U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM

14,969 posts, read 14,189,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
For those living in their parents' basement, they are able to stay on their parents' health insurance until age 26.

This means the parents and the young adult will be more likely to vote for Obama.
LOL...

I think they'd rather have jobs (or better jobs; some have jobs but at Starbucks or some place like that even after going to college) and the parents would rather them have jobs/better jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 AM

15,320 posts, read 17,534,722 times
For young college graduates, the unemployment rate was 9.4 percent for the year between April 2011–March 2012, while the underemployment rate was 19.1 percent.

This means 90% of recent college graduates are working. Hardly the picture that one expects after reading some of the posts in this thread. Geeze, you would think that most of them are unemployed. Just not the case.

stats are at this link: The Class of 2012: Labor market for young graduates remains grim | Economic Policy Institute

Last edited by sware2cod; 07-25-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 07-25-2012, 11:52 AM

13,904 posts, read 11,454,278 times
Quote:
For those living in their parents' basement, they are able to stay on their parents' health insurance until age 26.

This means the parents and the young adult will be more likely to vote for Obama.
Why on earth would this make parents vote for Obama? Why on earth do they want their kids mooching off their insurance that they (parents) pay for? Are libs so stupid as to think this extension of insurance to age 26 is FREE? Why yes, I believe they are.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Why on earth would this make parents vote for Obama? Why on earth do they want their kids mooching off their insurance that they (parents) pay for? Are libs so stupid as to think this extension of insurance to age 26 is FREE? Why yes, I believe they are.
Most parents do want their kids insured. That being said, many state laws before ObamaCare already allowed young adults to stay on their parents' health insurance. Virtually every state allowed it as long as the kids were in college and under a certain age and many allowed it even if they weren't in college.

I think the national mandate requiring young adults to be covered on their parents' insurance something that Republicans won't get rid of if Romney wins and the Senate flips to the GOP.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me thinks it just perpetuates the entitlement mentality BS, the other part of me thinks that it's better to make insurance more available to this group (and I am against ObamaCare in general).

Old 07-25-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Why on earth would this make parents vote for Obama? Why on earth do they want their kids mooching off their insurance that they (parents) pay for? .
First of all, if the parents don't want their 24 year on the insurance, they can choose to leave the 24-year old off the insurance. Most parents want their children to have health insurance because they know that even healthy young adults can have sudden unexpected accidents and illnesses that can be costly.

If the parents care enough about their 24 year old to allow them to live in their basement, a logical person would assume that the same parent cares enough about their 24 year old to add them to their insurance coverage.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
For young college graduates, the unemployment rate was 9.4 percent for the year between April 2011–March 2012, while the underemployment rate was 19.1 percent.

This means 90% of recent college graduates are working. Hardly the picture that one expects after reading some of the posts in this thread. Geeze, you would think that most of them are unemployed. Just not the case.

stats are at this link: The Class of 2012: Labor market for young graduates remains grim | Economic Policy Institute
You do realize that there are those who have dropped out of the labor force or who went to grad school and did not join the labor force (when they wouldn't have otherwise and they are racking up tons and tons more debt) and are not considered unemployed or underemployed, right?

You also realize that underemployed means they are working part time instead of full time, right? It does not mean they are not working retail or working at Starbucks or McDonalds' or waiting tables despite having a college degree.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post

I think the national mandate requiring young adults to be covered on their parents' insurance something that Republicans won't get rid of if Romney wins and the Senate flips to the GOP.
Romney and the GOP already said they plan to repeal Obamacare wholly. They have no plans to change it or keep parts of it.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Romney and the GOP already said they plan to repeal Obamacare wholly. They have no plans to change it or keep parts of it.
Yes, but some Republicans have provided hints that they plan to keep some provisions. Look - I don't think they should. While I'm not necessarily against allowing young adults to remain on their parents' insurance, I think it should be handled by state law - not federal mandate.

Furthermore, I think the best plan is to get these young adults good jobs so that they don't have to be on their parents' insurance.

At the end of the day, I think that insurance should not be employer-provided (and Romney's plan is intended to shift people away from being so reliant on employer-provided insurance). I think people should be buying their own plans. While states should mandate that the plans cover certain people, even if they didn't, you could simply buy another plan for anyone not covered who you wished to provide insurance for. Of course, you might not be able to afford it under current rates, but I think bringing the cost down overall should be the goal so that people would be able to afford it.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:49 PM

12,639 posts, read 7,298,359 times
Quote:

Except that mom and dad's employer health insurance is about to get canceled because of ObamaTax.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM

19,715 posts, read 11,534,071 times
Quote:
That's right and it makes a very good (why on Earth)reason to vote for Mr. Obama:
Quote:
Mr. Romney would not maintain two of the most popular provisions of Mr. Obama’s law — letting children under 26 stay on their parents’ health insurance and prohibiting insurers from denying coverage to first-time customers with pre-existing medical conditions. Mr. Romney does say that he would guarantee coverage for people with pre-existing conditions if they have been “insured in the past.” NYTIMES
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or