U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:08 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,705,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There is not one word in the constitution about marriage. It's a states issue.

Here's the 1st amendment.......

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Nowhere does it say "separation of church and state".

But I digress.....atheist's ARE protected from forced religious observances in school. A Ten Commandments Plaque hanging in the hallway does not constitute "forced religion".

States have Constitutions too and they may not supersede the nation's founding document.

In any case, you seem to be saying that the rights of gays and atheist's do not, or should not, have the same level of protection as your rights because you disagree with how they use them.

Is that a fair summation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:28 AM

5,313 posts, read 7,592,058 times
These threads about business owners owing thanks to government and having to humbly concede that without the gov they wouldn't be there, are really getting to me.

I am not a business owner.

These people had a choice of what to do with their own money. They could have not invested it in addition to their blood, sweat, and tears. Instead, they've decided to smartly invest their already taxed money into a business that creates even more revenue for the gov.

They don't owe any thanks to the gov. They did the work. They continue to pay taxes. Why should they owe anyone?

Yes, there are a lot of smart people. However, the rest of the non business owners, myself included, did not choose to begin a business. The only thing business owners owe people is the goods or services they provide to their paying customers.

To say they owe more than that is just ridiculous.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:32 AM

4,260 posts, read 2,983,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
The only thing business owners owe people is the goods or services they provide to their paying customers.

To say they owe more than that is just ridiculous.

And a paycheck to their employees.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:33 AM

5,313 posts, read 7,592,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
And a paycheck to their employees.
You're right. Sorry. Forgot that one

Old 07-24-2012, 05:40 AM

35,379 posts, read 19,388,360 times
Default Republicans, do you feel like your party has left you?

I'm another former Republican.

The current shape of the GOP disgusts me. I've made monetary contributions to the GOP in the past. Now, my vote and my money go to the Democrats. And not because I'm at all enthusiastic about their party. But they're the only feasible opposition to the neocon/religious weirdo/corporate agenda that threatens the future of America.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:41 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,359,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
Business taxes do not fund roads and education.
Well business owners own homes where they pay property tax!

I own multiple businesses(I started with one sold it, then started another, and another, etc.) and pay high property taxes in the City of Atlanta and send my three children to private schools. So I do not get anything in return for my school tax.

I guess I didn't start my business without help. But wait it was my parents who paid for my private k-12, college, and my initial investment! Not the government!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:59 AM

17,209 posts, read 8,718,659 times
righties will be critical of their party, I dont see this much from lefties. When your own party makes you sick and the other party makes you sicker whats a voter to do?

Old 07-24-2012, 06:19 AM

15,401 posts, read 17,700,027 times
I was a Republican for over 20 years I even voted for Bush over Gore. I got disgusted with the party during Bush's first term. Not just Bush, but the GOP went way too far to the right. And they go angry and changed their character for the worse.

So I thought for a year or two and finally switched parties from Repub to Democrat. It's been 5 years now.

My spouse has been a Repub for many years. But spouse is also saddened by his party and began voting for Democrats over the past couple years. Spouse won't change the voter registration quite yet.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:05 AM

11,039 posts, read 6,151,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
righties will be critical of their party, I dont see this much from lefties. When your own party makes you sick and the other party makes you sicker whats a voter to do?
You haven't been paying attention if you think the left is never critical of their own side. There has been a lot of criticism of Obama from the left for governing from the center-right much of the time. I think many Democrats were expecting him to be more progressive than he has proven to be. The difference is that you don't see Democrats calling him a DINO or a traitor or calling for him to be ejected from the party. The Republican party of old never used to behave this way either, before it was usurped by the fundamentalist Christian right.

From the few who have actually answered the question of the thread, it seems that the moderate Republicans are out there wandering around in search of a party. There are enough disaffected Democrats as well--it would be interesting if they could come together and form a moderate party. After all of the swings to the fringes, it would be refreshing to have the choice of a party that reflected the middle ground, which is where most Americans reside.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 AM

10,115 posts, read 7,011,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"Judge Richard Posner, a conservative on the 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago, has long been one of the nation's most respected and admired legal thinkers on the right. But in an interview with NPR, he expressed exasperation at the modern Republican Party, and confessed that he has become "less conservative" as a result.

Posner expressed admiration for President Ronald Reagan and the economist Milton Friedman, two pillars of conservatism. But over the past 10 years, Posner said, "there's been a real deterioration in conservative thinking. And that has to lead people to re-examine and modify their thinking."

"I've become less conservative since the Republican Party started becoming goofy," he said."

Federal Judge Richard Posner: The GOP Has Made Me Less Conservative : It's All Politics : NPR

There were over 500 responses to this article, and most seemed to be from disgruntled Republicans who agree with Posner. Many said they hold the same conservative views as they did 10 years ago, but that the GOP "left them" by moving so far to the right. Do Conservatives on C-D agree or disagree with this?
Sounds exactly right, but when you say the same thing here, you get called a plant for the DNC. The tea party end of the R spectrum is completely tone deaf to other R's. They're taking things too far, and it's going to backfire on them in the end. The problem is that all conservatives are paying for the tea partys inability to see reason and their willingness to attack other Rs if there's any kind of disagreement in the ranks. It's a pity. The R big tent is about the size of a paper drink umbrella these days...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or