U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:12 PM

81 posts, read 100,751 times

Advertisements

Enough said! Let's get America back on the road to prosperity!

Sorry Obama, you got your 4 years. It's time to turn the country over to someone that knows what made America the greatest nation on earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 07:16 PM

16,834 posts, read 9,142,946 times
I can't help but think a bit that Republicans are taking his poorly phrased comment a bit out of context, just like Democrats take every poorly phrased comment from Romney out of context.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:18 PM

3,326 posts, read 7,759,289 times
In Obama's world, everyon's work ethic is the same. Everyone's skill and education level are the same. Everyone's motivational level is the same. Some are visited by business-starting fairies while others aren't.

Or perhaps he's rehashing that silly speech last year where some other politician was trying to con people into thinking conservatives are anti-infrastructure.
Either way, he's scraping the barrel at this point. It will be interesting to see if this blatant, hard left turn resonates with anybody.

Last edited by northbound74; 07-17-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Old 07-17-2012, 07:34 PM

10,986 posts, read 6,131,811 times
And now for what he actually said:

"Look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something – there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business. you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. [...]

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the GI Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for president – because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.”

Did Obama Say, ‘If You’ve Got a Business, You Didn’t Build That’? - ABC News

Old 07-17-2012, 07:35 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,674,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitz99clem View Post
Enough said! Let's get America back on the road to prosperity!

Sorry Obama, you got your 4 years. It's time to turn the country over to someone that knows what made America the greatest nation on earth.
I don't know about that. Romney and the Republicans aren't exactly friendly to immigrants.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And now for what he actually said:

"Look, if youíve been successful, you didnít get there on your own. You didnít get there on your own. Iím always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something Ė there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If youíve got a business. you didnít build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didnít get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet. The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. [...]

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. Thatís how we funded the GI Bill. Thatís how we created the middle class. Thatís how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. Thatís how we invented the Internet. Thatís how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and thatís the reason Iím running for president Ė because I still believe in that idea. Youíre not on your own, weíre in this together.Ē

Did Obama Say, ĎIf Youíve Got a Business, You Didnít Build Thatí? - ABC News
The first paragraph would be the class warfare. It's just not fair that I'm smart and a hard worker, yet haven't been showered with cash.
Then there is the line I highlighted. What does it mean? A slip of the tongue?
We all know we are useless and helpless and insignificant without gubment.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I don't know about that. Romney and the Republicans aren't exactly friendly to immigrants.
And dems just do everything possible to shamelessly buy their votes.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,859,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
In Obama's world, everyon's work ethic is the same. Everyone's skill and education level are the same. Everyone's motivational level is the same. Some are visited by business-starting fairies while others aren't.

Or perhaps he's rehashing that silly speech last year where some other politician was trying to con people into thinking conservatives are anti-infrastructure.
Either way, he's scraping the barrel at this point. It will be interesting to see if this blatant, hard left turn resonates with anybody.
Oh come of it, confederates are anti infrastructure for anyone but their own backyard. Then it's ok for Bachman to go with the priciest plan and screw everyone else. Then it's quite alright to procure an ice rink for eskimos using congressional purse. They build nothing. They create nothing. They solve nothing. They hoard. They suck up. Work ethic? Don't make me laugh!!! They change the rules of business to accommodate the only way they know how to make a living. Namely, devaluing everyone and everything around them so they can feel taller in their small pond. Crime syndicates. One Enron after another after another. Every state that right to work touched turned to sh*t. Every red state in America has failed to thrive, and blue states didn't do it to them. They did it to themselves and made careers blaming everyone else.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:57 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,859,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
They're friendly to immigrants when slave labor can be exploited undercutting american wages, but the minute they want to become citizens, to hell with them. The land of opportunity to be duped, and when they're done killing you off, onto the next victim.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:01 PM

29,370 posts, read 39,828,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
I can't help but think a bit that Republicans are taking his poorly phrased comment a bit out of context, just like Democrats take every poorly phrased comment from Romney out of context.
Yep. Gotta watch those dangling unattached pronouns. Less than honorable people will try to change the meaning of your words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or