U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2012, 03:47 PM
 
Location: NC
1,946 posts, read 1,541,078 times
Reputation: 883

Advertisements

The "Conservatives" hate the Muslims, and yet there is no one on earth more conservative than the Muslims.

The "Liberals" love the Muslims, and yet Muslims vehemently oppose one of the cornerstone ideologies of American liberalism, LGBT rights (or in fact, any form of cultural liberalism). In fact, if you are a gay person in a strict Muslim country, you will be lucky if you are not hung or beheaded.

The paradox of our times. People need to get their priorities straight. ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2012, 05:44 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,958 posts, read 22,104,197 times
Reputation: 10688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I disagree completely. I think religion can be a very important criteria when judging a person's overall fitness for any public office.

I find the fact that Mitt Romney actually believes that when he dies he will be transformed into a god living near Planet Kolob to be very scary.
It's every bit as scary to me that people actually buy buy into all of the anti-Mormon garbage there is out there. I didn't realize the National Enquirer had a religion page now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Orlando
8,233 posts, read 11,270,366 times
Reputation: 4064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
For one thing,Mormons didn't fly planes into the WTC. The religion of peace did.

Well in all fairness it was some very extremist in the religion, ... kind of like the bigamy of the Mormons... they all don't practice the extreme.... but they still seem crazy to the rest of us...

What would the US do if we had 3 or 4 first ladies? now there is something to ponder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,958 posts, read 22,104,197 times
Reputation: 10688
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
What would the US do if we had 3 or 4 first ladies? now there is something to ponder!
Well, if there were 3 or 4 first ladies, Romney would promptly be excommunicated from his Church as polygamy is an excommunicable offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 07:56 AM
 
15,412 posts, read 7,873,596 times
Reputation: 7991
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I don't know one person who would not vote for Obama beause he might be a Muslem. Those people wouldn't vote for him regardless and that goes for the other side as well.

I will tell you, though I certainly am not an expert on the Muslim religion, I do know enogh about it (which doens't take much) to know their overall thinking is "force everyone to believe their way" (the rdicals that is) I have never known a Mormon to force their religion down anyone's throat. Yes, they do have ideas many of us have trouble with, yes, they can even be cliquee (spelling) and they do love to go door to door, which does drive some of us nuts, but they are also very peaceful people.

Just wanted to say, the fact that Mormons go door to door is proof they are trying to force you to believe what they believe.

Muslims don't go door to door trying to evangelize people and make them believe in Allah - i.e. force their religion down everyone's throat.

You should learn more about islam as I have never been forced, at my own house no less, to listen to a spiel about Muhammed or Allah like I have been from Mormon's and JWs and other "Christianity Based" religions. Even pentecostal Christians have come to my door. No Muslim has ever tried to tell me about their god or force me to listen to them. The fact that you don't know much about the Muslim religion is proof that they aren't trying to force it down your throat - like the Mormons.

Readers please note, I don't like any religion and am an atheist (but not one who likes to push my non-belief on others or try to tell them how ridiculous their religion is). I don't think one faith is better than another though and do think it is ridiculous the horrible view that people have of Islam versus other god based religions, since Islam is very similar to Judaism and Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
The "Conservatives" hate the Muslims, and yet there is no one on earth more conservative than the Muslims.

The "Liberals" love the Muslims, and yet Muslims vehemently oppose one of the cornerstone ideologies of American liberalism, LGBT rights (or in fact, any form of cultural liberalism). In fact, if you are a gay person in a strict Muslim country, you will be lucky if you are not hung or beheaded.

The paradox of our times. People need to get their priorities straight. ;-)
I don't think either side really love the Muslims!!!! Ask liberal Juan Williams for starters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,937 posts, read 83,581,802 times
Reputation: 41745
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Well in all fairness it was some very extremist in the religion, ... kind of like the bigamy of the Mormons... they all don't practice the extreme.... but they still seem crazy to the rest of us...

What would the US do if we had 3 or 4 first ladies? now there is something to ponder!
I don't think you really know the Mormon church. bigamy is not part of the religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,426 posts, read 14,362,707 times
Reputation: 15856
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
The difference is that mainstream Catholics have denounced the IRA and their terrorist actions.

Muslims, even those born here in America, have yet to denounce the radical Islam and Islamic fundamentalism. It is impossible for a good Muslim to be a good American.
American muslims have denounced radical Islam over and over for the past 10 years. What rock have you been living under for the past decade?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:15 PM
 
Location: World
3,648 posts, read 3,518,281 times
Reputation: 2477
Ku Klux Klan members are christians right?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
For one thing,Mormons didn't fly planes into the WTC. The religion of peace did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2012, 06:17 PM
 
Location: World
3,648 posts, read 3,518,281 times
Reputation: 2477
What was the religion of Timothy Mcveigh????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
For one thing,Mormons didn't fly planes into the WTC. The religion of peace did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top