Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 06:34 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Of course he's not saying that. He's saying that we Americans are great when we pull together; that when we help each other we can accomplish so much more than when we don't, and that yes, the government has a role in that. I'm not sure why that concept is so threatening to conservatives. All I can figure is that you guys must really hate your fellow Americans.
i don't see any "pulling together", and i certainly don't like seeing my fellow americans struggling financially and being driven to poverty. where do you think all the money has gone, seriously? how do you think that america is going to be able to "grow" its way out of this kind of debt level? he has shown NO RESPECT to the american people and their concerns about our rising debt level, big government, and their increasing loss of personal freedom. what about that round of debt monetization/money printing, and PURPOSELY degrading our currency-a slap in the face to working americans.

he not only stole and degraded our money, but some other countries seem to be missing their money also.

americans are great when they pull together- but they need a leader who understands the importance of jobs and the importance of punishing criminal behavior (whether it is wall street or main street)-- and the necessity of making it easier for the start up small businesses that are the engine of the economy.

another thing you might want to read is the level of bureaucracy being imposed on the private sector. it keeps getting worse, and people wonder why GM needed that bailout? : (which was not much of a bailout as i already previously reported here on how many of those jobs are intended to go overseas in the not so distant future)

here's the red tape link:
http://www.heritage.org/research/rep...new-regulation

here's the GM jobs leaving link:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050704336.html

It's an almost impossible dilemma," said former labor secretary Robert B. Reich, now a professor at the University of California-Berkeley. "GM is a global company -- so for that matter is AIG and the biggest Wall Street banks. That means that bailing them out doesn't necessarily redound to the benefit of the U.S. or American workers.

"More significantly, it raises fundamental questions about the purpose of bailing out these big companies. If GM is going to do more of its production overseas, then why exactly are we saving GM?"

one more thing, do you think a president who cared about struggling americans would have had all those perfectly good used cars destroyed? how do you think that is going to impact the budget of the average american in the future, especially one who can't buy a new car? (is that part of "pulling together?")

i certainly thought bush was bad for the country, and obama seems to be worse-- so i post because i care about the future of america.

Last edited by floridasandy; 07-22-2012 at 07:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 06:54 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
It doesn't matter what Obama meant. He still has yet to show an ounce of leadership skills. Whining about the opposition while hurling childish insults behind their back isn't leadership.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
What's really frightening is that the DUH! belongs to you and you don't even see it. Yes, he is saying that when we all work together on things that are of benefit to all of us--like funding research for innovation--we can create awesome things like the Internet. See how that works? We fund things that improve the quality of life for all Americans and we all end up better off because of it.

Talk about DUH! Don't you feel silly now?
Sheesh! How would it play if Obama said "Police officers think they work so hard, well, there are a whole lot of hard-working people out there." Or "Teachers think they are so smart, but they did not build the schools or hire the maintenance staff or arrange the buses." Or "Government workers would not even exist if it weren't for taxpayers." Or "Social workers couldn't exist without oxygen."

Guess what? All those statements are true. They are also obnoxious--and stupid. Just like the ENTIRETY of Obama's statement about our entrepreneurs. The snippet is only a small part of the problem with his statement. Extremely few people argue the necessity of social goods and services; the idea that the better-off pay disproportionately more to pay for them is well-entrenched in our society. Obama's classic technique, the Straw Man argument, is to pretend that business people do not understand that roads and sanitation are important to society, and pretend that they object to paying for them. The upper quintile of income pays far more than their share of total income in taxes. Yet the Community-Organizer-in-Chief cannot shut up since stirring up envy and jealousy and attack politics are the only courses available to him as a re-election strategy. His signature accomplishment, ACA, is a flawed partisan hash that is wildly unpopular. The performance of the economy is tragically pathetic. The federal budget is in the worst shape ever--with no hope of improvement at the hands of the "we didn't waste enough money to get to prosperity" crowd.

Meanwhile, President Obama's own Simpson Bowles Commission produced a bi-partisan, comprehensive set of recommendations to address our major challenges. All he has done since the report was issued is spout proposals that are the exact opposite of its recommendations--and continue his attack on one line of business after another, except when he attacks all of them at once.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 PM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
America was created by individuals. Individuals ALLOW the government to collect taxes to be used for infrastructure building that they WILLINGLY approve - such that future individuals can continue to create wealth for themselves and growth opportunities in America.

at least that was the idea.
Both of you are saying the same thing except you're phrasing it differently and getting emotional about it. The guy pays taxes. He obviously knows, as does every normal adult, that people pay for taxes. YOu failed to discuss the overall point of his comment or put it into context. Government plays a role in establishing a vibrant economy.

Those tin foil hat wearing morons who cluelessly lose sight of that need a reminder from time to time. Typically they live in states that my taxes subsidize, so it would be appreciated if they could collectively learn what they're talking about.

Again, you're saying the same thing as he is but you're emotional about it.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:10 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Sheesh! How would it play if Obama said "Police officers think they work so hard, well, there are a whole lot of hard-working people out there." Or "Teachers think they are so smart, but they did not build the schools or hire the maintenance staff or arrange the buses." Or "Government workers would not even exist if it weren't for taxpayers." Or "Social workers couldn't exist without oxygen."

Guess what? All those statements are true. They are also obnoxious--and stupid. Just like the ENTIRETY of Obama's statement about our entrepreneurs. The snippet is only a small part of the problem with his statement. Extremely few people argue the necessity of social goods and services; the idea that the better-off pay disproportionately more to pay for them is well-entrenched in our society. Obama's classic technique, the Straw Man argument, is to pretend that business people do not understand that roads and sanitation are important to society, and pretend that they object to paying for them. The upper quintile of income pays far more than their share of total income in taxes. Yet the Community-Organizer-in-Chief cannot shut up since stirring up envy and jealousy and attack politics are the only courses available to him as a re-election strategy. His signature accomplishment, ACA, is a flawed partisan hash that is wildly unpopular. The performance of the economy is tragically pathetic. The federal budget is in the worst shape ever--with no hope of improvement at the hands of the "we didn't waste enough money to get to prosperity" crowd.

Meanwhile, President Obama's own Simpson Bowles Commission produced a bi-partisan, comprehensive set of recommendations to address our major challenges. All he has done since the report was issued is spout proposals that are the exact opposite of its recommendations--and continue his attack on one line of business after another, except when he attacks all of them at once.
Agreed. The part in red is exactly my issue with Obama's statement, even if one interprets his speech like the left does.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,912,825 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Both of you are saying the same thing except you're phrasing it differently and getting emotional about it. The guy pays taxes. He obviously knows, as does every normal adult, that people pay for taxes. YOu failed to discuss the overall point of his comment or put it into context. Government plays a role in establishing a vibrant economy.

Those tin foil hat wearing morons who cluelessly lose sight of that need a reminder from time to time. Typically they live in states that my taxes subsidize, so it would be appreciated if they could collectively learn what they're talking about.

a funny thing about caring, you get emotional.

a funny thing about not caring, you don't.

i am not saying the same thing at all as obama- because i have respect for the citizens, for the private sector, and for the freedom that we have previously enjoyed-and i understand that we have been able to enjoy them because we had a vibrant private sector at one time-not because we had a big government.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
His state of the union address was basically a republican plan--move corporate taxes down to a more competitive level with the rest of the world, close the loopholes, and reward businesses that hire in THIS country. That's about as pro small business as it gets, but god forbid that the tea party let any kind of legislation pass--no matter how much sense it makes--under this administration.
I hate to inform you but state of union addresses, dont create policies

Old 07-22-2012, 07:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post

Wrong again. Government BENEFITS from a vibrant economy, and gets punished when there isnt one, but that doesnt mean government has a ROLE in establishing one.

GOVERNMENT CAN NOT BOOST THE ECONOMY WITHOUT FIRST NEGATIVELY AFFECTING IT.. Where the hell do you think the money comes from?

Old 07-22-2012, 08:01 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
:

a funny thing about caring, you get emotional.

a funny thing about not caring, you don't.

i am not saying the same thing at all as obama- because i have respect for the citizens, for the private sector, and for the freedom that we have previously enjoyed-and i understand that we have been able to enjoy them because we had a vibrant private sector at one time-not because we had a big government.
I care very deeply about a lot of things, but I don't get irrational and overly emotional when I care about them, because it doesn't help anything, or help me make my case.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:04 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I hate to inform you but state of union addresses, dont create policies
Really! You're kidding me! You're so SMART!

Funny how I went on to talk about how the tea party has blocked just about every piece of legislation he's tried to pass, all of it based on his policy agenda set out in the state of the union address. I'm assuming that part flew right over your head?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections