U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2012, 04:17 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,628,491 times

Advertisements

Not a fan of Rasmussen. I usually ad a couple of points to their polls towards Obama. Here's the latest results from MI: Election 2012: Michigan President - Rasmussen Reports™

I think many are missing the point when it comes to the Bain attacks. They are for the swing states only.

Perhaps assumptions that the Bain attacks backfired were a bit premature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 05:12 PM

14,969 posts, read 14,171,767 times
Uhh...crb, the last Rasmussen poll in MI had Obama up by 8 (and at 50%).

Michigan: Obama 50%, Romney 42% - Rasmussen Reports™

This one has him up by 6 (and at just 48%).

So IF the Obama campaign was running anti-Romney/anti-Bain ads in MI, then you could use this poll as evidence that the ads were backfiring. But, they're not running ads in MI. MI is not really a swing state. They may start running ads there if they get concerned about it, but they have not so far.

Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 PM

5,787 posts, read 3,962,848 times
Wow dude!!!!

You aren't seriously attempting to say Scott Rasmussen's polls prove that are you???

Here is the truth from the horse's mouth:

Bain Attacks Fail to Shake Up Presidential Race

by: Scott Rasmussen

Old 07-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,559,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Not a fan of Rasmussen. I usually ad a couple of points to their polls towards Obama. Here's the latest results from MI: Election 2012: Michigan President - Rasmussen Reports™

I think many are missing the point when it comes to the Bain attacks. They are for the swing states only.

Agreed re: the impact on swing states, and also apparently on Independents. And I think theres also been a recent Gallup poll showing similar results as Reuters/Ipsos (below).

Obama Attacks On Taxes, Bain Hit Mitt Romney's Ratings: Poll

WASHINGTON, July 24 (Reuters) - Sustained attacks by President Barack Obama's campaign on Republican rival Mitt Romney's business history and refusal to release more tax records appear to be working, a Reuters/Ipsos poll showed on Tuesday.

More than a third of voters who are registered to a party or as an independent said in the online survey that what they had heard about Romney's taxes and his time at Bain Capital private equity firm had given them a less favorable impression of the Republican candidate.

And particularly worrying for Romney is that a large slice of independent voters -- whom he needs to win the Nov. 6 election -- are also buying into the Obama campaign's portrayal of him as a ruthless businessman who may be hiding something in his taxes.

"With three-quarters of registered voters saying they've heard at least a little about these issues, I would say the Obama campaign has been successful in raising them to the national conscience," said Ipsos pollster Julia Clark.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
And I think theres also been a recent Gallup poll showing similar results as Reuters/Ipsos (below).
Ehh....not really.

Poll: Romney preferred over Obama to handle the economy

Quote:
By more than 2-1, 63%-29%, those surveyed say Romney's background in business, including his tenure at the private equity firm Bain Capital, would cause him to make good decisions, not bad ones, in dealing with the nation's economic problems over the next four years.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:19 PM

1,433 posts, read 992,730 times
Quote:

Because that's not partisan.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:38 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,732,528 times
Quote:

Those ads get run because they work. If they didn't, the Obama machine would spend the money elsewhere. It's not rocket science. The same applies to how Romney uses his money.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM

5,787 posts, read 3,962,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
Those ads get run because they work. If they didn't, the Obama machine would spend the money elsewhere. It's not rocket science.

Except they aren't working......

Old 07-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt800 View Post
Except they aren't working......

Plus they're not even being run in MI - or at least the Obama campaign is not running ads in MI. Perhaps one (or some) of the pro-Obama Super PAC's is/are running ads there, but the Obama campaign itself does not consider MI to be a state it has to worry about.

Per PPP's twitter feed, the MI poll they will release tomorrow has Obama up double digits. I wonder if OP will subtract more than "a couple" of points from Obama in that poll since it's PPP, which has been rated as more biased than Rasmussen this cycle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or