Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
I know quite a few Indian-Americans and they are not a monolith. Also,not all Indians are Hindu,some are Christian,many Catholic. BTW anyone remember slow Joe Biden's slight Indian accent comment?
Sure, there are exceptions to every rule. I am only saying a general truth and you can always find exceptions to it.

I didn't say all Indians were Hindus, but most of them are. The Christians are from the southern part of the India, but they have migrated to US disproportionate to their percentage back home. A lot of them are in Chicago, NY-NJ, CA etc., basically states that already vote Democrat. Amongst the swing states, I can only imagine FL of having a significant South Indian Christian population which might vote Republican, but in the big picture, they are not as big a demographic to swing elections. VA does have some Indian population around the DC/Beltway area, but again I don't think they will swing elections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
They washed away.
As he was told they would by the Corps of Engineers, but Katrina political capital was up for grabs.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:10 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I've been to Louisiana. It shouldn't serve as a model for America.
True. Many years of corrupt Democrat rule can ruin a place. Jindal has done a good job though.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:13 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
If he was the vp,would he attract Indian-Americans to vote for that ticket? Indian-Americans are one of the fastest growing nationalities in the US. They seemed to have swayed the 2006 Virginia senate race. Remember Macaca? States like PA,VA,OH,MI have fast growing Indian populations.
The GOP base, the crazies, won't like Jindal once they get to know him.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I've been to Louisiana. It shouldn't serve as a model for America.
and you think this is the fault of Jindal? LA has had serious problems for years, he is trying to make the conditions a little better. We have similar problems in AR, we have a Democrat governor, he is popular, certainly most of us have no problems with him, but only so much can be done...

Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Indian Americans vote heavily Democratic. Very unlikely that a name like Bobby Jindal would do anything to change that. Much more than anything, they vote Democrat because of their perception that the Democratic Party cares more for the minorities and the Republican Party is for the "Rich White People". The Republican Party also goes out of the way to demonize non-Christians, and most Indian Americans are Hindus. (So was Jindal, till he changed to Christianity.)
The Indians who vote dem instead of republican do so because they hate republican foreign policy and yes...the racist anti-anyone-who-is-not-christian bent. I agree.

But given that Indians are business owners, professionals, and the richest minority in the country, they are voting against their own interests.

I am Indian and republican/libertarian, as are my parents. We will continue to vote republican as long as dem policy continues to be redistribution of wealth to the lazy and illegals.

There are not enough Indians in this country to swing any election.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The GOP base, the crazies, won't like Jindal once they get to know him.
By crazies, are you referring to the people who magically faint at the sight of Obama?
BTW,Louisiana is more conservative than the nation as a whole,and Jindal won two landslide elections. THink the base would have no problems with him.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:58 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Have you been to Chicago?

Yes! Great blues clubs. Outstanding restaurants. Superb museums.

You?

Old 07-16-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The Indians who vote dem instead of republican do so because they hate republican foreign policy and yes...the racist anti-anyone-who-is-not-christian bent. I agree.

But given that Indians are business owners, professionals, and the richest minority in the country, they are voting against their own interests.

I am Indian and republican/libertarian, as are my parents. We will continue to vote republican as long as dem policy continues to be redistribution of wealth to the lazy and illegals.

There are not enough Indians in this country to swing any election.
I disagree. In places like Northern Virginia their is a large Indian-American population. Jim Webb won that senate race by a few thousand votes. Much of the reason was George Allen's ill advised Maccaca comment.

Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,393 times

Kids Talk Back to Bobby Jindal - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections