U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM

3,286 posts, read 5,436,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
What about him? He was neither a Muslim nor a Mormon, but was raised Catholic. Is he a friend of yours or something?
And when blew up that building he was indeed Catholic. So I believe it's unfair to talk negatively about any religion when infact they all have thier extremists.

But to stay on topic, Obama isn't Muslim yet everyone in thread is protecting Romney on being Mormon. If Romney were Christian and Obama were truly Muslim or even Mormon (are there even any Black Mormons?) for that matter, Obama would not get the protection you guys are giving for Romney. In fact, you guys would blast him for it most likely.

SN: what do you guys think about a atheist president? How would that play out in the inauguration?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:36 PM

8,040 posts, read 4,203,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
I am no fan of the Catholic Church but staunchly defend freedom of religion (and from religion) for ALL. JFK was not a Catholic Priest. There are many, many lovely people in all religions. I don't mind at all that private citizen Mitt Romney is a Mormon- more power to him if that's his heart felt belief and he seems like a decent man. BUT no High Priests for POTUS!
I read your position and you obviously failed to read what I said. All male Mormons become part of the clergy at age 12. High Priest, while very lofty sounding, is really just a natural step in progression that virtually all male Mormons take. High Priest does not make you the leader of anything. In a congregation of 200 you have roughly 25 high priests give or take a few. This is not a position of authority within their religion, the only thing it signifies is that the man involved is a member of the Mormon Church in good standing who happens to be over age 50 or so. I've heard it joked that the primary responsibility of High Priests is to fall asleep in the middle of church service. Clearly even I know way, way, way more about Mormonism than you do or you'd already know that fact. And you have no excuse, you can find this information just by looking it up online or by (GASP) asking a Mormon what a High Priest is.

Helps to have lived around them for several years. What is your excuse for jumping to such ridiculous conclusions when you are obviously completely ignorant of Mormonism? How do you NOT know what a High Priest in their faith actually is and then jump in acting like a subject matter expert?? What's worse, you assume you know what it is and then make incorrect assumptions on that basis.

If no member of the Mormon "clergy" can be POTUS then no male member of their church can ever be POTUS -- ever. They are all members of the clergy the way you are wording it.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:41 AM

21,964 posts, read 22,131,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
If Romney were Christian and Obama were truly Muslim or even Mormon (are there even any Black Mormons?) for that matter, Obama would not get the protection you guys are giving for Romney.
(1) Mormons are Christians. (2) There are many Black Mormons.

Quote:
SN: what do you guys think about a atheist president?
No problem to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or