U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Wisconsin
7,215 posts, read 7,867,702 times
Reputation: 7739

Advertisements

Something I've been thinking about. Many Republicans I know will be voting for Romney in November, even though he is an acknowledged Mormon. These same people refused to vote for Obama because they believed he was a secret Muslim.

Why is it OK amongst Christian conservative voters for a candidate to be Mormon, but it's not OK for a candidate to be a Muslim? Is it because Mormonism originated here in the US?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2012, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,578 posts, read 83,109,220 times
Reputation: 41426
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Something I've been thinking about. Many Republicans I know will be voting for Romney in November, even though he is an acknowledged Mormon. These same people refused to vote for Obama because they believed he was a secret Muslim.

Why is it OK amongst Christian conservative voters for a candidate to be Mormon, but it's not OK for a candidate to be a Muslim? Is it because Mormonism originated here in the US?
I don't know one person who would not vote for Obama beause he might be a Muslem. Those people wouldn't vote for him regardless and that goes for the other side as well.

I will tell you, though I certainly am not an expert on the Muslim religion, I do know enogh about it (which doens't take much) to know their overall thinking is "force everyone to believe their way" (the rdicals that is) I have never known a Mormon to force their religion down anyone's throat. Yes, they do have ideas many of us have trouble with, yes, they can even be cliquee (spelling) and they do love to go door to door, which does drive some of us nuts, but they are also very peaceful people.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM
 
16,438 posts, read 19,063,411 times
Reputation: 9512
In God's eyes there is no difference. They are both equally lost.

Last edited by Bideshi; 07-16-2012 at 08:43 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,381 posts, read 52,306,881 times
Reputation: 70329
I don't understand what religion has to do with being president.

You'd have to be a real backwater hick to care about that when there are so many more important issues to consider in choosing the prez.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,853 posts, read 21,950,679 times
Reputation: 10607
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't understand what religion has to do with being president.

You'd have to be a real backwater hick to care about that when there are so many more important issues to consider in choosing the prez.
Obviously, there are millions of backwater hicks who will be voting this November. Sad but true.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 08:54 AM
 
1,642 posts, read 1,350,552 times
Reputation: 706
For one thing,Mormons didn't fly planes into the WTC. The religion of peace did.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Sco
 
4,259 posts, read 4,221,128 times
Reputation: 3358
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I don't understand what religion has to do with being president.

You'd have to be a real backwater hick to care about that when there are so many more important issues to consider in choosing the prez.
I disagree completely. I think religion can be a very important criteria when judging a person's overall fitness for any public office.

I find the fact that Mitt Romney actually believes that when he dies he will be transformed into a god living near Planet Kolob to be very scary. IMO, there is a fine line between religious belief and mental illness. Mormon theology clearly crosses that line with imaginary planets, magic translating stones, pre-Colombian Jews in North America, gold plates buried in New York that can only be read by a pedophile con man, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Apple Valley Calif
7,475 posts, read 20,124,235 times
Reputation: 5602
Muslims goal is to kill all who aren't Muslims. Mormons want everyone to go to church..!
obama being a corrupt, lying Muslim isn't the reason people will vote him out in November, It's because his policies are terrible, he is a terrible, failed president, and he supports communism...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Texas
43,381 posts, read 52,306,881 times
Reputation: 70329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I disagree completely. I think religion can be a very important criteria when judging a person's overall fitness for any public office.

I find the fact that Mitt Romney actually believes that when he dies he will be transformed into a god living near Planet Kolob to be very scary. IMO, there is a fine line between religious belief and mental illness. Mormon theology clearly crosses that line with imaginary planets, magic translating stones, pre-Colombian Jews in North America, gold plates buried in New York that can only be read by a pedophile con man, etc.
The fact that christians believe what they do is equally as ridiculous and appalling to most of the world's population.
Are you serious with this comment or have you just never read the bible? It's a joke.


But we vote those weirdos with the outrageous beliefs into office every day.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Montgomery County, MD
3,241 posts, read 3,269,199 times
Reputation: 3010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Blue View Post
For one thing,Mormons didn't fly planes into the WTC. The religion of peace did.
The Irish Republican Army are Christian and bombed buildings so renounce Christianity like a decent human being.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top