Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 08:09 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,159,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
How does requiring your information to be public, violate your privacy? How about this, why arent peoples donations to Planned Parenthood public? How is that any different than a campaign contribution?

ITS YOUR MONEY.. what you do with it, is YOUR BUSINESS.. Not mine. Why do you feel the need to tell the world what you do with your money?
Well the Supreme Court didn't seem to have problems with disclosure requirements and in fact that grounded some of their rationale for Citizens United.

So I guess you believe that people should be able to donate any sum of money to politicians and no one else should be able to know about it.

You don't see any negative consequence to that behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 08:21 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Well the Supreme Court didn't seem to have problems with disclosure requirements and in fact that grounded some of their rationale for Citizens United.

So I guess you believe that people should be able to donate any sum of money to politicians and no one else should be able to know about it.

You don't see any negative consequence to that behavior?
You didnt answer the question, you only avoided it.

This is where you left wing kooks get hypocritical. "Yes, we demand disclosure, ooh we're discussing something we support, nooo, we cant have disclosure, thats a violation to privacy".

Once again I ask you, if we're going to now demand full disclosure of everyone in private individuals lives, then why is abortion any different?

The fact that there would be negative consequences, doesnt mean its ok, no more than there are negative consequences to Obamacare, but it got passed anyways, again, something you supported.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
You didnt answer the question, you only avoided it.

This is where you left wing kooks get hypocritical. "Yes, we demand disclosure, ooh we're discussing something we support, nooo, we cant have disclosure, thats a violation to privacy".

Once again I ask you, if we're going to now demand full disclosure of everyone in private individuals lives, then why is abortion any different?

The fact that there would be negative consequences, doesnt mean its ok, no more than there are negative consequences to Obamacare, but it got passed anyways, again, something you supported.
I don't think it is a violation of privacy to require individuals, corporations, unions and non-profits to have their identities disclosed if they donate more than $10,000. Does that answer your question.

As for donations to planned parenthood I wouldn't care if they disclosed that I put a dollar in their cup. You see I am not ashamed of the organizations or politicians that I support (I don't support planned parenthood). The people that want to hide from the public don't want people to see that they gave millions to a politician and then got favorable legislation.

Now for you I guess this doesn't bother you that politicians of both parties can be bought off in secret. Unless you are yourself one of these big donors I don't see how you or the rest of us for that matter can benefit from this sort of secrecy.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:35 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
Ann Romney has said that one of the reasons she opposes disclosure of her family's tax returns and other financial information is that they know people will criticize/attack the family for what's contained in those documents. That position of hiding information from the public is evident, also, in Mr. Romney's refusal to be more specific regarding the actions he'll take if elected President - actions he says will turn the country around, reverse programs approved by Congress and the President these psat 3.5 years, etc. He asks us to wait until after he's President to see what he'll do. The man lacks character and integrity sufficient to be considered for the position he's been applying for. A CEO of a company would never hire someone like him ... if he behaved in a job interview for an executive position the way he's behaved in this election year. That's something his GOP rivals in the primary process also pointed-out.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
I don't think it is a violation of privacy to require individuals, corporations, unions and non-profits to have their identities disclosed if they donate more than $10,000. Does that answer your question.
So you have no problem with violating peoples right to privacy?
Quote:
As for donations to planned parenthood I wouldn't care if they disclosed that I put a dollar in their cup. You see I am not ashamed of the organizations or politicians that I support (I don't support planned parenthood).
But left wing kooks shout that if planned parenthood donators were made public, then people wouldnt donate. So your opinion is not consistant with the rest of the lefties
Quote:
The people that want to hide from the public don't want people to see that they gave millions to a politician and then got favorable legislation.

Now for you I guess this doesn't bother you that politicians of both parties can be bought off in secret. Unless you are yourself one of these big donors I don't see how you or the rest of us for that matter can benefit from this sort of secrecy.
Lets try this as an experiment. Why dont you scan bank account records and upload them for all of us to see. Lets see how much disclosure you're willing to approve, all in the name of not supporting privacy..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
And the Obama crowd tells nothing but the truth. ha ha ha ha ha

Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
"Facts are stupid things."
- Ronald Reagan (1988)

Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
So you have no problem with violating peoples right to privacy?

But left wing kooks shout that if planned parenthood donators were made public, then people wouldnt donate. So your opinion is not consistant with the rest of the lefties

Lets try this as an experiment. Why dont you scan bank account records and upload them for all of us to see. Lets see how much disclosure you're willing to approve, all in the name of not supporting privacy..
So people making donations of tens of thousands and perhaps millions of dollars to politicians is the same as me disclosing my bank records.

The fact that you see these things as analogous is troubling.

But let's play that game. Do you think that you should need a government ID to have a checking account? Do you think that the bank should have to report deposits over a certain amount to the federal government? Should I have to submit to a search before boarding an airplane. All of these things are invasions of privacy but the right to privacy is not absolute (it isn't even in the Constitution).

This is that problem with being a partisan hack, it is better to be consistent than to be right. I really don't care if Planned Parenthood has to reveal its donors if it means that Crossroads GPS and MoveOn have to reveal their donors too.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:22 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
I really don't care if Planned Parenthood has to reveal its donors if it means that Crossroads GPS and MoveOn have to reveal their donors too.
That sounds like a fair trade to me!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:48 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,733,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
Ann Romney has said that one of the reasons she opposes disclosure of her family's tax returns and other financial information is that they know people will criticize/attack the family for what's contained in those documents. That position of hiding information from the public is evident, also, in Mr. Romney's refusal to be more specific regarding the actions he'll take if elected President - actions he says will turn the country around, reverse programs approved by Congress and the President these psat 3.5 years, etc. He asks us to wait until after he's President to see what he'll do. The man lacks character and integrity sufficient to be considered for the position he's been applying for. A CEO of a company would never hire someone like him ... if he behaved in a job interview for an executive position the way he's behaved in this election year. That's something his GOP rivals in the primary process also pointed-out.
Good response Gomexico, sorry it won't let me rep you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections