Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:38 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It took 8 years for the bumbling bush to screw up the economy and do you really expect it to be fixed in less than four? this is on top of the refuticans and those nutjobs called teabaggers obstructing everything that can help the American people
Is this always going to be the trump card everytime someone calls out Obama on his campaign promises? I don't think anyone expected everything to fully recover in 4 years or less, but people did expect some improvement nonetheless.

And not to defend the Tea party or Republicans, but the Demos controlled Congress and the Executive branch for 2.5 years. They could have passed almost anything at a whim, but I think it speaks volumes when people in your own party don't even agree with you. The Dems needed what? 60 votes in the Senate to pass new bills? They couldn't even get that done, because their own Senate members didn't agree with Obama's proposals.

Voting for him this time imo is sort of gambling on 4 more years of the same politically gridlocked, deadwood do nothing ideas.

As for polls, it really depends on which ones you choose to follow and the most popular ones seem to fluctuate every month. I think Gallop at one time this year even had Romney as the slight favorite between the two. Either way, I think it'll come down to the debates. I think when people see the two of them duke it out in a debate a few times is when you'll finally get some real numbers on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 01:05 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,819,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
Is this always going to be the trump card everytime someone calls out Obama on his campaign promises? I don't think anyone expected everything to fully recover in 4 years or less, but people did expect some improvement nonetheless.

And not to defend the Tea party or Republicans, but the Demos controlled Congress and the Executive branch for 2.5 years. They could have passed almost anything at a whim, but I think it speaks volumes when people in your own party don't even agree with you. The Dems needed what? 60 votes in the Senate to pass new bills? They couldn't even get that done, because their own Senate members didn't agree with Obama's proposals.

Voting for him this time imo is sort of gambling on 4 more years of the same politically gridlocked, deadwood do nothing ideas.

As for polls, it really depends on which ones you choose to follow and the most popular ones seem to fluctuate every month. I think Gallop at one time this year even had Romney as the slight favorite between the two. Either way, I think it'll come down to the debates. I think when people see the two of them duke it out in a debate a few times is when you'll finally get some real numbers on this.
There has been some improvements. I think many forget that it was forecasted in 2008 that the economy would get worse before it got better. It did get worse but it is getting better. In regards to believing campaign promises, I admit I don't really believe much of anything that comes out of any politician's mouth as I see them all as professional liars in a way, but I will vote for which liar I trust the most. Obama couldn't get everything passed within his own party, because, unlike what many believe, he is not an uber left liberal. He's a liberal but more of a centrist liberal and therefore isn't as extreme as the fringe left. I personally trust him and his lies more than I trust Romney and his lies. He hasn't run our country into the ground, regardless of what people think, he does have experience as a president (he has been one for over 3 years now) and I don't want to take a gamble on Romney and have him come in and try to please his extreme right (which I expect him to do and which is an area where I do respect Obama, that he did not bend to the will of the extreme left) base and do their bidding.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:11 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
Sorry, but you have your facts wrong, the DEMS did not control the white house and congress for two years, much less the 2 1/2 you claim. (how's that work seeing they lost the house after two years?)

They controlled a filibuster proof senate for about seven month before ted Kennedy died and they no longer had that 60th vote. That pretty much ended any control the DEMS had.

So, while you see the DEMS having 2.5 years of total unrestricted control of the government, reality is they had seven months of such control and most of that time was spent on ACA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post

Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Why is Obama ahead of mittens, look at the buffoon mittens is.

Why is Rasm always 5% or more to the right of other polls. Because they alone claim there are about 5% more republicans than other polls do. So their sampling methodology is slanted right.
You have just proved that you don't look at Rasmussen polls very often. Romney has been either a point or two behind or nearly tied for a long time now but all of a sudden he comes out ahead by 4 or 5 and you start whining about Rasmussen. Do you get what you know about them from Media Matters or Think Progress?

Old 06-14-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
RACE is why !

92% of blacks think he is doing a good job

( probably the same percentage of blacks who cheered when OJ Simpson was acquited )
I am not black but I sure cheered for OJ and was mad as hell when those people took every penny he had since I never did like Daddy Goodman.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Because his voter base doesn't care how good or bad of a job he's doing, all they care about is keeping him in office for another term.
Very few of them have any idea how or what he is doing, they just want him back to get even for Bush, I suppose.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shintao View Post
Republicans should stay with their poll. I wouldn't want them to miss what they are paying for, that sense of serenity and peace, that sure feeling.
Do you make a habit of looking at Rasmussen's poll results? I do, in fact they send their results to me every day and would do the same for even you if you give them your e-mail address. Then you could see what they learned, not what MM says they learned.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:11 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwolf fan View Post
RACE is why !

92% of blacks think he is doing a good job

( probably the same percentage of blacks who cheered when OJ Simpson was acquited )
Add name recognition to that.

Unfortunately, Americans are basically dumber than a box of rocks. I'll bet if someone like Leno took to the streets asking people to name the person running on the Dem ticket, everybody would know. But if he asked who is running on the Repub ticket, I'll bet at least half of them wouldn't have a clue.

For an incumbant to be basically tied with a nominee doesn't bode well for the incumbant.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:20 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I keep wondering about that and do get a bit heartened when i see that Romney leads Obama from 4 to 5% at Rasmussen. Somebody is right and somebody is not right. Since so many polls show less than the media does I think I will ride with Rasmussen.

Why are President Obama
For me, it's pretty simple. I've seen Massachusetts under Romney, as well as the US under Obama. Obama is both a vastly better executive, and far more honest, than Romney is. So, I'll be voting for Obama.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:57 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
There has been some improvements. I think many forget that it was forecasted in 2008 that the economy would get worse before it got better. It did get worse but it is getting better. In regards to believing campaign promises, I admit I don't really believe much of anything that comes out of any politician's mouth as I see them all as professional liars in a way, but I will vote for which liar I trust the most. Obama couldn't get everything passed within his own party, because, unlike what many believe, he is not an uber left liberal. He's a liberal but more of a centrist liberal and therefore isn't as extreme as the fringe left. I personally trust him and his lies more than I trust Romney and his lies. He hasn't run our country into the ground, regardless of what people think, he does have experience as a president (he has been one for over 3 years now) and I don't want to take a gamble on Romney and have him come in and try to please his extreme right (which I expect him to do and which is an area where I do respect Obama, that he did not bend to the will of the extreme left) base and do their bidding.
I think there have been a few improvements, namely in regards to troop withdrawls in Iraq and Afghanistan. He came through on that, but in regards to the Economy--I don't think so. And to be quite honest, I don't think he could get things past his own party simply because he lacked the necessary experience, knowledge and skills to get both sides on the same page. And I definitely disagree that he is a "left centrist", he most certainly is a far left winger given his track record with appeasing to the environmentalists (keystone pipeline), illegal immigrants (DREAM Act), gay marriage, "universal" health care, gay rights, Buffet Tax, and"equal pay" laws etc etc. It's not that I disagree with the problems that he identifies on these issues, but his approach and strategy to them are simply terrible. Romney on the otherhand is not a hard right winger, even his base will tell you that. He is most definiately a moderate-light right winger that appeals to indepedents which is why he was elected in Massachusetts. Candidates such as Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum are guys who I would call on the hard right side of things who were actually liked by the head honchos running the GOP. Overall though, I'd prefer Romeny at this point for reasons that I won't go into. I personally think voting for Obama will give us pretty much what we;ve seen in the last 3-4 years--which is really nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections