U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:52 PM
 
11,535 posts, read 8,768,808 times
Reputation: 3580

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And people spend decades building up businesses, only to be told by Obama they didnt do it.
Anyone who has an attention span longer than a cat would have listened to the full speech, which was like 2 minutes long.


He said they didn't build it by themselves, they had teachers, parents, mentors, friends, etc... who helped them succeed.

You gonna argue with that? Of course you are, because Obama said it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,403,704 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Anyone who has an attention span longer than a cat would have listened to the full speech, which was like 2 minutes long.

He said they didn't build it by themselves, they had teachers, parents, mentors, friends, etc... who helped them succeed.

You gonna argue with that? Of course you are, because Obama said it.
Of course I am because its flat out wrong. Teachers dont help build BUSINESSES, many parents of entrepreneurs and friends CRITICIZE business owners for attempting to try.

I couldnt tell you the number of people I know that told me to go get a job, and stop trying to create a business.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-23-2012 at 05:30 AM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,308 posts, read 14,293,987 times
Reputation: 15790
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Of course I am because its flat out wrong. Teachers dont help build BUSINESSES, many parents of entrepreneurs and friends CRITICIZE business owners for attempting to try.

I couldnt tell you the number of people I know that told me to go get a job, and stop trying to create a business.
Who inspired you, pg? Of course teachers help businesses. They are the ones who teach the American Dream. Equating teachers with those who don't want a beginning entrepreneur to go out on his own is mud headed thinking. Teachers are ones who give the very first lessons that anything is possible in America. Every business from Cargill to a shoe shine stand met opposition from someone in the beginning.

And I have a damned clue... I have started 2 businesses, and I'm still active in the second. Do you think you are the only small business person here? Not so, pg. Get over yourself. You sliced and diced a speech that said something else entirely. Big fail.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-23-2012 at 05:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:21 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,403,704 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Who inspired you, pg? Of course teachers help businesses. They are the ones who teach the American Dream. Equating teachers with those who don't want a beginning entrepreneur to go out on his own is mud headed thinking. Teachers are ones who give the very first lessons that anything is possible in America. Every business from Cargill to a shoe shine stand met opposition from someone in the beginning.
Oh bull crap. Teachers dont run around teaching the american dream, they teach math, science, etc.. its up to YOU to put those skills to use. You can choose to by going to work for someone else, or by starting your own business. GOVERNMENT doesnt inspire you to make your choice.

Who inspired me are other entrepreneurs, who I wawatched build and work hard everyday, and be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor. And the more everyone else told me I couldnt succeed, the harder I worked to make it happen. GOVERNMENT, didnt come in and manage things, or tell me what to do, nor are they responsible for my succees, and you insult every entrepreneur when you say otherwise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
And I have a damned clue... I have started 2 businesses, and I'm still active in the second. Do you think you are the only small business person here? Not so, pg. Get over yourself. You sliced and diced a speech that said something else entirely. Big fail.
And you continue the garbage, because there wasnt a dam thing Obama said in the rest of the speech that changed the intent of his sentences. You can sit here and pretend that he doesnt believe what he says, but your ability to buy into his bs isnt my concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:35 PM
 
Location: Orlando
8,233 posts, read 11,255,704 times
Reputation: 4064
What a lame thread.

I'm sure the OP can get an image of the prize, take a photo copy of it and hang it on your wall. no one could really give a rats a$$. If you have a problem with him getting the prize perhaps you need to address it to the Nobel committee... after all the President had nothing to do with the selection process...nor even the nomination process... why blame him for that?

If you notice he did pull out of Iraq... a war he did not start. He has the plans for withdrawal in a year for Afghanistan...again not a war he started. He kept us out of Libya, They are working to get resolution for both Iran and Syria. So what exactly is the complaint. I see bad information spouted, then accepted as fact and nothing valid in this thread.

Bottom Line you don't like Obama.... The real bottom line is that no Repug has done anything good for the country or the economy and yet you like them... that makes no sense... kind of like this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 PM
 
2,548 posts, read 1,858,801 times
Reputation: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Of course I am because its flat out wrong. Teachers dont help build BUSINESSES, many parents of entrepreneurs and friends CRITICIZE business owners for attempting to try, and if you had a dam clue about what it was like to run a business, and not drolling to defend the stupid things Obama says, you wouldnt be embarassing yourself so often.

I couldnt tell you the number of people I know that told me to go get a job, and stop trying to create a business.
No person is 100% self made, not Bill Gates or Mr. Zuckenberg. Everyone has had someone in their life who either motivated them or taught them a skill that helped them get where they are at. If you are really as sucessful in business as you lead us to believe,, you wouldn't be spending countless hours on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 09:01 PM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,403,704 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
No person is 100% self made, not Bill Gates or Mr. Zuckenberg. Everyone has had someone in their life who either motivated them or taught them a skill that helped them get where they are at. If your business was as sucessful as you make it seem, you wouldn't be spending countless hours on this forum.
Actually I'm able to spend countless hours on this forum because I'm rather successful and created a company that self runs and allows me the time off, as if it changes anything. Who said Gates, or Zuckenberg made it on their own, thats not the question, the question is, IS GOVERNMENT to credit for their success? I guess when you need to defend stupid statements, you can always move the goalpost.

When my first several businesses failed, one of them to the point that I became homeless, was it governments fault? I didnt blame government then, so why the hell would I credit them now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 05:35 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,308 posts, read 14,293,987 times
Reputation: 15790
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Oh bull crap. Teachers dont run around teaching the american dream, they teach math, science, etc.. its up to YOU to put those skills to use. You can choose to by going to work for someone else, or by starting your own business. GOVERNMENT doesnt inspire you to make your choice.

Who inspired me are other entrepreneurs, who I wawatched build and work hard everyday, and be able to enjoy the fruits of their labor. And the more everyone else told me I couldnt succeed, the harder I worked to make it happen. GOVERNMENT, didnt come in and manage things, or tell me what to do, nor are they responsible for my succees, and you insult every entrepreneur when you say otherwise.

And you continue the garbage, because there wasnt a dam thing Obama said in the rest of the speech that changed the intent of his sentences. You can sit here and pretend that he doesnt believe what he says, but your ability to buy into his bs isnt my concern.
I'm deeply sorry your education was such a devastated intellectual wasteland.
My Great Grandfather had a saying for folks like you:
What you don't have in your head, you had better have in your feet.

The next time you look in a mirror, your are looking at your government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,403,704 times
Reputation: 9358
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I'm deeply sorry your education was such a devastated intellectual wasteland.
My Great Grandfather had a saying for folks like you:
What you don't have in your head, you had better have in your feet.
Education cant teach you to have a passion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The next time you look in a mirror, your are looking at your government.
Where the hell did you ever learn that people exist because of government?

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-23-2012 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: rude
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2012, 09:17 AM
 
69,372 posts, read 55,403,704 times
Reputation: 9358

You Didn't Build That! - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:44 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top