U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-27-2012, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Reputation: 41810

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowmike View Post
Why should Pelosi be attacked? She isn't running for President. If you want to attack Pelosi, why not Darrell Issa? He's the richest person in Congress and began his career stealing cars.

Unlike Romney, FDR and JFK, (even though they were rich) cared about the poor and middle class. Romney earlier stated that he didn't care about the poor. That they have a safety net. Yet his intention, if elected, is to tear that safety net down.

Some people can be rich and still relate to the other 98%. Romney can't.
I don't disagree with you on that: I was simply commenting on the posting that said she was attacked as badly. Whether they did or didn't care about the poor isn't the point, the point is the attacks strictly based on his wealth..That is the subject of this thread, not who cares about who.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-27-2012, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Reputation: 41810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Pelosi never ran and Kerry supplied his income taxes. They are on Romney more because he won't. There is a reason that he won't.
And Romney has supplied his as well. Can you please tell me, anyone for that matter and I have asked this over and over: do you really think it would make a difference if he supplies 10 years taxes, do you think everyone would then drop the subject and why is it so important to know what his taxes say? This has nothing to do with his ability to run the country. What do you think the reason could be for his not releasing them? What do you know that no one else does? Nothing!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 03:48 PM
 
Location: FL
15,810 posts, read 8,828,381 times
Reputation: 3841
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And Romney has supplied his as well. Can you please tell me, anyone for that matter and I have asked this over and over: do you really think it would make a difference if he supplies 10 years taxes, do you think everyone would then drop the subject and why is it so important to know what his taxes say? This has nothing to do with his ability to run the country. What do you think the reason could be for his not releasing them? What do you know that no one else does? Nothing!!!!!
Romney supplied one year and the estimate for 2011. The biggest question is why won't he. I think it is because of when he said he left Bain and when he really did. It doesn't really matter to me because I think that he is already sinking himself and he isn't even the nominee yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 04:06 PM
F40
 
Location: 85379^85268
826 posts, read 729,892 times
Reputation: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And Romney has supplied his as well. Can you please tell me, anyone for that matter and I have asked this over and over: do you really think it would make a difference if he supplies 10 years taxes, do you think everyone would then drop the subject and why is it so important to know what his taxes say? This has nothing to do with his ability to run the country. What do you think the reason could be for his not releasing them? What do you know that no one else does? Nothing!!!!!

Yes it would make a difference.

No people would not just drop it after he released his returns, One side or the other side would try and use it to score political points. But he will not release them ever.

It could show what a CONNIVER he is albeit legal, but how patriotic he is or isn't by the way he games the system. And we kow how morally superior The Republicons are to Democrats. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 04:16 PM
 
10,958 posts, read 6,110,956 times
Reputation: 5936
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And Romney has supplied his as well. Can you please tell me, anyone for that matter and I have asked this over and over: do you really think it would make a difference if he supplies 10 years taxes, do you think everyone would then drop the subject and why is it so important to know what his taxes say? This has nothing to do with his ability to run the country. What do you think the reason could be for his not releasing them? What do you know that no one else does? Nothing!!!!!
Romney provided part of one year, with the promise of another year in October, and is absolutely refusing to provide any more. Do you think that anyone who works as hard as he is to keep something hidden does so for no reason whatsoever?

Apparently even Romney disagrees with you that whatever is there is unimportant. If he agreed with you, he would release them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 04:42 PM
 
1,231 posts, read 892,870 times
Reputation: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Why should he be? Contributions to religious organizations are hardly illegal. Anyway, by now, pretty much everybody knows that he tithes. They also have a rough idea of what he's worth. What would knowing what he gave to the LDS Church tell us?
Well, if we knew the amount he contributes it would roughly tell us his taxable income by doing the math IF we assume he tithes the the MANDATORY 10% needed to earn a "temple recommend"......leaving the LDS church wondering still whether or not he is cheating them.

He does have a temple recommend and is a High Priest which is why I will not vote for him....separation of church and state rules in my world and, I believe, even in that silly Constitution of ours.

And before anyone goes 'there', JFK was not a Catholic priest and apparently did not believe that God is a humanoid who lives on planet Kolob.

Alas, taxable income and actual wealth are not the same, so neither we nor the LDS church will ever know Mittens' true net worth. He probably can buy himself and family a nice large planet in a good location, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 04:44 PM
 
Location: Long Island, NY
19,717 posts, read 11,571,499 times
Reputation: 5613
As Mellowmike said, FDR, Kennedy, Kerry and Pelosi are or were all rich but they supported policies against their class. Romney favors policies for the rich and acts like he thinks he's better than the middle-class. Then, he can't understand why he can't connect with regular people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 05:09 PM
 
574 posts, read 377,568 times
Reputation: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Neither were attacked in anyway like Romney, especially Pelosi...I don't believe Kennedy was hammered for his wealth either, nor was FDR. So, no, overall none has been blasted the way Romney has, but that is all the left can do because there isn't much for them to cheer about.

Nita
Another bald-face lie from the "incredibly stupid, ot willfully ignorant" crowd...

Pelosi is not a candidate for president, is she?
As far as FDR and JFK, I wasn't alive for either, though you probably voted in both...

The request for Romney's tax returns has nothing to do with him being wealthy, but how he achieved...and/or subsequently hid, his wealth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-27-2012, 05:28 PM
 
7,030 posts, read 6,998,651 times
Reputation: 5859
Default Pelosi Not Required to Show Tax Returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
The only thing bad about romney's tax returns are the fact that they show how stupid the tax system currently is.

But yes, it is very hypocritical but that's what lefties are known for.
Candidates running for President are called upon to provide their tax returns. Wives of the candidates are not. Do you see Ann Romney providing hers to show how she received the shell corporation from her husband when he ran for Govenor? NOT!

Members of the House and Senate are not required to post their tax returns. Although I wish they were, because many of them are millionaires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,965 posts, read 22,136,801 times
Reputation: 10705
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
Well, if we knew the amount he contributes it would roughly tell us his taxable income by doing the math IF we assume he tithes the the MANDATORY 10% needed to earn a "temple recommend"......leaving the LDS church wondering still whether or not he is cheating them.
The LDS Church isn't wondering anything of the sort. Yes, the payment of a "full tithe" is mandatory to get a temple recommend, as are a whole list of other things, none of which is ever mentioned by people trying to denegrade Mitt's religious beliefs. The Church, however, has no rules governing how a "full tithe" is to be calculated. For instance, if a member of the Church were to ask his bishop (i.e. the leader of his local congregation) whether he should be paying tithing on his gross earnings or his after-tax earnings, he would be told to simply follow his conscience and that the calculation of a "full tithe" was between him and the Lord. I pay on my gross income; my husband pays on his net. The Church considers both of us to be full tithe payers.

Quote:
He does have a temple recommend and is a High Priest which is why I will not vote for him....separation of church and state rules in my world and, I believe, even in that silly Constitution of ours.
Do you even know what that means? The LDS Church has a lay priesthood, which means that every male member of the Church over the age of 12 who is basically practicing his religion holds "the priesthood." My atheist brother-in-law loves telling people that he used to be a Mormon "Priest." Basically, all that's saying is that he was still attending church every week with his parents and no one had figured out that most of his free time was spent getting high. My husband is a "High Priest." That pretty much means he's been a practicing member of the Church for a very long time. Mormon Priests, Elders, and High Priests don't have divinity degrees from theological seminaries or divinity colleges. They don't wear priestly robes or collars. Most of them will never serve in leadership capacities in the Church. "The priesthood" is not at all the same thing in the LDS Church as it is in any Catholic or Protestant church. When you say that you would never vote for a Mormon High Priest for President, what you're really saying is that you wouldn't vote for a Mormon, period. If separation of church and state really rules in your world, that statement is, in and of itself, a huge contradiction. Someone who truly believes in separation of church and state would not use someone's religion as an excuse to vote against him.

Quote:
And before anyone goes 'there', JFK was not a Catholic priest and apparently did not believe that God is a humanoid who lives on planet Kolob.
Actually, Mormons believe that we humans were created by God, "in His image, after His likeness." That's about as biblical as you can get. As to where we believe God lives, that would be "in Heaven"; again, the Bible refers to Him as being "in Heaven" dozens of times.

Quote:
Alas, taxable income and actual wealth are not the same, so neither we nor the LDS church will ever know Mittens' true net worth. He probably can buy himself and family a nice large planet in a good location, though.
And what's your real reason for hating Mormons? Just curious. (By the way, I am a Mormon and will be voting for Obama. Religion has absolutely nothing to do with my choice.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top