Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:16 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, if the gay marriage thing is going to hurt him, it's going to be in one of the few Southern states that actually vote Democrat. You just don't notice it in the ones already voting Republican.

It's more about his losing a good percentage of the black vote which he got 95% of in '08.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2012, 12:23 AM

8,754 posts, read 10,165,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If that's true -- it won't be that more blacks are voting for Romney -- the black vote simply isn't negotiable, 90% of blacks will vote for a democrat no matter what. Or they won't vote at all.

The black vote is solid monolith -- no question about it. That's why Obama isn't even making promises to get their vote - he can safely assume he gets the vast majority of the black vote. He might be wrong in assuming they're all going to bother getting out to vote. It would be difficult to see how the enthusiasm would still be there. Unemployment is just too be a problem and Obama is giving what few jobs there are to the illegals.

Which means black folks have no representation actually. Their vote is just taken for granted because the Democrats think they have them locked. I find that sad. I don't think I would want to be viewed that way, as not having my own mind and just voting whoever the Democrats tell me to.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,936,635 times
Wow black people are going to vote for the guy whose only contact with blacks is "I have a cocktail party tonight, could you set up the ballroom for company" and whose religion forbade black people in the clergy until the 1970s

Old 06-21-2012, 12:33 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Dam! Another sleepless night worrying about North Carolina Blacks. Obama is doomed. I wonder who they'll vote for instead? Ron Paul? Maybe Newt Gingrich as a write in? Probably the 999 guy, whoever he was. I'm sure the word is going out now among the black community. "Don't vote for the OREO."
The damage will not be so much for them voting GOP (although that little amount will hurt) but that they will come out in more depressed numbers than they did in 2008. Which is almost certain.

I'm sure to the extent this does happen, most of it's because a few have bought into this anti-gay rhetoric coming from right wing Christian groups.

I hope, like me, some refuse to vote for him because he failed to FIGHT for liberal values, which include issues important to blacks.

John Conyers (D) , the black Congressman from Michigan already told us Obama has signaled to the GOP he will go along with them in cutting Social Security benefits.

He really stabbed blacks and his base in the back. On ending these wars, having the wealthy pay their fair share of the budget, by helping to cut Social Security benefits, civil liberties, and outright law breaking, surrounding himself with Wall St fat cats.

Blacks did wind up voting for a Republican and some of them are not going to do it again.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:19 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Wow black people are going to vote for the guy whose only contact with blacks is "I have a cocktail party tonight, could you set up the ballroom for company" and whose religion forbade black people in the clergy until the 1970s
Why not? Things change. Obama is "living proof" that a "person of color" can rise to the top in the most powerful country of the world. Sheesh!

Old 06-21-2012, 07:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Those 800 thousand work permits for Dream Act people may just make enough Blacks mad so they WON'T vote for Obama.
What kind of a racist statement is that? Do you assume most blacks are competing for jobs in which English proficiency is not required?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
What kind of a racist statement is that? Do you assume most blacks are competing for jobs in which English proficiency is not required?
Where did you get that idea from that these 800K+ people do not speak English ?

These are 16-30 who have been in the US for 5 years and have graduated HS or have a GED.

We're not talking about the uneducated that come here to pick lettuce. Dreamies qualify for these work permits and they are not only HS educated and speak fluent English but they also have college degrees.

There are plenty of these 800K that speak fluent English as these are the youth who have been here for 5 years or more.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:16 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Where did you get that idea from that these 800K+ people do not speak English ?

These are 16-30 who have been in the US for 5 years and have graduated HS or have a GED.

We're not talking about the uneducated that come here to pick lettuce. Dreamies qualify for these work permits and they are not only HS educated and speak fluent English but they also have college degrees.

There are plenty of these 800K that speak fluent English as these are the youth who have been here for 5 years or more.
So why would blacks, specifically, be angry about the Dream Act?

Old 06-21-2012, 08:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So why would blacks, specifically, be angry about the Dream Act?
Because the young illegals between 16 and 30 will take jobs away from legal residents and citizens, including many blacks.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:37 AM

5,347 posts, read 10,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Staying home is about the same as voting Romney, pick your poison. I do agree though I'm skeptical about this poll showing some weakness in Obama's support among Blacks.
That's what the trailer park and tin foil crowd wants but it's not gonna happen. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections