Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 AM

1,635 posts, read 1,590,889 times

Advertisements

Many of the hispanic people in New Mexico have ancestors who have been there since the 1700s. Especially in northern New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 02:15 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,447,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Some interesting things from this poll:

1) If Governor Martinez is on the ticket (not that I think she will be), the race is statistically tied in NM.

2) Gary Johnson actually helps Romney in NM.

3) Obama's approval is only 48% in NM.

4) More New Mexicans oppose than support Obama's move to stop deporting young illegals who attend college or serve in the military.

And this is PPP - a pollster that has been far more favorable to Obama/Democrats than most others this cycle. And, when you look at the internals in this poll, they seem to have oversampled Democrats and oversampled Hispanics.
I doubt she will be on the ticket either, but even if she campaigns for Romney it will help. She is a popular governor...

Old 07-19-2012, 09:35 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,430,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
4) More New Mexicans oppose than support Obama's move to stop deporting young illegals who attend college or serve in the military.
I guess I should correct this. I was thinking about the DREAM Act and which illegals would be eligible for amnesty under it and got the two confused. The Obama policy was actually to defer deportation and issue work permits to young illegals who simply have graduated from high school or gotten GED's or are in school (I would presume this would mean those in high school...since those in college would have already gotten HS diplomas or at the very least GED's), in addition to those who serve in the military.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I doubt she will be on the ticket either, but even if she campaigns for Romney it will help. She is a popular governor...
I looked at the crosstabs of the poll and it seems that she would help Romney slightly with Hispanics specifically. I wonder if she would help with Hispanic voters in Nevada and Colorado as well. Perhaps she would be a good running mate for Romney. I would be afraid she might become the next Palin, but Governor Martinez has a law degree and served as a DA. She is not stupid by any means, though she probably isn't ready for national politics.

Even though she would help with Hispanics slightly, she would help a lot more with those who are neither white nor Hispanic. I suppose that, in NM, this would be primarily Native Americans. That's interesting.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
New Mexico isn't solidly liberal I believe Bush won both states. However the media has had New Mexico in Obama's tally for awhile and he still may end up winning. However this poll out of the many that have come out is probably causing some angst in Chicago.

Obama's entire reelection campaign strategy is to win the swing states out West ( New Mexico, Colorado and Nevada) and hold on to the reliably Democrat states on the coasts to counter the defecting whites in the Midwest. If the race in New Mexico, the nation's most Hispanic state, is tightening it calls into questions the assumptions that the pundits are making about Colorado and Nevada, which are less Hispanic and in the case of Nevada heavily Mormon.

Dire days in camp Obama which shows in the silly charges they are leveling against Romney.
W won New Mexico in 2004, but not in 2000. Gore won it by less than 400 votes in 2000.

Not too many pundits think that Colorado is safe for Obama, but many do seem to think Nevada is at least close to safe for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections