Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Bigger crowd than I expected, but not massive. Some protestors outside the event and a plane flying around how no president should let Detroit (GM, Chrysler) go bankrupt (it did, read a paper). Pretty good natured barbs between supporters and the few protestors (really not that many) with their 99% Obama - Romney is President of the 1% signs.

Not a bad speech focused primarily on economy - small to medium sized businesses. Romney did seem personable, but you really can't judge when you are only up close for a brief instant. He worked the crowd very well one on one when shaking hands. In fact, I was surprised how well he was in the one on one situations - because he does seem stiff or at least is portrayed that way.

Romney ran to Lake Michigan and got his feet wet with his wife (who spent part of her childhood living in a city on the lake).

The crowd really could have cared less for the local politicians and were real quiet when they were on the stage beforehand. However, they did get loud when Romney finally showed up a few minutes late. It was 91 degrees and hot. The event ran real smooth, plenty of air conditioned buses to bring in people from the parking 3 miles down the road smoothly.

Besides the Kid Rock song, and patriotic songs, they only played country music.

A staffer approached us and took a picture of my baby wearing a Romney onesie, because he is so cute, and said he would try to get it on the website! My dad got interviewed by the news, not sure if he made it on air.

Good time all around.

Awww, a Romney onesie...I bet that was cute! I knew some people who were at that. Quite a few of the Romney's from the area were there. Glad to hear it was fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,164,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Mark my words, Romney wins MI.

I think so too, Ed!

Old 06-20-2012, 06:23 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,053,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
OP, any estimate on the ration of male/female at the event?
I am really not sure, but I would say it was actually pretty close. Maybe 45% female, because it was overwhelmingly married couples - a few toting kids. There were a few groups of all women (older in age) that I seemed to notice.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:32 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona stallion View Post
All the bailout did is screw the bond holders who should have been in first position when the company went into chapter 11. Obama does enjoy pissing away other people's money, doesn't he?

Did Romney EVER pay back the 1.3 billion dollars of taxpayer money for the Olympics? Just curious. It sounds like a social program.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,152,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
Mark my words, Romney wins MI.
What about California? LOL

Old 06-20-2012, 08:38 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
So the man would have let the auto industry fail and some in Michigan think that's ok? makes no sense to me.

This is a lie. I have read the article Mitt wrote on the subject and his suggestion was reasonable allowing for a bankruptcy that would HELP To restructure the auto industry as a real partnership between mgmt and labor while producing cars with cost structures akin to those of Japan and Germany.

The suggestion that "the man would have let the auto industry fail" is both insulting and false.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:48 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
This is a lie. I have read the article Mitt wrote on the subject and his suggestion was reasonable allowing for a bankruptcy that would HELP To restructure the auto industry as a real partnership between mgmt and labor while producing cars with cost structures akin to those of Japan and Germany.

The suggestion that "the man would have let the auto industry fail" is both insulting and false.
"Free market" types seem to throw "bankruptcy" around like it's basically just an "accounting trick" and really no Big Deal.... except that is, for all the businesses (and employees) left holding the bag on all that bad debt!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:33 AM

20,457 posts, read 12,373,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
"Free market" types seem to throw "bankruptcy" around like it's basically just an "accounting trick" and really no Big Deal.... except that is, for all the businesses (and employees) left holding the bag on all that bad debt!

communists seem to love it when government tosses bad money after good.

see there I can make non-sensical ultrapartisian insipid remarks too.

Bottom line, Mitt DID NOT (as you suggest) offer tossing detroit to the bears. He did offer well reasoned solutions that would help both the business and labor come to an equitable solution to an issue that still exists.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:01 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,451,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
communists seem to love it when government tosses bad money after good.

see there I can make non-sensical ultrapartisian insipid remarks too.

Bottom line, Mitt DID NOT (as you suggest) offer tossing detroit to the bears. He did offer well reasoned solutions that would help both the business and labor come to an equitable solution to an issue that still exists.
In an Op-Ed for the NY Times, "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt", Romney argued that a "managed bankruptcy" could benefit General Motors, Ford and Chrysler because it would "permit the companies to shed excess labor, pension and real estate costs."

So while Romney didn't suggest the Detroit auto industry be liquidated, he did in fact suggest "bankruptcy".... which ain't so swell if you happened to be the folks on the "excess labor, pension and real estate" side of the equation holding all that debt! But what the heck, it's just "business", right...?!

Old 06-20-2012, 10:02 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Did Romney EVER pay back the 1.3 billion dollars of taxpayer money for the Olympics? Just curious. It sounds like a social program.
Why would Romney pay back Olympic dollars granted by the federal government? Shouldn't you be asking the Olympic organization this question, or better yet the US Government? Yes you should.

Ignorant post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections