U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 07:46 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,560,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Who says Independents have no belief of their own? It just means they are more flexible.

As to 30 second ads, who told you independents easily get swayed by them? Being independent just means you make a decision based on many factors, and that you are not dogmatic followers of either party. It's the exact opposite of allowing your vote to go with the wind, as you say.

Why do you think everyone should know who they are voting for by now? There still months to go before election day, in which many relevant and important issues might emerge. So do you think someone should make a decision now and stick with it till election day regardless of what happens in between?

Sorry, but to me you appear clueless.
Yes, government would be so much simpler if we did away with all those pesky elections, and just had Royals instead...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:55 PM

5,532 posts, read 5,953,481 times
I am independent. Don't like both parties and their gutter politics. In the past, we knew when elections were near. Today, there is constant, non stop campaigning for 4 years. It seems like Romney is campaigning since he was born. I don't think neither Obama nor Romney are capable of dealing with the current situation.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:14 PM

304 posts, read 353,267 times
I consider myself an Independent because I'm socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I'm not happy with either the Democrats or the Republicans. I voted Democrat once, the rest of the time it has been Republican...but I am sick to death of the candidates the Republicans have put forth in the recent past, and definitely not with the Democratic candidates. Maybe I more closely relate to Libertarians, but I don't believe in open borders so I don't really belong in that group either.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:09 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,256,822 times
As an Independent, I am sick and tired of the Democrats and Republicans seemingly having the answers for all of our problems, yet when they get in office, it's the same old bull jive. I am concerned about the economy, the crazy deficit spending, the fact that people are out of work, and the fact that both parties would rather see this country sink into the ocean before working out differences to help this country swim.

The democrats want to increase taxes to balance the budget, while the republicans want to cut taxes to balance the budget. Now who is right? Both can't be, yet both spend, both increase our deficit, and both don't see eye to eye on how true spending cuts should be legislated.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:59 AM

11,535 posts, read 8,760,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Independents are a big part of who wins an election. My problem with them is this: How can you seriously not know who you're going to vote for in an election that is down to two different people? Two different sides of the coin....

Seems Independents may be the ones who get swayed by ads on tv. Why? They are 30 second spots that dont have to prove anything, just throw mud. If you are so easily swayed by an ad, how bright can you really be?

Do Independents not have any beliefs or views of their own? If you did, then you should know who you're voting for by now and not have your vote change with the wind direction. If you dont have something you believe in, then find it, and stand by it.

The whole notion of being Independent may sound good at first, it is nice to not have a Left vs Right battle, but its a problem when it seems you almost "dont care" and let your vote just go with the wind, latest trend, latest ads, etc.

Sorry, I dont think it came out like I hoped. I feel like I couldve made better points. Today was a wake up late day for me, just now drinking coffee fresh out of bed and this thought about Independents came to me. If you can expound, please do. Many of you can lay it out better than I can, even if I were more awake.
You are confusing independents with undecided. You can be independent and already decide who you are supporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or