Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 11:09 AM

5,787 posts, read 4,715,925 times

Advertisements

According to the New York Times, the president appears to be lying in the process of accusing the Romney campaign of lying. It will be interesting to see if media fact checkers attempt to spin this statement.

If you want a near perfect encapsulation of how the Obama campaign is leaning on incompetent partisans masquerading as "independent" media fact checking organizations to do their dirty work, I strongly encourage you to read today's article in the New York Times, "Obama Team Sharpens Attacks on Rivals’ Character." While the article is a far too credulous regarding the fact checker response to Paul Ryan's speech, it does contain this gem:

Quote:
“Sometimes they just make things up. But they’ve got a bunch of folks who can write $10 million checks, and they’ll just keep on running them,” he said. “I mean, somebody was challenging one of their ads — they made it up — about work and welfare. And every outlet said this is just not true. And they were asked about it and they said — one of their campaign people said, ‘We won’t have the fact-checkers dictate our campaign. We will not let the truth get in the way.’”

Mr. Obama was referring, as many other critics of the Romney campaign have, to a comment that its pollster, Neil Newhouse, made to reporters at the Republican convention on Tuesday, dismissive of those faulting the campaign’s television ads. What Mr. Newhouse actually said was, “These fact-checkers come to those ads with their own sets of thoughts and beliefs. We’re not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers.”

Mr. Newhouse did not say, “We will not let the truth get in the way.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 11:20 AM

10,908 posts, read 9,555,443 times
Standard Obama operating procedure.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
I see we've already bought our ticket for the crazy train today...

Old 09-02-2012, 11:22 AM

It looks to me like it's Obama who won't let the truth get in his way.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I see we've already bought our ticket for the crazy train today...

So the FACT that Obama blatantly lied outright about what the man said and the NYT reports that is somehow "crazy"?

I'd love to hear your explanation and excuses for Obama's lie.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:25 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
And you leftist Lemurs....are falling right in-line to go over the cliff in November....

Old 09-02-2012, 11:26 AM

313 posts, read 324,719 times
Whats new? He has always used the Jedi mind tricks.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
So the FACT that Obama blatantly lied outright about what the man said and the NYT reports that is somehow "crazy"?

I'd love to hear your explanation and excuses for Obama's lie.
Somehow I highly doubt that, but have you ever thought that in a normal conversation, people quote others, and then paraphrase what they said in the next sentence? What do you think Newsome was saying when he stated that they won't have fact checkers dictating their campaign? A reasonable person would interpret that to mean that "they won't let truth (facts) get in the way"--BECAUSE they're not going worry about whether their campaign statements are factual.

As for the rest--you win an award today! This post wins the cake! First you claim that the fact checking groups and the media are all spinning for Obama (they're lying about Ryan lying!) even though the information is easy for anyone to verify, and then you claim Obama lied because he repeated what Newsome said and then added a sentence paraphrasing it at the end. I know you're trying hard, but I can't imagine that the Obama folks are going to feel too threatened by that one, especially since Ryan's told so many very easy to verify bald faced whoppers this past week that it's hard to keep track of them all.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:57 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,256,191 times
Both sources the OP provided are links to The Weekly Standard, not the NYT. I prefer reading an article in its entirety, not just a clip. Link to NYT please.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Obama claimed he was making a direct quote:

one of their campaign people said, ‘We won’t have the fact-checkers dictate our campaign. We will not let the truth get in the way.’”

The TRUTH is that he said:

“These fact-checkers come to those ads with their own sets of thoughts and beliefs. We’re not going to let our campaign be dictated by fact-checkers.”
You can dishonestly attempt to nuance and parse things, but the TRUTH is that he blatantly lied about what the man actually said. And, you are putting words in his mouth when you make claims about what that meant.

Saying your campaign won't be dicated by fact-checkers is a very long way from saying they won't allow truth to get in their way.

Obama outright LIED and YOU are the one not allowing that FACT to get in your way of admitting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections