Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 10:17 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,406,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oprah pretty much got Obama through the dem primaries and into the white house. Why are you dismissing a powerful rich black woman?
We're talking about BILLIONAIRES and their $$$ contributions to the 2012 election in order to get Obama out of the White House. See OP. List of 26 billionaires and their $$$ spent to influence the election.

Don't know if Oprah made big $$$ donations back in 2008. But we're talking about 2012 election. Has Opra pledged large money to any super PAC to help re-elect Obama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM

78,366 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is exactly why people need to realize that Romney MUST be stopped. He would be the ultimate puppet of the corporations. So all of the idiots talking about President Obama not being a friend to business owners are in for a BIG surprise if Romney does (by some remote chance) win.

So get off of your behinds people. Romney is NOT the solution. We should not cut off our nose to spite our face.
Gee, who just passed legislation requiring the American people to buy insurance from the large corporations (for profit)?

I actually support national healthcare, I just think it's funny how blind some of you are to how strong the corporate influence is within both parties.

Quick question....which 2 candidates got the most money from Exxon in 2008?

Spoiler
Obama and Clinton

You don't care though, like many here you will vote party loyalty and then reinvent reality in your mind to justify it all. I bet you were anti-war once upon a time too.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Gee, who just passed legislation requiring the American people to buy insurance from the large corporations (for profit)?

I actually support national healthcare, I just think it's funny how blind some of you are to how strong the corporate influence is within both parties.

Quick question....which 2 candidates got the most money from Exxon in 2008?

Spoiler
Obama and Clinton

You don't care though, like many here you will vote party loyalty and then reinvent reality in your mind to justify it all. I bet you were anti-war once upon a time too.
So you like the Citizens United ruling (2010 I believe). AFTER the 2008 election?

Did Exon spend hundreds of millions of dollars for Obama and Clinton in the elections prior to 2010?

This thread is not about party loyalty. It's about the HUGE amounts of money corporations and people can give to super PACs to influence the outcome of our elections, SPECIFICALLY, the 26 billionaires on the list provided by Bernie Sanders. You sort of seem to be taking the thread off track.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:39 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
billionaires want total power and all the money, they would like to see this country like china and india full of practically free labor..

Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
billionaires want total power and all the money, they would like to see this country like china and india full of practically free labor..
And as I like to say, they would like for us to be slaves, but they probably would object to providing food and shelter.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:57 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
2012 Presidential Race | OpenSecrets

Here's information on both presidential candidates.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:37 PM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,895 times
I own businesses and use entities because if you do not you are held personally liable if anything happens. So I would be sued personally if somebody slipped in one of my rental properties instead of the entity. Of course liberals would want this because they would rather sue to get money instead of work.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I own businesses and use entities because if you do not you are held personally liable if anything happens. So I would be sued personally if somebody slipped in one of my rental properties instead of the entity. Of course liberals would want this because they would rather sue to get money instead of work.
And what does this ^^^ have to do with the list of 26 billionaires who are donating Huge $$$ amounts to super PACs in order to basically "buy" the 2012 election? Major goal is to get Obama out of the White House. We're not talking about slip-and-fall injuries or lawsuits or what liberals "would rather" do.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:13 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
I wonder when corporations will be able to run for Presidency, imagine Exxon being the next President of America.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:21 AM

684 posts, read 825,024 times
All a Super-pac can do is spend money on ad campaigns and the like.

That doesn't sound like buying an election. If that were the case, that would suggest that Americans as a whole didn't take the time to educate themselves on both sides of the issues and instead allowed talking heads and pundits on both sides of the aisle to dictate their beliefs.

As Democracy requires an informed and passionate populace to work, that wouldn't be the fault of the Billionaires at all. That would be the fault of the average man not taking the time to become informed on the various issues of the day. In that case, the election isn't being bought so much as people don't care enough to make Democracy work.

Can someone explain how advertising is 'buying' an election?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections