Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2012, 02:23 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So now he's gone from just being a rich guy to a tax evader ?
All by partisan speculation.
Obsessed stalkers will use any deception they can conjure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 02:30 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
So true. Romney's "flexible principles" on so many other issues make it impossible for anyone but his most ardent supporters to take him at his word.
I also suspect that it doesn't matter what is in those returns - no matter how egregious. He could be the biggest crook on the face of the planet, and it would either be ignored or made excuses for.

The fact that we already know he is a shameless pandering liar doesn't seem to matter to his flock.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:36 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
Looks that way.

I think he is hiding the fact that he has sister wives that have children that he is claiming a dependents.

We won't know for sure now that Anne told the little people we are only getting one incomplete tax return.

We have to wait til after the election when these returns will be leaked to the public
This is all getting very juicy -- great stuff for a novel. I'm enjoying this. Have another shot of cool aid and carry on.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:38 PM
F40

826 posts, read 857,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
this is all getting very juicy -- great stuff for a novel. I'm enjoying this. Have another shot of cool aid and carry on.

:d

Old 08-18-2012, 04:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Fast and Furious is over, there is no national security issues Nice strawman though to defend a cover up..

So Obama hires people that stand there acting like crybabies insisting on things they arent entitled to, and you expect me to believe he's qualified to be president?

Please point to me where it says those running for public office should release tax returns..

I dont give a crap about either but thank you for outright lying and displaying your own ignorance. Romney pays far more, both in a $ figure, and a percentage, in taxes than most americans. When you start to worry about everyone else, I'll give a rats butt about your opinion.
Romney is not entitled to hide his tax information from The People. He chose a dark campaign of hate and mystery. He will lose. Oh, poor Romney, his "FAR TOO LARGE" tax burden must really make him want to hide his tax returns and fire his second-hand owned workers and buy some more million dollar horses instead. Romney pays less than average American who pay 25%. No one is a crybaby except the people Romney hires to cry for his entitlement to hide his shadowy tax returns.

Amendament #1 of the U.S.A. constitution buddy, look it up. Romney should do whatever I want him to if he wants my vote and my silence.

"There is no security issues" Go tell that to your Romney crybabies who maliciously insinuate that "Obama gave too much information after killing Osama"

Corporate Welfare for Romney has got to stop.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,062,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Obsessed stalkers will use any deception they can conjure.
He didn't go from being a rich guy to a tax evader. He is still a heartless self-obsessed out-of-touch rich guy, he never changed. The fact that he is definitely a tax avoid-er doesn't make him a tax evader, but the fact that him and his crybabies think they are entitled to hide his shadowy tax returns from the voters, does give circumstantial evidence that he is a tax evader... though not proven, that is exactly what a tax evader would do... Someone with no illegal or embarrassing activities to hide (like Obama) would not hide their taxes and force his crybaby foaming supporters to defend shadowy Nixonian decisions.

I also want to see Romney's school transcripts. I already know Obama graduated with 'great honors' and Romney with "not so great" honors. If neither release their transcripts, I'll never know what grades they got and in what classes.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 08-18-2012 at 04:44 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 04:44 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Romney is not entitled to hide his tax information from The People. He chose a dark campaign of hate and mystery. He will lose. Oh, poor Romney, his "FAR TOO LARGE" tax burden must really make him want to hide his tax returns and fire his second-hand owned workers and buy some more million dollar horses instead. Romney pays less than average American who pay 25%. No one is a crybaby except the people Romney hires to cry for his entitlement to hide his shadowy tax returns.

Amendament #1 of the U.S.A. constitution buddy, look it up. Romney should do whatever I want him to if he wants my vote and my silence.

"There is no security issues" Go tell that to your Romney crybabies who maliciously insinuate that "Obama gave too much information after killing Osama"

How do those sour grapes taste?

BTW, Obama DID give too much info.
Check out "Dishonorable Disclosures" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-Xfti7qtT0

Quote:
Someone with no illegal or embarrassing activities to hide (like Obama) would not hide their taxes and force his crybaby foaming supporters to defend shadowy Nixonian decisions.
Obama has embarrassing activities to hide? Who knew?!

Old 08-18-2012, 05:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:

Sure he is. There is no law saying he has to make it public. No law whatsoever.

Old 08-18-2012, 05:40 PM

580 posts, read 449,701 times
What the h3ll is going on in here!? I thought I said this thread is over...!!! Did some of you R'money-bots not see this post by H'Dude?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
Taking a step back for a moment... Romney's refusal to release additional tax returns has come at no small political cost. Even prominent members of his own party have been encouraging him to do so for weeks, and he has refused in the most unequivocal terms. He is not even pretending that it is part of some principled stand (whatever that might conceivably be), he is simply refusing period.

He has clearly made the political calculation that the cost and damage of speculation regarding what he might be hiding is less than the cost of actually releasing them. And we can see from the last several news cycles, weeks of them in fact, the cost of not releasing them is high indeed.

Now, certainly, the Reid accusation that he had years where he paid no taxes was hardly credible. But even were they true, that would not have been an indication of illegality. At worst it would be embarrassing, but that is a boil that could have been lanced early and end up long forgotten by election day.

The brouhaha over when he left Bain is a more significant problem, but that is hardly an issue that has ever depended on his tax returns to settle. We already have the actual SEC filings in the public records showing that for three years Bain Capital made official filings that directly contradict his personal claims of when he left. Tax returns would add nothing to that discussion regardless of what they reflected, other than briefly raise again an issue that by now has lost the interest of the electorate.

I note also that a release of only five years of returns would not cover the Bain transition anyway.

So... we are left with the reasonable deductions that 1) whatever he does not want to reveal is something that took place since the 2007 tax year, and 2) it is more than merely embarrassing. Politicians do not take such stands because it's merely something they don't want to do, it is because it is something they cannot do. Whatever Romney is holding back is a campaign ender. Paying no taxes in any number of years is not a campaign ender. Anything having to do with Bain is both outside of the time horizon and not a campaign ender. Any routine audits, even those including denial of weird deductions (like dancing horses) are not campaign enders. So what is it?

There appears to be only one possibility that fits all the particulars of timing and severity and that also conforms with a couple of other details we know regarding Romney's finances.

It is already well known that Romney aggressively pursues as low a tax burden as possible, agains something that is not on its face wrong. His lower-than-Ryan's tax bracket reflects his success at generating much if not most of his income via tax protected or tax favorable investments. And we all know that he has taken full advantage of off-shore banking opportunities to further reduce his tax burden... and here is where he possibly crossed the line.

In 2009, the legendary secrecy of the Swiss banking system was challenged by a series of court decisions that drove them to announce they would be releasing the names of account holders... exposing thousands of wealthy depositors to criminal charges of tax evasion in their home countries. In the US, the IRS decided that rather than waiting for the revelation and then engaging in costly and time consuming litigation to recover the illegally sheltered tax revenue, they would offer amnesty to those individuals who came forward of their own free will and paid the owed back taxes and penalties.

Had the Romney's taken advantage of this amnesty, it would be visible in the tax returns for 2007 and 2008. They would reflect adjustments for the corrected tax liability as well as relevant penalties. They would prove that Romney was not merely a man who aggressively managed his taxes, not merely a man who made mistakes on his taxes or paid certain obligations late, but a deliberate tax cheat who criminally violated US tax law.

This is the explanation that fits the broadest suite of known facts regarding Romney's refusal to release his tax records. It is the only one that goes some measure to rendering his refusal reasonable. Romney does not hold back his tax returns because of a desire to retain his privacy or to avoid embarrassment.

Romney cannot release them if he actually wishes to ever be the President of the United States.

Here...I'll requote in its entirety in case some of you missed it the 1st time...

...again...this thread is over...turn out the damn lights when you 'git-on-up' out of here...

Old 08-18-2012, 08:56 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
Quote:
From LuminousTruth above...
That should lay to rest the controversy of the tax returns and transcripts. So make your decision and stick with it. Only you can pass judgement on your personal and lawful decisions and actions. I support Romney in sticking to his decision. Obama's as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections