Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 05:25 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
It made me realize the strong generalizations that some folks have about all folks that are members of the opposite party. Like they think every single person in that party agrees with every single item that the party backs and assumes the individuals supporters of that party are to the far extreme of that party. (assumes lefties are to the far left and righties are to the far right.)

Anyway, it makes me realize that folks can judge you based on which party you vote for and support. So you have to be careful about letting your political beliefs known at work or on the web, because it could have a negative affect on promotions or future job offers soley on your political beliefs. Someone that is a strong supporter of the opposite party might be making the hiring decisions. It's best they not know your political leanings, because they might make incorrect assumptions about you.

It's a real eye opener to see the judgement being cast based on party affiliation. It's like humans have gone mad over politics.
I think if you look around you will find this "generalization" extends beyond politics. There is a huge "herd" meme that is pushed constantly.

Individualism is conveniently supported when it applies to silly things like food choices, anything else and the idea that you are an individual is just well "non-existent". (lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 05:34 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Not so much changed my mind, but many posts have intrigued me enough that I've done more research and modified my position. And there are posts where I didn't even have an opinion to begin with, that have expanded my thinking.
Same here.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:36 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,390,751 times
Occasionally I read one and my mind is always changing. Though I doubt I will ever become a rightwinger.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:55 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Here? Not so much. There's very little actual discussion that takes place on this forum - just mindless screeching of partisan propaganda. Any attempts to bring facts to the discussion are met with silly one-liners and name-calling.

Other forums that aren't inhabited by children? Sure. Maybe not really changing positions, but certainly some shifting and firming up.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:21 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times
Default Absolutely

Whereas before, I had an ounce of respect for the Conservative viewpoint. Now, I have none.

Also true too is that, before I knew Obama was an excellent President. Now I know this with unyielding certainty after reading the narrative from the Right.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:12 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times
I'd say I have definitely been impacted by posters like dixiegirl, afoigrokerkok, and others to support Romney. I was set to vote for Ron Paul in my caucus. I am, to use Larry Elder's term, a 'Republitarian.' I was especially skeptical of Romney due to his anti-gun history.

As it turned out I had to work on caucus day and didn't get to go anyway, but I would have voted for Romney. The Romney CPAC speech also did a lot to turn me around. He will do even more if he picks Rubio or Jindal for VP.

Mitt Romney Speech at CPAC 2011: America Needs a "New President" - Complete Video 2/11/11 - YouTube

Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM

26,490 posts, read 15,066,580 times
I've changed viewpoints over the years on issues.

Sadly funny how some on here are proving their own small mindedness by blanket labeling the entire opposing side as being small minded.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:29 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,759,513 times
Yes, I have changed my mind on at least one issue. Not fully, but partially.

I used to rather sloppily pin the housing bubble on Bush II. From the discussions here, I realized the housing debacle was long in coming, starting at least with the repeal of Glass-Steagal in the Clinton presidency, and of course shared with the GOP congress of that time. All these were right wing ideas, but not executed exclusively by Bush or the GOP.

I have also been informed by some of the more thoughtful posters on many issues. This is not a great forum for that, but it does come through occasionally.

I will say, I have been utterly shocked that people who post the most seem to have zero interest in learning anything, and can be deceitful and arrogant in the extreme. Interesting to see people screeching and ranting and parroting everyday, with zero interest in learning or communicating with anyone not like themselves. What an odd way to think and interact.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:56 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,457,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Here? Not so much. There's very little actual discussion that takes place on this forum - just mindless screeching of partisan propaganda. Any attempts to bring facts to the discussion are met with silly one-liners and name-calling.

Other forums that aren't inhabited by children? Sure. Maybe not really changing positions, but certainly some shifting and firming up.
I actually think this is a decent forum as long as you ignore some of the more obnoxious posters. I should mention that, when I say "obnoxious posters," this includes plenty of people on "my side." I have never participated in another political forum (forums where other topics were discussed, yes), but do read other political forums. Most political forums seem to be devoted to one side or the other and become nothing more than cheerleading. Many times people who have opinions that deviate from the party line are banned. Obviously, there's a lot of cheerleading on this forum but at least it's from both sides. Sure, there are other forums that are not devoted to a specific side, but I haven't found any that seem to get as much traffic as this one.

I've had quite a few good discussions with people on this forum. A lot of people on here post facts. A lot post well-thought-out opinions that aren't mere regurgitation of talking points. Even if I disagree with some of these opinions, I enjoy reading them and discussing them. You just have to ignore the "silly one-liners and name-calling" that follows facts and rational opinions and you have to stay away from the type of threads the forum trolls love (you know the ones I'm talking about...the neverending threads about race, homosexuality, etc.).

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 07-10-2012 at 12:20 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The Romney CPAC speech also did a lot to turn me around. He will do even more if he picks Rubio or Jindal for VP.

Mitt Romney Speech at CPAC 2011: America Needs a "New President" - Complete Video 2/11/11 - YouTube
I'm voting for Gary Johnson, and I know he won't be our next President,
but I will say this: boy, what a race with the two first ladies. Both guys,
have really great wives ....maybe they should be running instead of
them

Your VP picks...no it WILL BE Pawlenty
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections