U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 06:12 AM

8,151 posts, read 5,613,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Romney: Releasing past tax returns would give Obama more to

This strikes me as decidedly idiotic advice from the hamsters that are seemingly running this man's campaign - unless there is really something to hide. If there is nothing to hide in his tax returns, then only "ammo" he would provide Obama would be a set of clean tax returns. Why wouldn't he WANT to release them and take the wind out of his opponent's sails? Wouldn't doing that HURT Obama more than anyone else? Wouldn't doing so work to Romney's advantage? Doesn't continued refusal provide EXACTLY the kind of ammo that Obama and his cohorts want to use against him?

Romney is under no legal obligation, but Presidential candidates - both Democrat and Republican - have a long history of releasing substantial documents on their tax histories. The fact that he's so interested in not releasing his makes me increasingly curious as to what he's trying to keep under wraps.

If you want to be a completely private citizen who keeps all this stuff out of the public eye, then don't run for public office.
Anyone that can vote for this man who is hiding something is................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 06:13 AM

8,151 posts, read 5,613,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
There is no legal reason to give more and the problem is that people would not be able to comprehend tax returns that might have a hundred or more pages due to businesses.
This is a fishing expedition by Obama's camp who would then use anything true or false to dirty up Romney.

I would not do it and would suggest instead Obama release his college and birth records for actual inspection.
Obama's own lawyer the other day said the long form birth certificate was not authentic, so there are crazy issues still out there.
I hope with all my heart that romney takes every bit of your advise

Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 AM

5,037 posts, read 4,362,303 times
More ammo meaning what? More class warfare? Instead of an election about ideas and views and your record, Obama wants it to be about everything else, especially class warfare. Obama's rich, off of one book someone else probably wrote for him. Romney has done far more to earn his wealth, yet Obama and the left cant waste an opportunity to attack him because of the money he has.

Its none of your damn business how wealthy he is. Stop this petty crap and debate the economy (oops, nope cant talk about our bad economy).

Old 07-18-2012, 07:16 AM

21,673 posts, read 11,135,668 times
Tax returns.. big whoop.. we know Romney is rich.. How about the WH releasing the papers on FAST AND FURIOUS?? A border agent was killed and many mexicans slaughtered with 2000 guns walked under Fast and Furious that were not traced.

What about the leaks of the highly classified material from the White House? Security breach that makes individuals targets. Obama is one who needs to give the people information. We have one unqualified president in the White House.

Now I want those answers. Obama is asking for tax returns and hides what really counts.. Obama is a loser.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 AM

4,189 posts, read 4,401,397 times
Tax returns? Who cares...we are in a massive economic mess and Obama is worried about tax returns?....goes to show his efforts to hide his failed economic programs...can't the MSM just do something for the American people instead of bowing to Obama and his Chicago thugs?

Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 AM

36,978 posts, read 16,123,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
This is just a circus. Romney supporters argue that if Romney gives in and provides his tax returns pre-2010, then Obama should cave in and fork over his college transcripts for Occidental, Columbia and Harvard. After all, fair is fair.

Personally I don't hink Romney is guilty of anything as far as fraud. Common sense tells us that the IRS would have launched an investigation if someone with that much access to the money that he has if there was a misappropriate of funds. Thus far, no offcial from the IRS, let alone the FBI has stepped up and said anything, therefore I just take this more as dodgeball politics.
What is really funny, is that the financial statements that have to be filed when you run for President is more info then tax returns.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:25 AM

22,897 posts, read 16,285,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
In other words, McCain look at Romney - with a "spotlessly clean" fiscal past - and still found he was a worse candidate for office than Sarah Palin. I think that falls under the heading of "Thanks, but you're not helping".
Pretty funny, if you ask me.
Seems that even with all of the baggage La Palin was toting, Mr. Romney's may have been heavier.

What I really don't understand though, is if he could give them to the McCain camp, why not release them now? Did he really believe that he was going to get a pass on this?
And, to all those who are calling for the president to release his transcripts, etc. what does one have to do with the other?

Old 07-18-2012, 10:29 AM

22,897 posts, read 16,285,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
We still have threads to this day picking through Obama's hospital records, and even after all the birth certificate info was released, people are still swearing that they're a forgery, blah blah.

If that's fair game, this should be fair game.

You can attack Obama on his record, the economy, and on all the details of his life. That's fair. But it's also only fair that Romney get the same treatment and withstand similar scrutiny.

Isn't that the way the best horse is picked? You put all the evidence and criticism out there, and see who withstands them the best? And if it's Obama, then Obama will be President; if it's Romney, then will be President. Simple.

Yet suddenly, I see a lot of people who all but want every detail of Obama's colonoscopy records, but - GASP - how DARE you touch poor Mitt! He can't handle it if you give Obama any "ammo!" Please. The man had better toughen up.
^^This exactly.

"Elect me just because" really isn't going to cut it.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:58 PM

33,070 posts, read 13,956,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
More ammo meaning what? More class warfare? Instead of an election about ideas and views and your record, Obama wants it to be about everything else, especially class warfare. Obama's rich, off of one book someone else probably wrote for him. Romney has done far more to earn his wealth, yet Obama and the left cant waste an opportunity to attack him because of the money he has.

Its none of your damn business how wealthy he is. Stop this petty crap and debate the economy (oops, nope cant talk about our bad economy).
Like Warren Buffet indicated, class warfare is over the rich have already won.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:18 PM
Status: "Crooked Trump accused of rape and nobody cares." (set 11 days ago)

8,141 posts, read 5,823,006 times
I read somewhere that John Kerry released 20 years of his tax returns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or