to court the gay vote. In the Philly Gay Pride weekend events nearly everyone was wearing Obama 2012 pins and stickers. I understand the biggest (perhaps only?) organization of gay Republicans - The Log Cabin Republican Club - is going to even withhold an endorsement of Romney for pandering to the extreme right wing elements in his party which forced the removal of the only openly gay member of his team, and taking a hard-line view against Marriage Equality.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:26 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,625,232 times
I think if gays are supporting Oboy for one reason only, they're fools.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,185,020 times
I'm sure the LGBT community will vote for Obama en masse. The Republicans are largely driven by the agenda of religious bigots who dislike gay people. I can't see how that would be an option.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-13-2012 at 03:41 AM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-11-2012, 05:35 PM

29,184 posts, read 22,210,687 times
The gays are voters who vote in their own self interests first. Until gays receive equal rights in civil marriage and whatever other issues they have, I don't think any political philosophy will be more important to them as a group than voting for the party who supports their causes.

Once the conservatives understand that and give up their opposition, it's natural they will side with the liberals. Personal animosity or the lack of it doesn't make much difference, I think, as long as the gay community gets all the same rights heteros now receive.

The Democrats by and large simply don't care what kind of lifestyle a person's private life is. Right now, that's a built-in voter advantage for as long as the Christian conservatives hold sway with the Republican powers that be. If the Republicans snap out of it and get in the game, I'm very sure a lot of conservative gays will vote Republican. Romney has been on both sides of this issue, but he's currently 'severely conservative', so I expect he will stick with his latest flip on this. Unless it starts looking like he'll get whipped by the time October rolls around, and then he'll be all pro-gay again.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM

79,907 posts, read 43,959,063 times
Note: everyone votes their own self interests first.

Quote:
However it appears that this year there is no attempt by the Republicans to even show up or to make some kind of token attempt to court the gay vote.
Who did show up?

Old 06-11-2012, 06:59 PM

26,287 posts, read 14,885,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I am a member of the LGBT Community and I have been reading many of the most important publications and web sites in this community here on the East Coast. Last month I was in Miami and Fort Lauderdale (Wilton Manors) and was observing community events and listening to political discourse amongst LGBT people. I attended an important reception that was given to honor the founder of Fort Lauderdale's Stonewall National Museum & Archives.

Last week I spent the week in New York City and visited that City's LGBT Community Center on 13th Street in the West Village, among other gay gathering places.

This weekend was Gay Pride Weekend here in Philly, and the number of marchers in the parade down Market Street and revelers at the LGBT Pride festival at the riverfront Penn's Landing has broken all records. It made the front page of the daily Metro newspaper.

It seems to me that the majority of gay people, as a minority in the US like African-Americans, Asians, Jews, etc., have always leaned towards the Democratic Party in presidential elections. No surprise. However it appears that this year there is no attempt by the Republicans to even show up or to make some kind of token attempt to court the gay vote. In the Philly Gay Pride weekend events nearly everyone was wearing Obama 2012 pins and stickers. I understand the biggest (perhaps only?) organization of gay Republicans - The Log Cabin Republican Club - is going to even withhold an endorsement of Romney for pandering to the extreme right wing elements in his party which forced the removal of the only openly gay member of his team, and taking a hard-line view against Marriage Equality.

What do you think?
Well I hope that most members of your community would look at a variety of issues like the national debt.

I do not agree with Romney's position on gay marriage, however can you really trust Obama's position on the matter? For instance:

#1 Obama insists that it must be handled at the state level - which means he doesn't have to do anything than say a few words and generally stay out of the battle.

#2 Obama has flip flopped a few times on this position - he will ultimately do whatever will get him the most political power. A poor Gallup poll could send him back the other way in actions if not words.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,875,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I think if gays are supporting Oboy for one reason only, they're fools.
And supporting Mittens makes you what, smart? ROTFLMAO!

Old 06-11-2012, 07:14 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,718,356 times
Well, the gay individuals should vote as they like. And if they go whole hog for Mr. O, more power to them.

I wonder how powerful this voting block will be, however. It seems at this point that black and hispanics, gays, jews, younger college educated whites, and probably many women are leaning strongly towards Obama.

Older white high school or less educated guys , Mormons, Wall Street brokers, and maybe evangelicals are the main voting block for Romney. I don't really know the calculus, but I am guessing that some of those white, high school educated guys will be energized to vote the antigay candidate.

So, I think the gay vote might just be a kicker, but it could go either way.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:19 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,914,600 times
NYC homosexuals are supporting Obama? How is this news again?

Old 06-12-2012, 12:58 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,386,719 times
I think that members of the LGTB community are also individuals who may be realtors, bankers, business owners, teachers, doctors, butchers, bakers or candlestick makers. Depending on the many facets of their lives, some have more than one issue to consider in this election. At least one I know of can't wait until we can fire President Obama. A high fraction of a larger minority, straight white males, prefers candidate Romney by a significant margin, as do married women, business owners and people in the construction trades and mining industry. But that's why we have elections: to sort all this out, and find out what "the people" think. I think a Romney win would have little impact on LGTB issues, as public opinion is shifting your way on many of them. And a return to prosperity will be better for everyone, except for the welfare lobby and bureaucracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections