Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 01:24 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,833,234 times

Advertisements

For weeks I've been getting a daily Robocalls - sometimes 1, sometimes 2 or 3 - to donate to Mitt Romney's campaign. It's changed a bit since Obamacare passed the Supreme Court. Now it's a long spiel about Romney repealing Obamacare (which, he can't repeal anyway) on his first day in office and it's annoying as hell.

How do I get off this list? Why does Mitt Romney think that if they annoy me with calls I will eventually give them money? I don't get calls to donate to Obama every freaking day.

Says a lot about his campaign, if you ask me.

Then again, maybe it's some kind of weird reverse logic Obama/Democrat trick. Annoying phone calls asking for money, every day. That's one way to make you hate someone.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:29 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
I highly doubt you are getting these daily robocalls. As far as whether or not Romney will be able to repeal ObamaCare on his first day in office if he is elected, the law provides that the president can issue a waiver to any state and he has said that he will issue a waiver to all 50. Also, a law repealing it would only require a simple majority to pass the Senate and it's hard to imagine the GOP not having a majority in the Senate if Romney is elected.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I highly doubt you are getting these daily robocalls. As far as whether or not Romney will be able to repeal ObamaCare on his first day in office if he is elected, the law provides that the president can issue a waiver to any state and he has said that he will issue a waiver to all 50. Also, a law repealing it would only require a simple majority to pass the Senate and it's hard to imagine the GOP not having a majority in the Senate if Romney is elected.
Doubt all you want. Just tell me how to make this garbage stop filling up my answering machine. You know what the guy sounds like? Here. Play this. It sounds like this. Except it's for Mitt Romney and it's asking me for money.

WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MEN! - YouTube

Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 PM

Mitt Romney Robocall - YouTube

Old 06-30-2012, 03:27 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
So if the Republicans control the WH, HR, and Senate the Democrats can't filibuster a repeal of Obamacare - as it is a spending bill (tax)?

Old 06-30-2012, 05:44 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
While I'm not getting them daily, I get them at least twice a week now. Since I live in a very conservative state, I'm sure Romney is mining the solid red states very hard and deeply.

The strangest thing of all about them is the spoken disclaimer at the very first of the call. That guy talks at the speed of light! I know that he is saying the call is not officially connected to Romney, but he speaks so fast I have yet to understand every word he speaks. I don't hang up just because I want to eventually understand everything in that vocal blaze- it's verbally as fast as a gun going off.
.... and it always cracks me up! There's nothing like a split second of high amusement to lighten an otherwise routine evening.

I have also noticed that the plea for money is increasing every month. It started with $10, and now, the last one was for $38.
Why not $35 or $40? That's cracking me up, too... somebody is spinning things a tad too much in some back office.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Not sure but I get e-mails from the Romney Campaign 3 times a day AT LEAST and it's pis sing me off! I blocked the addresses but they seem to keep coming in from different senders every single time.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
So if the Republicans control the WH, HR, and Senate the Democrats can't filibuster a repeal of Obamacare - as it is a spending bill (tax)?
Yes, a repeal should be able to be passed with only 51 votes, or 50 plus a Republican VP, through budget reconciliation.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 06-30-2012 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 08:25 PM

14,021 posts, read 15,022,389 times
Living in a solid partisan state FTW.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:35 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
Yes, a repeal should be able to be passed with only 51 votes, or 50 plus a Republican VP, through budget reconciliation.
That is unlikely because of the Byrd rule. It would be very, very hard to say that repealing healthcare is "merely incidental" compared to the budgetary components.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections