U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:17 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,211 posts, read 3,108,932 times
Reputation: 2531

Advertisements


Stage - YouTube

I don't really care about political ads, but even I feel for Romney after this one...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:26 AM
 
9,312 posts, read 5,589,565 times
Reputation: 4632
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I don't really care about political ads, but even I feel for Romney after this one...
America, meet the real Gordon Gekko. Expect to see a lot more of these testimonials in the coming weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Area 51.5
13,904 posts, read 11,015,949 times
Reputation: 9036
Without naming the company, it's just blowing smoke.

If you believe every ad you see on TV, I'm extremely sorry for you.

Every ad like this one should name the company, give dates, and name the (paid) actor.

And Pepsodent toothpaste makes your teeth whiter, too.

You do know, do you not, that many, many ads are ultimately refuted or proven to be half truths.

That said, this ad may be 100% true. But without proof, it's useless except to mindless ad watchers.

Since OBoy never held a job in his life, it will be near impossible to find people to spew ads about him like this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,211 posts, read 3,108,932 times
Reputation: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
America, meet the real Gordon Gekko. Expect to see a lot more of these testimonials in the coming weeks.
Lol... the only way it could have been worse is if Romney gathered all those guys, had them make a human pyramid, and climbed on top to fire them.

Then... he gets airlifted off by his private helicopter right before the pyramid collapses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:34 AM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,278,836 times
Reputation: 5906
Wow... this the human side we really need to see!!

Now cue the empathy-challenged sociopaths and their dueling "fact checks"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
6,211 posts, read 3,108,932 times
Reputation: 2531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Without naming the company, it's just blowing smoke.

If you believe every ad you see on TV, I'm extremely sorry for you.

Every ad like this one should name the company, give dates, and name the (paid) actor.

And Pepsodent toothpaste makes your teeth whiter, too.

You do know, do you not, that many, many ads are ultimately refuted or proven to be half truths.

That said, this ad may be 100% true. But without proof, it's useless except to mindless ad watchers.

Since OBoy never held a job in his life, it will be near impossible to find people to spew ads about him like this one.
Ampad | Romney Economics

I know... complain about the source, not facts. Here are the details you wanted. If you want to dispute it, disprove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 AM
 
5,787 posts, read 3,837,639 times
Reputation: 849
Obama is running another one similar to this involving a steelworker.

Guess what? That same steelworker featured in the ad says he WON'T Vote for Obama.

Perhaps as part of Romney's corporate he MAY have outsourced some jobs.

But AT LEAST he did it with their OWN MONEY.

Obama has outsourced American jobs with TAXPAYER'S MONEY.

Which is worse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
19,383 posts, read 13,050,331 times
Reputation: 14092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Without naming the company, it's just blowing smoke.

If you believe every ad you see on TV, I'm extremely sorry for you.

Every ad like this one should name the company, give dates, and name the (paid) actor.

And Pepsodent toothpaste makes your teeth whiter, too.

You do know, do you not, that many, many ads are ultimately refuted or proven to be half truths.

That said, this ad may be 100% true. But without proof, it's useless except to mindless ad watchers.

Since OBoy never held a job in his life, it will be near impossible to find people to spew ads about him like this one.
If you believe that guy was acting, you are out of touch with reality.

And if you believe that the paper company never existed, you are doubly out of touch.

Why was the company not named? Because the creators want folks to look it up on the net, of course! That kind of engagement makes the ad's message stick in the minds of everyone who does!

The more it is discussed, the longer the message lasts, and the greater impression it leaves. It just took me less than 5 seconds to learn the name of the company, when Bain bought it, and when it was closed. All I had to do was google "Bain's paper company buyout". Time yourself and see how long it takes. it won't take long- just read the top hit on the list.

Welcome to the 21st Century, Dale. You're still a little slow on the uptick, but you'll figure it out in time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:02 AM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,278,836 times
Reputation: 5906
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Obama is running another one similar to this involving a steelworker.

Guess what? That same steelworker featured in the ad says he WON'T Vote for Obama.


Perhaps as part of Romney's corporate he MAY have outsourced some jobs.

But AT LEAST he did it with their OWN MONEY.

Obama has outsourced American jobs with TAXPAYER'S MONEY.

Which is worse?
Here's the ad, and BTW, you forget to mention that Donnie Box doesnt say that he'll be voting for Romney either, only that he's fed up with all politicians! And that Box still insists, "there is no doubt in my mind when he (Romney) came in with Bain Capital, he was the President and CEO of that corporation."


Donnie - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2012, 11:04 AM
 
5,787 posts, read 3,837,639 times
Reputation: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If you believe that guy was acting, you are out of touch with reality.

And if you believe that the paper company never existed, you are doubly out of touch.

Why was the company not named? Because the creators want folks to look it up on the net, of course! That kind of engagement makes the ad's message stick in the minds of everyone who does!

The more it is discussed, the longer the message lasts, and the greater impression it leaves. It just took me less than 5 seconds to learn the name of the company, when Bain bought it, and when it was closed. All I had to do was google "Bain's paper company buyout". Time yourself and see how long it takes. it won't take long- just read the top hit on the list.

Welcome to the 21st Century, Dale. You're still a little slow on the uptick, but you'll figure it out in time.

...and NOW for the FACTS:


Growth, acquisition, bankruptcy and reorganization

Known as the Ampad Holding Corporation, the company was purchased in 1986 by the Mead Corporation. In 1992, the newly formed holding company American Pad & Paper and Bain Capital purchased the subsidiary from Mead. Upon its formation, American Pad & Paper consolidated its 13 manufacturing and distribution facilities into six in 21 locations in the US. At the time, the company had more than 3,700,000 square feet (340,000 m2) of production and warehouse space in California, Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wisconsin.[4]


The company continued to enjoy 53 percent compound annual growth in net sales, which increased from $8.8 million in 1992 to $200.5 million in 1996, when the company became publicly traded. The company made a number of acquisitions, including writing products company SCM in July 1994, brand names from the American Trading and Production Corporation in August 1995, WR Acquisition and the Williamhouse-Regency Division of Delaware, Inc. in October, 1995, Niagara Envelope Company, Inc. in 1996, and Shade/Allied, Inc. in February 1997.[4]


On January 8, 1999, unable to sustain profitability, the company announced it would be delisted from the New York Stock Exchange.[5] After filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, Ampad was acquired in 2003 by an affiliate of Crescent Capital Investments, later renamed Arcapita.[6] Ampad's current president and CEO, Donald Meltzer, joined the company in August 2005, having formerly served as Vice President and General Manager of the Roofing Systems Group at Johns-Manville, and before that as the Executive Vice President and COO of Clore Automotive.[7]


On June 8, 2010 Ampad was acquired by Esselte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top