U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:01 PM

1,347 posts, read 920,571 times

Advertisements

If a good conservative candidate ran for president and was Muslim, I would have no reservations whatsoever about supporting him. I have lots of Muslim friends who are perfectly good, patriotic people. They would b a natural fit in the GOP if it weren't for the way we treated them. And in fact they were prior to 9/11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:05 PM

21,856 posts, read 21,976,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Why is it OK amongst Christian conservative voters for a candidate to be Mormon, but it's not OK for a candidate to be a Muslim? Is it because Mormonism originated here in the US?
Why is either one "worse" than the other? There is no religion in the world that has a monopoly on peace-loving, caring, decent human beings or on those of the other extreme?

Old 07-17-2012, 07:48 PM

6,111 posts, read 5,059,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
For one thing,Mormons didn't fly planes into the WTC. The religion of peace did.

You can't say that . In the 1850s Mormans from Brigham's Young's Mormon colony in what would become Utah massacred a group of American pioneers likely headed to Oregon or California who got too close at Mountain Meadows in Wyoming. Now I don't believe in collective guilt and don't hold Mormons responsible for this moment in American history. Now do you hold the Saudi Arabians or the Egyptians responsible for 9/11 since all of the hijackers came from either Saudi Arabia or Egypt.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:00 AM

32,234 posts, read 54,937,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
For one thing,Mormons didn't fly planes into the WTC. The religion of peace did.
+1

This is funny

Old 07-20-2012, 10:48 AM

7,946 posts, read 14,999,971 times
Quote:
Something I've been thinking about. Many Republicans I know will be voting for Romney in November, even though he is an acknowledged Mormon. These same people refused to vote for Obama because they believed he was a secret Muslim.

Why is it OK amongst Christian conservative voters for a candidate to be Mormon, but it's not OK for a candidate to be a Muslim? Is it because Mormonism originated here in the US?
Mormon hold many of the same values conservative Christians have, just like conservative Christians wouldn't have any problems voting for a Jew. Islam on the otherhand, when the Koran is strictly adhered to, is a very violent and intolerant religion, much moreso than Christianity. A good example is Christians don't advocate killing gays, only defending marriage as between a man and a woman. Islam calls for the death penalty for all gays, which is why that is what you see in Muslim countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia. Why liberals abhor the former but praise the latter in the name of diversity is beyond hypocrisy.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:55 AM

36,896 posts, read 45,346,199 times
1. Nobody didn't vote for Obama because they thought he was a Muslim. They didn't vote for him because he's an empty suit.
2. Because Mormons live virtuous lives with commonly accepted Judeo/Christian values, and Muslims blow up innocent people.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:01 AM

5,787 posts, read 3,962,393 times
Quote:
Something I've been thinking about. Many Republicans I know will be voting for Romney in November, even though he is an acknowledged Mormon. These same people refused to vote for Obama because they believed he was a secret Muslim.

I'm a conservative and an atheist...just for perspective.

I didn't vote for Obama because of his ideas and policies, not because of any religious reasons.

And, as far as I know, Jews, Mormons and Christians aren't flying planes into buildings and beheading anyone.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:17 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,557,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
I'm a conservative and an atheist...just for perspective.

I didn't vote for Obama because of his ideas and policies, not because of any religious reasons.

And, as far as I know, Jews, Mormons and Christians aren't flying planes into buildings and beheading anyone.
You're right, they've put most of that "rough stuff" behind them, and kinda like the Mafia, now they're trying to appear more "legit" and so they use "other" means!

Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 AM

51,604 posts, read 41,563,699 times
Quote:

Did you really just ask why a christian conservative would vote republican over a democrat?

When you are already wed to a parties ideology you can forgive or ignore things about your guys while hating those same things about the other parties guys. It's a back end justification.

Same exact reason all those faux-antiwar dems that hate Bush for his wars, guantanamo etc. give Obama a pass on the same exact things.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:43 PM

5,787 posts, read 3,962,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
You're right, they've put most of that "rough stuff" behind them, and kinda like the Mafia, now they're trying to appear more "legit" and so they use "other" means!

So you really equate what happened centuries ago with today? The only problem with that is that as you mentioned, Christians have moved into the 21st century while Muslims have regressed back to Medieval times.

And please...there really is no comparison with one sector of Christians (Catholics) being told they MUST violate their religious values.

As I said...I'm an atheist, but even I can see where the Catholic Church would be inflamed by Obama's totalitarian-style edict against them.

What's next on Obama's plan? Force the Amish to hand out condoms in their one room schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or