U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
Reputation: 7720

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
My young friend, there were also volunteers who fought and died in Vietnam.
Yes, there were. But, none of them were named Romney, Cheney or Bush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2012, 05:32 AM
 
16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Reputation: 9518
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, there were. But, none of them were named Romney, Cheney or Bush.
The Texas Air National Guard could have been called up, but they weren't. Bush wore the uniform of our military and served honorably. I won't pretend to make excuses for Cheney, Romney or Obama. They chose not to serve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 05:36 AM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
21,411 posts, read 14,357,337 times
Reputation: 15846
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchNsniff View Post
Oh brother, not this again! Didn't we already suffer enough from GW and HIS daddy issues [coughcough Iraq coughcough]??

I think he wants to be president to gain even more money. I think he wants to sell America out to the highest bidder, who happens to be Sheldon Adelson, who happens to want the justice system in his front shirt pocket. Now there's my lefty liberal conspiracy theory for y'all!
Daddy issues stick around. John Quincy Adams had them too.

Mitt has all the money he wants, just like George W. For guys like them, money falls off the trees, so making more isn't the challenge it once was when they were young, and definitely is not as exciting as running for President.

George Romney was wealthy, but less than his son, and he also gave up the money chase to run for President. The Kennedy family, the Rockefeller family, and many other families of the ultra-rich were instilled as children to get into public service. For these families, making money was just a given. The Rockefeller sons never knew the extent of their wealth, because their family trust pays all the bills. They had no need for extravagant mansions or all the other trappings of the newly rich because they already had them. They were completely free to go into any venture they wanted, as long as it had something to do with the public good.

Mitt's own ambition to do even better than his father started young, and his father probably approved and supported it- all fathers want to see their sons do even better than they, from the poorest dirt farmer to the man who lives in a 37 room mansion.

What's left for these folks after the money chase is abandoned? Some of the Rockefellers went into politics. One became a naturalist and bought the land that became Teton National Park. Another has devoted his life to collecting fine art and donating it to museums. All these endeavors are aimed toward the public good in some way, because that's what their father trained them to do from childhood on.

When Mitt got into Massachusetts politics and lost his first time out, it presented a challenge to him that he had never experienced before. When he won the Governorship, the win validated that challenge, and he came away with wanting more. When he lost in 2008, he came away with wanting more again.

Political ambition is something almost all of us do not want or seek. But it becomes an overpowering drive for those who take to it, and defeat only intensifies the drive. Who can say what the rewards are, unless they have that drive?

Certainly, for some, money is the main reason. For others, proving they reached above their expected station in life to the folks back home is a reason. Some are just carrying on the family business, like Rand Paul.

But for a multi-millionaire, could it be the international respect, the world-wide fame, the acknowledgement that a life served in public service is more noble than grubbing for money? That the opportunity to change the course of the nation and the world is a bigger legacy than just the making of money?

Given Mitt's religion, could it be his ultimate ambition is being a member of the high councils within his church?
Religious ambitions are just as strong as any others. A failed Presidential candidate is still a very rare person, after all, and still carries a lot of stuff the common man on the street can never claim.

The very wealthy are not like you and me. They take things for granted that are so out of our common reach those things never enter our minds. They are sometimes allowed to stumble, but they will never fall so hard they break their noses
I have no better idea of why Mitt's running than yours, but I suspect than more money isn't the reason. You and I can see where selling the country, if such a thing was even capable of being done, would put lots of bucks in our pockets. but why would Mitt want to destroy his family's future? He has a hell of a lot more invested in this country, in cash, than you or I can even conceive of having.

There is no highest bidder. The people with the most money in the world all have their sights set higher than just the United States. There is a point where more money is meaningless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,723 posts, read 8,296,447 times
Reputation: 5784
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Daddy issues. Mitt wants what his father couldn't get.
Dreams From My Father.

What does this even mean and why would a person who no one even knows write an autobiography? Conceit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 08:33 AM
 
4,414 posts, read 3,354,577 times
Reputation: 2321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Dreams From My Father.

What does this even mean and why would a person who no one even knows write an autobiography? Conceit?
The official line was that he started publishing to make money in order to pay off student loans. And a certain amount of conceit as you can't succeed in politics without it.

I don't buy that Romney has "Daddy issues." He's just that driven. However, I think he wants the Presidency for the prestige of the office and not because he really wants to govern. He's not giving any policy based reasons for non-millionaires to vote for him, only to vote against Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,955 posts, read 22,099,030 times
Reputation: 10687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
For some reason, you refuse to see what I'm saying and keep returning to Mormonism.
Maybe that's because you keep bringing up his Mormon mission.

Quote:
He used his Mormon mission as a very convenient excuse not to. If he could have used a Methodist mission for the same purpose, I doubt he would have passed up the opportunity.
Well, here's where you're wrong, but I'm clearly not going to change your mind, so feel free to have the last word.

Quote:
I have a good idea they were higher after the games than before.
They're higher every year than they were the year before.

Quote:
I see Romney as a guy who thinks he's entitled. He's lived a life of luxury and privilege reserved for royalty. Now, he wants to add President of the United States to his resume. It shouldn't be that difficult for the man to express something a little more profound than "I'm not Obama."

He hasn't been able to offer a good answer to the question posed in this thread.
I agree. That's why I'm not voting for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 09:43 AM
 
2,493 posts, read 2,193,007 times
Reputation: 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I believe Romney genuinely feels a duty to step up and try to save American from socialism/liberalism and secular humanism. He doesn't need the money.

So when he was running in 2008, he was trying to save us from the socialism/liberalism of the Bush era?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 AM
 
2,493 posts, read 2,193,007 times
Reputation: 3351
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
There are more ways to show love of country then wearing a military uniform btw when and where did Obama serve?

Actually, there was no war going on when Obama was of military age.
Mitt and his five sons were all of age during wars they supported, but did not serve in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 AM
 
Location: New Mexico
8,388 posts, read 8,336,810 times
Reputation: 4070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Actually, there was no war going on when Obama was of military age.
Mitt and his five sons were all of age during wars they supported, but did not serve in.

Contemporary wars are for the working class to fight. The investment class is meant to profit. Eisenhower tried to warn us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
29,346 posts, read 39,733,291 times
Reputation: 18785
Romney believes he has the right ideas and policies to address the problems we face. I think he is sincere. In fact, I think that his ideas may be among the better ones. In many ways, I truly wish that Romney could get a shot with his ideas. But to get elected as a Republican he had to sell his soul and his intellect to the right wing of his party denying evolution, backing off on the reality of greenhouse gases, attacking benefits going to women and the elderly and rattling those right wing sabers again.

If elected, he would have to pander for another 4 years. Romney is not running on and would not be able to govern on his agenda. The results of caving to the tea party and the social wingnuts would be a disaster for the country. We can't vote for the real Romney with any confidence that we would get him. For me, its four more years of the devil I know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top